DX10 and Steves Fixer

Thread: DX10 and Steves Fixer

DX10 and Steves Fixer

A couple of questions about DX10 and Steves fixer. Yesterday
    I installed the fixer and started playing around with it.
    It sure runs smooth with sliders maxed. I still am getting shimmering
    and running lines on runways etc, like DX9.
    First question is I am not seeing any cockpit shadows any ideas?
    Secondly the water is terrible!.If I change water color and animation
    will that change my water in DX9?

Hope someone can advise.

For VC - not all aircraft has a posibillity to simulate this. Try default Cessna. For the rest (if shadows isnt present in VC of the model), You can always use DX10Toolbox -> Aircraft -> Turn on VC cocpit shadows and take MDL inside file of model. Working good.
    This file is in DX10Steve default Folder. For sure too - good weather with the Sun .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Anthin View Post
    A couple of questions about DX10 and Steves fixer. Yesterday
    I installed the fixer and started playing around with it.
    It sure runs smooth with sliders maxed. I still am getting shimmering

Hope someone can advise.
    Yup - will be there in about ten minutes.17:27 EST here.

All the Best,

pj

i7-4790K@4.8 gig, using EK-Supreme HF waterblock, LG 43" 4K; MSI 2060; 32 gig G.Skill Trident GTX @2400; Win 10-64; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80-style throttle quadrant; TrackIR5

I still am getting shimmering

Hope someone can advise.
    We'll try, Anthin!

For your first issue - download and read the doc that's in my sig at the bottom... It will answer your shimmering issue, and give you same answers that will help. If you find a link missing - ask right back here again, as the doc has been revised, and i haven't had a whole lot of time to test all of them.

Second - go into the Fixer folder and open up ToolBox.exe, then take a look at these pics here, showing the screens you should see as you get it enabled. First is in FSX - you need the "aircraft casts shadows on itself", then the three or four spots in the DX10 Controller, and then into the ToolBox itself, where you will browse to the aircraft you wish to change (yeah - each one individually). Find the interior.mdl file in the "model" folder, click on it - and you're done.

Last is water. You will find that the stock FSX water is pretty good, but you are probably using REX or AS or FSWC (Lite). Some of these are DX10, and do work, but many are awful. My personal is ActiveSky Evolution "04 - Frequency" waves, with the Inland Brown and Blue darkened some. I use REX clouds, and stock for everything else - actua;lly whatever Orbx creates for their airfields. My suggestion is to return the water to default first, and see what it's like - ok!

If you still need some more help - no problem - just ask away,

All the Best,

pj

i7-4790K@4.8 gig, using EK-Supreme HF waterblock, LG 43" 4K; MSI 2060; 32 gig G.Skill Trident GTX @2400; Win 10-64; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80-style throttle quadrant; TrackIR5

Hello Paul,

I am very pleased to see you are firing on all cylinders.
    I have also withdrawn from the other place
    and it's good to see you here.

All the best,
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Hello Paul,

All the best,
    Nick.
    Well said Nick
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Hello Paul,

All the best,
    Nick.
    I missed you, man!!!! I wondered where you had disappeared to. You are one of the "brains" in the DX10 world, and I'm thoroughly glad to meet up with you again! There's also a Nick Cooper over at the Orbx site, too. Is that you?

Well, I suppose the world has to change from time to time, and Roger has always been a very positive person in my wanderings, and I've liked the tone of SOH for a while.

Later:

All the Best,

pj

Let me just add that most, but not all models allow for VC shadows. I've found that some older models that that were ported from FS9 do not have a separate 'interior VC' mdl file, and they generally don't work. Also, models by certain developers, a couple of IRIS models I tried for example, seem to disable the ability to turn on VC shadowing in their interior mdl. It's no problem to try, the fixer toolbox will simply say it was unable to turn on VC shadows.

Thanks for the help.

Will try today all the stuff you mentioned.
    Old Dude here a bit slow this morning.
    If I have any problems I post later.
    Regards.

Paul,
    i want to change my water textures to FSX vanilla textures.
    I restored the textures from REX4 to default,unticked the water shader in Steve`s Fixer and restored the textures from FSWC Lite to normal.
    The water still looks horrible.
    Now i want to restore the stock Shaders HSL----how do i do this?
    Thank you
    Mike

PS. Got it!

Thanks Paul for your help. I am nearly there with the
    water using Rex 4. I do not think I will be using DX9 again
    as DX10 is just great. Steve has done a great job with
    that fixer. Worth every cent.
    Shadows in the cockpits really bring life into the sim.
    One last thing Paul,where do I find your Sig? For any
    Manuals on DX10.

Thanks Paul for your help. I am nearly there with the
    water using Rex 4. I do not think I will be using DX9 again
    as DX10 is just great. Steve has done a great job with
    that fixer. Worth every cent.
    Shadows in the cockpits really bring life into the sim.
    One last thing Paul,where do I find your Sig? For any
    Manuals on DX10.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4c5ege3jcq...10%20Notes.pdf

Mike

Life is good once again!

Many thanks once again.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    We'll try, Anthin!

For your first issue - download and read the doc that's in my sig at the bottom... It will answer your shimmering issue, and give you same answers that will help. If you find a link missing - ask right back here again, as the doc has been revised, and i haven't had a whole lot of time to test all of them.

Second - go into the Fixer folder and open up ToolBox.exe, then take a look at these pics here, showing the screens you should see as you get it enabled. First is in FSX - you need the "aircraft casts shadows on itself", then the three or four spots in the DX10 Controller, and then into the ToolBox itself, where you will browse to the aircraft you wish to change (yeah - each one individually). Find the interior.mdl file in the "model" folder, click on it - and you're done.

Last is water. You will find that the stock FSX water is pretty good, but you are probably using REX or AS or FSWC (Lite). Some of these are DX10, and do work, but many are awful. My personal is ActiveSky Evolution "04 - Frequency" waves, with the Inland Brown and Blue darkened some. I use REX clouds, and stock for everything else - actua;lly whatever Orbx creates for their airfields. My suggestion is to return the water to default first, and see what it's like - ok!

If you still need some more help - no problem - just ask away,

All the Best,

pj
    Thank you so much for posting this,Paul!
    Yesterday---after reading this---i understood,how to get the VC shadows to work(my poor english!).
    I am using Steve`s Fixer for a while now,but i allways wondered,why the shadows didn`t work for me.
    Oh man---that looks so stunning,i`m still blown away.
    Now you can laugh!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    Thank you so much for posting this,Paul!
    Yesterday---after reading this---i understood,how to get the VC shadows to work(my poor english!).
    I am using Steve`s Fixer for a while now,but i allways wondered,why the shadows didn`t work for me.
    Oh man---that looks so stunning,i`m still blown away.
    !
    Mike
    Excellent! This is great, Mike - yeah, once it's up and running the way it was meant to be - DX10 has got quite a few things over DX9.

"Now you can laugh"
    I will laugh when you stop apologising for your poor English, my friend!

All the Best - now you can enjoy it some more!

pj

Thank you for your kind words,Paul----much appreciated!
    I really enjoy it now a lot more than before.
    Mike

Something that came up in conversation with PJ - and maybe worth mentioning in a DX10+Fixer "sticky", is that the whole process of installing the Fixer will totally overhaul your tired old FSX - removing all sorts of failed or redundant tweaks.

You need only to follow the Fixer Manual and Paul's "How To". There's LOTS of discussion out there (here, even!), but I'm sure anything new and revolutionary will crop up either of those two places.

It's fairly obvious that a brand new fsx.cfg is a good place to start, but it also makes it easier for people to help (here) if there are no legacy tweaks still affecting the system. We're lucky that so many people are prepared to invest time and effort in helping out, but it's a great idea to go part of the way and help them to help you! [preach_mode=OFF]!

Adam.

Members who have read this thread: 31