Before I call it quits - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Before I call it quits

Talk about not being fun, I did the base install ,like I said and found the IL76 was the badguy so I took it out patched fs9 although it said it already was ver 9.1 then tried to install FSUPIC ,the last version, but it kept saying I had another version of FSUPIC and the sim won't open.So I took out the version of FSUPIC and put in an older version ,the one which I thought I had before and same thing.So bottom line I can't install FSUPIC. I am reaching the limit of my endurance.

I had this same FSUPIC problem before and I solved it by installing an older version but this time I either haven't installed the right older version or something else is going on.So I'am going to try living without FSUPIC and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    Do I get it right - the FS9 installation still uses the registry but by just copying everything including the exe you can replace textures and remove/install planes and so create different installs? I assume the basic settings will remain the same for each though (same fs9.cfg)?

Wow, that is a brilliant idea! I have to check if this works for me - sounds almost to good to be true. I am especially bugged by all the planes I want to keep causing endless load times. If I just had GA, warbirds, tubeliners etc. like you do would be a great help!

Sascha
    I made the mistake first time round of re-naming all the various FS9.exe files to what scenario they were in, as in FSWW1.exe, FSGA.exe and so on. Wrong!
    Bloody chaos.
    Now I do as I've outlined and in my case there is only one FS9.cfg and one GW3.cfg.
    The base install has my global mesh, weather etc in place, and I keep a complete copy of it on a backup drive.
    Some add on installers are a PITA because they demand to go into FS9 only, so they go into the master FS9 copy and with a little tweaking can be transferred on, usually a trawl through the gauges folder and in some cases the texture folder will sort out any weirdness.
    Once you get the hang of it the benefits are worth the trouble, aside from grouping aircraft into separate categories, one can use different scenery and airports.
    Patience is a virtue at the beginning!!!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    Do I get it right - the FS9 installation still uses the registry but by just copying everything including the exe you can replace textures and remove/install planes and so create different installs? I assume the basic settings will remain the same for each though (same fs9.cfg)?
    If you rename the individual FS9.exe files to match the different versions they will generate their own FS9.cfg.

If you rename a copy of the FS9.exe in each folder, and leave the FS9.exe along side it, if you want to run an installer and have it point to a specific FS9 setup all you have to do is reset the registry with the Flight1 registry tool.

FS9 itself doesn't read the install location from the registry and will run from anywhere.

I have had multiple FS9.exe files for years without too much trouble.

For example, I had one specific to helicopters so I could have different controller settings in the FS9.cfg for helis.

Instead of having to change the settings every time I wanted to fly a chopper, I simply started the sim with a different shortcut.

The downside is a global change to the FS9.cfg has to be made several times.

cheers,
    Lane

Hey Wombat and Lance,

thank you, this will come in very handy!

Sascha

Members who have read this thread: 72