P-38 stock plane
Contribute Now
Goal amount for this year: 10000 USD, Received: 10,500.00 USD (105%)
Welcome Back, Unregistered     Today's Date:       Current Time: 

Please Support the SOH "2020 Charter Membership Drive"




Accepted Payment Types

Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: P-38 stock plane

  1. #1

    P-38 stock plane

    My p-38 stock plane will not take off until it reaches 170mph.
    Is there anything that I can do to correct this?
    This is the only aircraft that does this.
    Thanks JP

  2. #2
    Hello John,

    What you will find if you haven't realised it already is that the flight models on the stock aircraft are Horrible. The visual models are poor, but the flight models are worse. Best looking P-38 I have found to date has been "California Cutie".

    You have obviously modified the AIR file for the aircraft, otherwise you would not be able to fly it at all.

    - Ivan.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Hello John,

    What you will find if you haven't realised it already is that the flight models on the stock aircraft are Horrible. The visual models are poor, but the flight models are worse. Best looking P-38 I have found to date has been "California Cutie".

    You have obviously modified the AIR file for the aircraft, otherwise you would not be able to fly it at all.

    - Ivan.


    No I have not modified the air file. It lifts up at 170 mpg.
    What do I have to do to modified the air file?

  4. #4
    SOH Staff
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Confusion..... -8GMT
    Posts
    3,770
    hello John,
    i mean no offense, but, by chance
    are you talking about the cfs2 stock p-38?
    the reason i ask is, i notice that you frequent
    the cfs2 forum much more than here.

    if i am mistaken, i apologize
    and offer this quick fix,
    be aware that cfs1 and cfs2 air files
    are not compatible

    first, i think what Ivan was trying to say is
    the stock cfs1 P38 is a non flyable AI model.
    that is, unless you have modified it.
    either by editing the air file yourself
    or adding AI flyable files to the stock AI aircraft.

    i have attached a p38.zip. download and unzip it
    then, open the p38 folder in the cfs aircraft folder
    and rename the original p38.air file to, say, p38x.air
    now, copy my p38.air file that you unzipped
    and paste it into the cfs p38 aircraft folder.

    with this one, you can take off at around 120.
    just to let you know, i copied and renamed this one
    out of one of the many p-38s i have downloaded.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by smilo View Post
    hello John,
    i mean no offense, but, by chance
    are you talking about the cfs2 stock p-38?
    the reason i ask is, i notice that you frequent
    the cfs2 forum much more than here.

    if i am mistaken, i apologize
    and offer this quick fix,
    be aware that cfs1 and cfs2 air files
    are not compatible

    first, i think what Ivan was trying to say is
    the stock cfs1 P38 is a non flyable AI model.
    that is, unless you have modified it.
    either by editing the air file yourself
    or adding AI flyable files to the stock AI aircraft.

    i have attached a p38.zip. download and unzip it
    then, open the p38 folder in the cfs aircraft folder
    and rename the original p38.air file to, say, p38x.air
    now, copy my p38.air file that you unzipped
    and paste it into the cfs p38 aircraft folder.

    with this one, you can take off at around 120.
    just to let you know, i copied and renamed this one
    out of one of the many p-38s i have downloaded.

    Thank you so much ,the plane works just fine now.

    Yes I have tried a cfs2 P-38 plane and I found out that It is not
    compatible with cfs1 program. And I do not know how to edit the air file
    to make the plane do anything.
    Again, Smilo thank you for your help.
    John Pirnie

  6. #6
    SOH Staff
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Confusion..... -8GMT
    Posts
    3,770
    you are most welcome, John.
    i'm glad i was able to help.

    i, too, don't know much about .air file editing.
    although, i do know that the program AirEd
    is the way to go about it.
    i leave that stuff to Ivan and hubba.

    i see by your cfs2 forum posts,
    that you have had a problem with AirEd and W7.
    sorry, i can't help you there.

    just to let you know,
    the .air file i renamed and posted
    was scavenged from the StExF-5 repaint
    of the P-38 by Patrick Didier and Bruno Duffort.
    i don't know who created the .air file.
    most likely, Bruno Duffort.
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

  7. #7
    How about the Flight Dynamics Editor (FDE) from Abacus?
    It is free and works pretty well as long as you don't have more than a couple hundred aeroplanes.
    This is the program I use the most.

    - Ivan.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    How about the Flight Dynamics Editor (FDE) from Abacus?
    It is free and works pretty well as long as you don't have more than a couple hundred aeroplanes.
    This is the program I use the most.

    - Ivan.
    I have not been able to find a website to download Flight Dynamics Editor (FDE) from Abacus.
    Where can I get this program?
    Thanks, John

  9. #9
    SOH Staff
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Confusion..... -8GMT
    Posts
    3,770
    hey Dave, got a link for this one?
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

  10. #10
    Yes and no,
    That comes stock with AF99 and FS design studio, both payware.

    BUT, AIR-Ed by William Roth is the same program: The exact same program.

    http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/Design.htm

    Or just take the airfile from one of these :

    http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/Aircraft4.htm

    P.S. install the Air ED folder into your CFS Aircraft folder along with the planes, It works best that way


    Dave
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

  11. #11
    Sorry, No Dice, but they are actually quite different programs. Each has its strengths. I started with FDE, and it allows your own type definitions, so I like it better. AirED allows you to copy and delete records. I actually use both programs when I need their particular features.

    To find it, just search for "abacus FDE" in your browser. The site is abacus pub.com. It came up for me as the first two hits. I would paste the link, but I don't know how to do this on an iPad. My son is playing a game on my computer right now.

    - Ivan.

  12. #12
    SOH Staff
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Confusion..... -8GMT
    Posts
    3,770
    Dave, i renamed a Duffort(?) p-38 .air file above.

    Ivan, i, too, did the same google search.
    i even did it twice, just in case.
    the first entry lead to a page
    that provided a link to an endless loop
    for a flightsim download page
    with a for sale sign in the top right corner.
    another entry download button gave me
    a htp log in page
    i gave up.
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

  13. #13
    Redding Army Airfield Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    O85 Benton Field Airport
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,999
    The CFS2 P-38 has many more advanced things. The Fuel tank logic is not the same and other things like landing gear, scrape points and MOI numbers are not in the airfile for CFS2. Also CFS1 will need the 500 FS98 Piston engine (FS98/CFS AI).

    The one odd thing was that the CFS2 507 *Torque Factor vs Fuel/Air would not work in CFS1 *It would cause the game to error when loading the aircraft*. I took *Torque Factor vs Fuel/Air stock CFS1 P-38 and it works fine.

    I will attach the converted CFS2 P-38F airfile below. The AI seem to fight fine with it but landing seems messed up but AI dosn't crash on landing. This may be fixed by coping the CFS1 P-38 1199 *Autopilot/Secondary Aerodynamics into the airfile.

    Attachment 6739
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

  14. #14
    Thanks Allen, Smilo, et al.

    https://www.abacuspub.com/fsd/catalog/s372.htm

    Dunno why mine is showing as https, but it still works.
    FWIW, I have worked out a MUCH better fdectrl file than the one that comes with the download.
    If you find the tool useful, I can send a copy to you.

    BTW, Even if you don't want the tool, scroll down the page. There is a lot of useful information there. I don't think all of it is accurate or optimal, but it does show how some very smart people were thinking.

    - Ivan.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Thanks Allen, Smilo, et al.

    https://www.abacuspub.com/fsd/catalog/s372.htm

    Dunno why mine is showing as https, but it still works.
    FWIW, I have worked out a MUCH better fdectrl file than the one that comes with the download.
    If you find the tool useful, I can send a copy to you.

    BTW, Even if you don't want the tool, scroll down the page. There is a lot of useful information there. I don't think all of it is accurate or optimal, but it does show how some very smart people were thinking.

    - Ivan.
    I have tried to download from that link but it is a broken link.
    Can you e-mail me the program to me, Ivan?
    Thanks, John

  16. #16
    SOH Staff
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Confusion..... -8GMT
    Posts
    3,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Thanks Allen, Smilo, et al.

    https://www.abacuspub.com/fsd/catalog/s372.htm

    Dunno why mine is showing as https, but it still works.
    FWIW, I have worked out a MUCH better fdectrl file than the one that comes with the download.
    If you find the tool useful, I can send a copy to you.

    BTW, Even if you don't want the tool, scroll down the page. There is a lot of useful information there. I don't think all of it is accurate or optimal, but it does show how some very smart people were thinking.

    - Ivan.
    well, the catalog page does come up. no problem.
    clicking on either of the download buttons
    sends one to the endless loop. so it goes.

    might i suggest sending the tool to Dave
    so he can post it at the freeflight site.

    in the mean time, please send me a copy
    along with your improved fdectrl file,
    if you wouldn't mind parting with it.

    many thanks in advance.
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

  17. #17
    Hello Guys,

    Check your email.

    I would strongly suggest that you check out this thread if you are inclined to build your own AIR file from scratch.

    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...uning-Tutorial

    If there are any other specifics you are trying to fix, let me know and perhaps I can help.

    - Ivan.

  18. #18
    SOH Staff
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Confusion..... -8GMT
    Posts
    3,770
    got it. thank you
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by John Pirnie View Post
    I have tried to download from that link but it is a broken link.
    Can you e-mail me the program to me, Ivan?
    Thanks, John
    I tried to email you a couple times now. The messages bounce.

    - Ivan.

  20. #20
    John,
    FDE is ready for download here:

    http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/Design.htm
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

  21. #21
    After an Email from Ivan, this file has been removed.
    Please contact Ivan for a copy,

    Dave
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by No Dice View Post
    John,
    FDE is ready for download here:

    http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/Design.htm
    What is FDE? I have no clue.
    John

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by No Dice View Post
    After an Email from Ivan, this file has been removed.
    Please contact Ivan for a copy,

    Dave
    Hi No Dice,

    I think you misunderstood what I meant in my email and I misunderstood your reply.
    I will try to explain further in next email.

    - Ivan.

  24. #24

    File

    Ivan, I received your file in the e-mail, and thanks again for all your help.
    You guys here at SOH are so great and helpful beyond words.
    Thanks, again and again.
    John

Members who have read this thread: 19

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •