Problems with antialiasing and texture filtering in DX10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with antialiasing and texture filtering in DX10

Problems with antialiasing and texture filtering in DX10

Hello to everyone. This is my first post, so please be patient if a make any mistakes. I am eager to accept any constructive comment.

Computer specifications: Laptop, Intel Core i3 @ 2.30 GHz, ATI Radeon 7670M, 4GB of RAM, FSX SP2.

I have always run FSX in DX9 mode. Since I tried DX10, I could see an increase in FPS, but no matter what I do, I cannot get the Antialiasing nor the Anisotropic Filtering to work in FSX DX10. In DX9, they both work perfectly.

I have tried everything, always having antialiasing and Anisotropic checked inside FSX. My fsx.cfg says:

[GRAPHICS]
    MultiSamplesPerPixel=8
    MultiSampleQuality=16

These are my RadeonPro settings:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RP settings 1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	6561

Name:	RP settings 2.jpg 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	6562

Name:	RP settings 3.jpg 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	6563

Name:	RP settings 4.jpg 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	6564

And this is what I get in FSX (with DX10 Scenery Fixer).

Attachment 6559

Name:	2014-4-6_10-37-43-90.jpg 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	6560

I would like to be able to have nice visuals in DX10. It looks very promising, but as far as I'm going, I would stick to DX9 because in there the AA and AF work correctly. If somebody could help me to get Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering to work for me, I will really appreaciate it.

Thanks.

Another image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-4-6_10-36-9-855.jpg  

Yet another image (larger size and better quality for the last picture of the first post).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-4-6_10-37-43-90.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by The320Pilot View Post
    This is my first post, so please be patient if a make any mistakes
    Don't worry about it, 320. I just need to see your fsx.cfg if you can attach it here, or post it. The pics are too small to get a good view of aa problems. Have you read the DX10 How-To guide?

All the Best, ( and will be back tomorrow!)

pj

i7-4790K@4.8 gig, using EK-Supreme HF waterblock, LG 43" 4K; MSI 2060; 32 gig G.Skill Trident GTX @2400; Win 10-64; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80-style throttle quadrant; TrackIR5

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    The pics are too small to get a good view of aa problems.
    In the picture of the Dragonair A320 where you can see its starboard side, can you see that the asphalt surface looks very grainy? I think that has to do with the anisotropic filtering not working correctly.

In the picture of the Dragonair A320 where you can see its starboard side, can you see that the asphalt surface looks very grainy? I think that has to do with the anisotropic filtering not working correctly.

The pics are too small to get a good view of aa problems. This is what AF set wrongly looks like - more "blurry" than "grainy". Can you post your fsx.cfg, please?

pj

i7-4790K@4.8 gig, using EK-Supreme HF waterblock, LG 43" 4K; MSI 2060; 32 gig G.Skill Trident GTX @2400; Win 10-64; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80-style throttle quadrant; TrackIR5

Can you post your fsx.cfg, please?

pj
    I had to insert it as fsx.txt instead of fsx.cfg. Everything else has left unchanged.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I had to insert it as fsx.txt instead of fsx.cfg. Everything else has left unchanged.

That's fine, 320. It doesn't matter too much - some forums won't allow "cfg" that's all. "txt" is easy to work with, and I'll get at it right now.

Back later.

pj

560Ti comparison

Your FSX.cfg shows the Intel GPU being used for DX10, 320 - not the Radeon. I think you need to disable this so that the laptop will use the Radeon, and without knowing what laptop you have - I can't tell you how to do that.

The good part of that is that when you do have the Radeon in place you can use 2x or 4x AA (maximum), and it will look fine.... 16xQ CSAA will pull a high-end system to it's knees. 2x is probably the very highest this system should use.
    Read the "How-To" pdf for the ATI/AMD settings and the BufferPools pdf to figure out your BufferPool settings (this is not too necessary). FYI Bojote's On-line Tweaking Tool is four years old, and is based around the DX9 API.

fsx_chgd.txt

Come on back here if you have other questions as you progress through this process - ok!

All the best,

pj

Even though my "first" GPU is the Intel HD3000, I can tell that FSX runs on the ATI Radeon 7670M (or at least that is what I think). I have tried changing the [DISPLAY.Intel whatever] to [DISPLAY.Radeon (then, generic name of the GPU that the computer recognises)], but It was no better.

I have checked FSX in CCC to run in high performance , i.e. with the ATI card. I will change my settings to run FSX at 4x AA, but all what I want is FSX to work in DX10 with antialiasing, something that I have not been able to achieve yet.

Intel 3000 is the integrated GPU, ATI Radeon 7670M is the dedicated GPU in my HP Pavilion Notebook g4-2380la. Oh, I run Windows 7 x64.

Thanks for taking your time to help me out with FSX DX10!

If the Radeon was being used, 320 - you would see this

[DISPLAY.Device.Radeon (TM) HD 7670M.0.0] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the second "0" indicates "This is the DX10 port"
    Mode=1366x768x32
    AntiAlias=1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This gives you AA, and you should have this ticked inside FSX
    Anisotropic=1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This gives you Anisotropic Filtering

Instead, we see this:-

[DISPLAY.Device.Radeon (TM) HD 7670M.0]
    Mode=1366x768x32
    TriLinear=1

Further down - we find the Intel GPU - with the correct settings for both DX9 and DX10:-

[DISPLAY.Device.Intel(R) HD Graphics Family.0] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< DX9
    Mode=1366x768x16

[DISPLAY.Device.Intel(R) HD Graphics Family.0.0] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<DX10
    Mode=1366x768x32
    AntiAlias=1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Correct
    Anisotropic=1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Correct

You need to disable the Intel GPU (or force FSX to use it, but the Radeon is the best bet..) Find out how it is done: I will do some digging too.

All the Best,

pj

I have another "little" question? What should I use: FXAA or SMAA? Is any of them compatible with DX10?

You can use both, 320, but both will have some small penalty: My advice - get DX10 running properly first. You can fiddle with those two at your leisure.

pj

This post refers to the HP 6630 desktop, but the process should be identical:

Go into safe mode, then disable the Intel GPU in the device manager.

pj

I want the Intel GPU to work for everything but FSX and some other games I want to run on the Radeon, so I can free up space when using the Radeon GPU. Are you sure that what you tell me will not cause any trouble? I know that if you say so, it is because it works, but I am nervous about doing that .

I will have to test again because I do not remember correctly, but as far as I can recall, when FSX is running, GPU-Z (a program to show your GPU specs and performance) shows an increase in the Radeon GPU activity. As I said before, I will have to test again to see if I'm correct.

I want the Intel GPU to work for everything but FSX and some other games I want to run on the Radeon, so I can free up space when using the Radeon GPU. Are you sure that what you tell me will not cause any trouble? I know that if you say so, it is because it works, but I am nervous about doing that .

I will have to test again because I do not remember correctly, but as far as I can recall, when FSX is running, GPU-Z (a program to show your GPU specs and performance) shows an increase in the Radeon GPU activity. As I said before, I will have to test again to see if I'm correct.
    Hi 320 (again);

Sorry to be delayed, but I occasionaly (remotely) look after the pc's for a wild animal sanctuary, and that's where I was.

Anyway you can enable or disable the GPU in the fashion described whenever you want to. Don't be nervous - you're not going to blow it up - nor even going to go into the BIOS - that's what scares most people!

Second: - GPU-Z will show an increase in load and GPU activity when using the DX10 API, because the GPU now does all of the graphics manipulation and uses its own memory: when using the DX9 API, this was not the case - this job was shared between the system (and its memory) and the GPU - and its memory. This is one of the reasons we DX10'ers don't see OOM's any more - the system has a lot of memory freed up because of this move. This also allows the CPU to work a bit faster, too.

Give it a whirl, and we can talk tomorrow - ok!

All the Best,

pj

Ok. I'll try the GPU settings change tomorrow in the afternoon.

Ok, so this is what I've tried today.

I have not run FSX for two days.

Today, I rebooted my computer. I started it in Safe Mode and disabled the Intel GPU driver. Rebooted again.

Then, I started my computer in normal mode. After everything loaded up, the following message appeared (it is in Spanish because that is my computer language. After it, there is my translation of the message).

"No hay un controlador de gráficos AMD o el controlador AMD no funciona correctamente. Instale el controlador AMD apropiado para su hardware AMD."

[Translation]. "Either there is no AMD Graphics driver is installed or the AMD driver is not working correctly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware."

I re-enabled the Intel GPU driver and rebooted again. So, now everything is as it originally was before the anterior process was undergone.

What I do NOT understand, is why the computer could not recognise correctly my ATI/AMD Radeon 7670M when the Intel card was disabled if there is a driver installed for it (AMD driver version: 8.933.0.0). Auslogics Boostspeed can recognise my Radeon video card, as well as GPU-Z can. I will have to search on the Internet, especially on the AMD website, for my "supposedly" more recent drivers for my Radeon GPU. (sigh)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sin título.jpg   Sin título2.jpg   Sin título3.jpg  

Oh, and by the way, my desktop image is taken from my FSX DX9.

British Airways Hawker Siddeley Trident 3B taking of from London-Luton Airport (LTN / EGGW).

I started it in Safe Mode and disabled the Intel GPU driver. Rebooted again.

Then, I started my computer in normal mode. After everything loaded up, the following message appeared

"Either there is no AMD Graphics driver is installed or the AMD driver is not working correctly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware."

I re-enabled the Intel GPU driver and rebooted again. So, now everything is as it originally was before the anterior process was undergone.

What I do NOT understand, is why the computer could not recognise correctly my ATI/AMD Radeon 7670M when the Intel card was disabled if there is a driver installed for it (AMD driver version: 8.933.0.0). Auslogics Boostspeed can recognise my Radeon video card, as well as GPU-Z can. I will have to search on the Internet, especially on the AMD website, for my "supposedly" more recent drivers for my Radeon GPU. (sigh)
    "Either there is no AMD Graphics driver is installed or the AMD driver is not working correctly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware." <<< At this point why didn't you install the AMD Driver?

Auslogics Boostspeed can recognise my Radeon video card, as well as GPU-Z can.
    Those are basically API's and are not using Windows 7 to get the information: If Windows is going to use a driver - it must be loaded through Windows, so that the card is then recognised.

I don't have or use a laptop 320, but the process has to be the same, and if the OS is asking for a driver - then you should follow that through, instead of shutting down and re-enabling the Intel driver. FSX - DX10 will not work well without either RadeonPro for AMD GPU's, or Inspector for Nvidia GPU's - ok!

Give it another shot.

All the Best,

pj

I'll have to try downloading the REALLY latest drivers on my video card. But isn't it supposed that if it already has its drivers installed (version 8.933.0.0) it should then work correctly?

"Either there is no AMD Graphics driver is installed or the AMD driver is not working correctly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware." <<< At this point why didn't you install the AMD Driver?

pj
    Because there was no button that said update or install or something similar! Of course that if it had a button to do so, I would have done it. Now I have to search on the Internet. (sigh, again).

Download the AMD driver, unpack it "somewhere", and then after you restart the laptop, just browse to the folder and install it. Get it from here. The installation instructions are here. You might also download the earlier version CCC - linked at the top of this forum, as the newer CCC versions can't seem to control "spiking" and artifacting - ok!

Hang in there!

Regards,

pj

Members who have read this thread: 27