Problems with antialiasing and texture filtering in DX10 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with antialiasing and texture filtering in DX10

I'm going to try what you said.

On the other hand, I have found some information on the Internet where it says that it is possible to set something in the BIOS with regards to the primary GPU that Windows will read on startup. I have understood the process , but I cannot unlock my BIOS to show the Advanced Options.

Quote Originally Posted by The320Pilot View Post

On the other hand, I have found some information on the Internet where it says that it is possible to set something in the BIOS with regards to the primary GPU that Windows will read on startup. I have understood the process , but I cannot unlock my BIOS to show the Advanced Options.
    Hmmmm... an HP problem! Check on their support website - here is the "How-To" for it. There are others, too - just Google - ok!

pj

i7-4790K@4.8 gig, using EK-Supreme HF waterblock, LG 43" 4K; MSI 2060; 32 gig G.Skill Trident GTX @2400; Win 10-64; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80-style throttle quadrant; TrackIR5

Hmmmm... an HP problem!

Doing more digging - I found their support website - here is the product "Home", and here is one of the links - a "How-To" for it. ..........I also found a number of YouTube videos (for other HP Pavilion Laptops (and desktops)) - they all seem to be using the "Virtu" Switchable Graphics - done via the OS. Silly question, perhaps - but have you tried this method?
    I'm sure this is how it will be done, instead of disabling the Intel GPU in BIOS - you simply switch the Radeon GPU while in Windows.
    You are also going to find, because it's a "proprietary" (HP) laptop - you will have to use their drivers.

Category Description
    Graphics Internal Graphics (UMA):

Intel HD Graphics 4000 on computer models equipped with a 3rd Generation Intel

Core processor (Intel Core i7, i5, i3)

Intel HD Graphics 3000 on computer models

equipped with a 2nd Generation Intel

Core processor (Intel Core i5-2450M or i3), supports DX10

Intel HD Graphics on computer models equipped with a Pentium processor, supports

DX10
    Switchable Discrete Graphics:

AMD Radeon HD 7670M with 2048 MB of dedicated video memory (128 MB × 16

DDR3 @ 900 MHz × 8 pcs); 128 bit M2 package, supports HD Decode, DX11,
    HDMI, and PX5

AMD Radeon HD 7670M with 1024 MB of dedicated video memory (64 MB × 16
    DDR3 @ 900 MHz × 8 pcs); 128 bit M2 package, supports HD Decode, DX11,
    HDMI, and PX5

What a pain. Try the "Switchable Graphics, and let us know how it goes. Thanks.

pj

i7-4790K@4.8 gig, using EK-Supreme HF waterblock, LG 43" 4K; MSI 2060; 32 gig G.Skill Trident GTX @2400; Win 10-64; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80-style throttle quadrant; TrackIR5

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=5282445

There you can read the specifications of my laptop. I already tried the Switchable Graphics within CCC. I think that even though my FSX recognises the Intel, it works with the ATI, but I'm not completely sure. I couldn't install the new drivers from AMD. What a pain in the butt.

In DX9, I get good graphics. Of course FPS are not the best while on airports such as UK2000 Heathrow (getting around 11 FPS with Airline Traffic at 10% and quite low settings on clouds, scenery and traffic) and similar ones.

I just want to make sure I won't infect my computer with viruses or break it up! What website do you recommend to download "Virtu" switchable graphics?

I just want to make sure I won't infect my computer with viruses or break it up! What website do you recommend to download "Virtu" switchable graphics?
    I don't - I'm assuming that your OS includes this software, as that's what is implied everywhere on the internet.

This is what your FSX.CFG shows,

If the Radeon was being used, 320 - you would see this

[DISPLAY.Device.Radeon (TM) HD 7670M.0.0] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the second "0" indicates "This is the DX10 port"
    Mode=1366x768x32
    AntiAlias=1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This gives you AA, and you should have this ticked inside FSX
    Anisotropic=1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This gives you Anisotropic Filtering

Instead - you are seeing this:-

[DISPLAY.Device.Intel(R) HD Graphics Family.0.0] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This shows that the Laptop is using the Intel GPU for DX10.
    Mode=1366x768x32
    AntiAlias=1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Correct
    Anisotropic=1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Correct

You need to find someone familiar with this model of laptop who can help you through this, 320 - and I just can't help you there. You need to disable or switch the Intel GPU for the Radeon GPU for FSX. Does HP not have Spanish telephone support?

No-one else is putting in any information here, and I can't help you do it: sorry, 320, I'm out of ideas, it's back to square one and maybe DX9 isn't so bad after all.

All the Best,

pj

Well, I will stick with DX9 until I can resolve my issues with DX10. Of course I'll try different options to see what can I do. I already talked to my Computer Science teacher in my school about the BIOS thing, but, alas, he does not really know how to unlock it so that it shows its advanced options.

I will continue searching for any other ideas on the Internet. Let's see what happens during this Holy Week when I have a little more spare time to tweak my FSX DX10.

Pay attention to what I've just tried.

I opened the Device Manager and disabled my Radeon GPU. Then, I started FSX with administrator rights.
    After the splash screen appeared, the following message was displayed:

"This graphics card does not meet minimum requirements for shader support. This product requires a geForce3/Radeon8500 class or better graphics card.

Flight Simulator will now exit."

I suppose that when it says "This graphics card", it refers to the Intel HD3000 because the Radeon 7670M was disabled for this test. I'm starting to think that maybe the Radeon 7670M is unable to provide AA for FSX DX10.

After this, I enabled my Radeon GPU again ad FSX started normally.

What do you think about it?

I repeated the same process, but now disabled the Radeon GPU instead of the Intel GPU. FSX couldn't start either. So, I think that maybe FSX needs both in my laptop, considering that the Intel GPU is an integrated graphics card.

I know on the NVIDIA control panel , you can assign programmes to use it by default, i would suspect that the radeon CCC would have the same.

Found this

Find the below steps for ATI Switchable Graphics:

1. Click the Start button and select “All Programs”.
    2. Click Catalyst Control Center.
    3. Click Power and select Switchable Graphics.
    4. Choose an application/game from the list or browse and select an application and assign the appropriate GPU.

Try to play the game and post the results.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

I know on the NVIDIA control panel , you can assign programmes to use it by default, i would suspect that the radeon CCC would have the same.

Found this

4. Choose an application/game from the list or browse and select an application and assign the appropriate GPU.

Id also delete FSX.CFG so when you start it it wont have the intel in there. Hopefully it will see the radeon instead. FSX will rebuild its cfg file.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

Quote Originally Posted by mjrhealth

Found this

I have already done that.

What results? Do mean like a comparison between choosing "High Performance" or "Low Performance" in CCC for FSX? I'm starting to think that simply the AMD/ATI Radeon 7670M does not work with FSX DX10.

Id also delete FSX.CFG so when you start it it wont have the intel in there. Hopefully it will see the radeon instead. FSX will rebuild its cfg file.
    Let's see what happens. I do not think FSX will recognise the Radeon card if I do what you say.

Thanks. I'll try everything you say
    :encouragement:, but, as I repeat, I do not think that will work. :(

I'm considering to stick with DX9 because some airports (e.g., FlyTampa Kai Tak) are not fully compatible with DX10.
    There's a possibility that I can get a better computer (must be a laptop) in one or two months, but it is just that, a possibility.

Ok, it's been a while since I posted back.

I've flown since April until December 2014 with DX9. Now, I'm trying DX10 again. Good news, no more grainy textures. Bad news, no matter what I do, I can't get decent anti-aliasing in FSX DX10.

When I had an ATI card I used Radion Pro, you can create game profiles like with Nvidia inspector.
    I7 3700k @ 4.5 ghz, 2 x 8 gig 2133ghz ram, Evga gtx 780 classified, samsung 840 pro 250 gig ssd for op system, Win 7 64 bit ultimate, Samsung 840 evo for fsx photo scenery, 600 gig wd velocraptor for fsx, creative XFI fatality sound card.

Quote Originally Posted by sleightflight View Post
    When I had an ATI card I used Radion Pro, you can create game profiles like with Nvidia inspector.
    Yes, sure. I created a profike for FSX like one year ago and I made some changes to it in order for DX10 to --supposedly-- work correctly. (Spoiler: it doesn't work well.)

Now, I added MutiSamplesPerPixel=8 & MultiSampleQuality=8 in the [GRAPHICS] of my fsx.CFG file, as well as the D3D10=1 and checked at RadeonPro that the AA is set to Use application settings. The AA is very poor compared to DX9.

Members who have read this thread: 27