Chipmunk in FSX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chipmunk in FSX

Chipmunk in FSX

Is there a version of the Rick Piper Chipmunk which works properly in FSX SP2 Acceleration without the prop/cloud problem?
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

No, as it's an FS9 model you'll always get that problem. The effect can be minimized by playing around with the alpha channel, but you'll never fix it entirely.
    Rick was working on a FSX native version of the Chippie at one time, but it's never been released.
    As an aside, it works fine in P3dV2 with no prop issues.

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    Is there a version of the Rick Piper Chipmunk which works properly in FSX SP2 Acceleration without the prop/cloud problem?
    I have a version by Rick released 24th Dec 2006 as a Work in Progress which to me works OK in Acceleration. I can't see or remember where I got it from, perhaps Brit Sim but my Internet is well below par this weekend so I can't check there.

Yup: it was the one most memorable aircraft of my wayward youth! I did some mods, with Rick's permission and asked Bernt Stoll to re-do the FD, which he did. It also works in DX10, too, along with MAAM-Sim's KRDG and "Briefing Time". I just put it back in the DropBox, so it's uploading now, and will take about 15 more minutes to complete.

Here she is over Anacortes: FSGRW, REX textures, AS water and DX10.

Enjoy!

All the Best,

pj

i7-4790K@4.8 gig, using EK-Supreme HF waterblock, LG 43" 4K; MSI 2060; 32 gig G.Skill Trident GTX @2400; Win 10-64; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80-style throttle quadrant; TrackIR5

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    Yup: it was the one most memorable aircraft of my wayward youth! I did some mods, with Rick's permission and asked Bernt Stoll to re-do the FD, which he did. It also works in DX10, too, along with MAAM-Sim's KRDG and "Briefing Time". I just put it back in the DropBox, so it's uploading now, and will take about 15 more minutes to complete.
    Not sure what version I have - but it works fine in DX10 (though I may have applied Steve's fixes to it). I'll grab that latest file, thanks PJ!

The "Chippie" was the first aircraft I ever left the ground in, so it will always hold that "special" slot!

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski_NZ View Post
    Not sure what version I have - but it works fine in DX10 (though I may have applied Steve's fixes to it). I'll grab that latest file, thanks PJ!
    The "Chippie" was the first aircraft I ever left the ground in, so it will always hold that "special" slot!
    Adam.
    Same here, Adam. 14 years old, in the ATC. "Don't put your feet on the rudder pedals". I could barely reach the darn things! On top of my first loop ever - the bl***y engine quit, and I'm reaching for that big red knob to release the canopy. Cheesh. I didn't know my **** from a hole in the ground. Did that happen to you?
    Anyways - just under 200 hours in the Chip and four years later I knew what the rudder pedal was for, and Bernt Stolle has done a bang-up job of the FDE. You will see the difference in the name of the .air file, Adam - the newest is "dhc11.air" and that same number appearing in the aircraft.cfg.

The Chip I've linked to above is straight from my FSX installation, but I have a better one which includes the Pilot's Notes for the different years and Air Forces.. I'll put that one up and remove the first. It'll take about 20 minutes.

pj

i7-4790K@4.8 gig, using EK-Supreme HF waterblock, LG 43" 4K; MSI 2060; 32 gig G.Skill Trident GTX @2400; Win 10-64; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80-style throttle quadrant; TrackIR5

That model does still have prop / glass issues, although they are not too bad. It will never be perfect unless it's made FSX native. (or Steve works some more DX10 magic)

Thank you. I'm not sure if I downloaded Paul J's first or second version from Dropbox, but although its title is the same V3.0 as I had before it's a lot better, and has gained the instrument (accelerometer?) on top of the panel and lost the 2D panel. Strangely, the prop on the silver/dayglo is near perfect, but the UAS and Canadian are definitely troubled. You've obviously tinkered, as not all of the colour schemes in the folder appear in the selection available. The air.cfg is dhc11.

My own first flight with the CCF was in an Argosy, though in the back. A Chipmunk at White Waltham came later.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    That model does still have prop / glass issues, although they are not too bad. It will never be perfect unless it's made FSX native. (or Steve works some more DX10 magic)
    Now I recognise the name! You sent me the fixed bitmaps for the compass and accelerometer back in November of 2011! (Yes - I did give credit in the Readme, too! and here's another big "Thank you". It's the smart folks like you and Steve and Rick that make the hobby as rich and enjoyable as it is for folks like me - the vast majority.

Honestly - there's not a lot "bad" about the canopy, Dave, other than the alpha could be darkend a bit (?) to get rid of the shadowing that's present around the edges. (I presume that's what you were referring to). Another gentleman whose name I don't have - sent me the prop fixes, which are included separately in the zipfile that's uploading now.

You might want to play some more with her, Dave - I'd love to see a "less battered" instrument panel and a cartridge starter - or maybe Rick might? Hmmm?

All the Best,

pj

Check the cfg file because, if I remember correctly, Rick made a mistake with numbering the textures (Ftsim.xx) and skipped a number so that the last three or four didn't show. Easy to fix - just renumber them so they are in sequence!

Myles

Quote Originally Posted by myles View Post
    Check the cfg file because, if I remember correctly, Rick made a mistake with numbering the textures (Ftsim.xx) and skipped a number so that the last three or four didn't show. Easy to fix - just renumber them so they are in sequence!

Myles
    Yup - jumped from 11 to 14 "Two of our aircraft are missing." The listed one above is fixed.

pj

I checked the aircraft.cfg, and some textures had the addition .offByFSXstarter to the texture line. That would explain the absences, and also seems to allow ones lower down the list to show without being renumbered.

Same here, Adam. 14 years old, in the ATC. "Don't put your feet on the rudder pedals". I could barely reach the darn things! On top of my first loop ever - the bl***y engine quit, and I'm reaching for that big red knob to release the canopy. Cheesh. I didn't know my **** from a hole in the ground. Did that happen to you?
    Funnily enough - something similar! This time, it was my first ever trip in a glider (a tandem-seat T-21 Sedbergh).

The instructor turned round to me and asked whether I'd done any aerobatics in a glider before. I was about to reply that I hadn't even *been* in a glider before, but noticed we were already pointing vertically at the ground, so said nothing.

The *first* loop was OK (?*@#!) but going for the 2nd successive one, he under-cooked it and stalled *upside-down*. All the dust, rubbish, sweet wrappers (condoms?) floated UP past my face. The T-21 being what it is (ie. designed for idiots like him) it picked up speed and gently flipped back over with me still wondering vaguely where my stomach was.

Thankfully it didn't put me off and a couple of years later I went on a full blown RAF-financed gliding course (on T-21s!). Those were the days, eh? Sadly, I could never afford to do much gliding after that. I went solo in a Ka-8 with no problems, but not many flights followed.

I came to the conclusion that being totally insane was an absolute requirement for joining the RAF

@dhasdell - I also scrounged a trip in an Argosy. Did you ever get a ride in a Blackburn Beverly?

Err.. remind me ... what were we talking about?

Rick Piper and friends' Chipmunk has been a favourite for years and it's lovely to have her working so well in FSX - thank you so much to everyone involved. She's just perfect for civilised aerobatics on a summer afternoon, especially with the revised FD that let her spin. Incidentally, if you find the compass still flickers or glitches just re-save the texture (simply called 'compass' in each texture folder) as a DDS DXT1 (no alpha).

I'm getting there with the prop textures, but I think I must be missing a texture somewhere. This plain black frame isn't right, is it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chipmunk_panel.jpg  

I'm getting there with the prop textures, but I think I must be missing a texture somewhere. This plain black frame isn't right, is it?
    It's one of the VC glass textures. I fiddled with mine to get rid of the oil stains slightly. I'm not entirely sure about uploading modified texture files somewhere when it's not my creation [?]<!--?-->.

The Chippie (now with dxt textures) works well with DX10+Fixer (without any need of running any of the DX Fixer Tools). It's a beaut!

Adam.

Hmmm....did someone say Chipmunk for FSX?

Don't get your hopes up too much as there is still a lot of work left yet. Exterior is about 95% done but the interior needs a lot of TLC and then there's all the mapping, animation, gauges, textures and FDE to do.
    Larry

Larry we can wait!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Woa. That took us by surprise. Hope it will make it

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski_NZ View Post
    All the dust, rubbish, sweet wrappers (condoms?) floated UP past my face.
    I also scrounged a trip in an Argosy. Did you ever get a ride in a Blackburn Beverly?
    Err.. remind me ... what were we talking about?
    Nice one, Larry! Look forward with as much enthusiam as for Manfred's DC-3, but with Jan's old Dak panel in it. (That one works in DC10, too......)

"Blackburn Beverly? " Rissington to Valley '64 for some night flying.

Thanks for the replies. I have got it working well enough now to last me until Larry's is finished.

Now I recognise the name! You sent me the fixed bitmaps for the compass and accelerometer back in November of 2011! (Yes - I did give credit in the Readme, too! and here's another big "Thank you". It's the smart folks like you and Steve and Rick that make the hobby as rich and enjoyable as it is for folks like me - the vast majority.

Honestly - there's not a lot "bad" about the canopy, Dave, other than the alpha could be darkend a bit (?) to get rid of the shadowing that's present around the edges. (I presume that's what you were referring to). Another gentleman whose name I don't have - sent me the prop fixes, which are included separately in the zipfile that's uploading now.

You might want to play some more with her, Dave - I'd love to see a "less battered" instrument panel and a cartridge starter - or maybe Rick might? Hmmm?

All the Best,

pj

Any chance that you can send me the fixed bitmaps for the compass and accelerometer or are these fixed in the panel of the Chipy v3 link this thread?

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I installed it into P3D V2 but none of the switches and other bits were clickable so will patiently wait for Larry's.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Aussieman - are you sure you have the right version? There are several of them, and while the FS2004 will fly in FSX the switches won't work, though from a newer version they will. I don't know about P3D, mind. It might be worth redownloading from Paul J's link above and trying again.

Can you be tempted by this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aussiechip.jpg  

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Already have it in my repaints folder

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Members who have read this thread: 122