Lockheed S-3 Viking - The Sequel Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Lockheed S-3 Viking - The Sequel Thread

Dino

Looking good. Looking forward to the release.

Russ
    Many may fly and some are rewarded
    handsomely, but the wings of gold of a
    United States Naval Aviator mean more
    than flying. It is dearly bought, requires
    sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cattaneo View Post
    Pics with squadron markings (repaints from Groom Like Simulations)...

Attachment 8341 Attachment 8342
    I see AGM-84! Is it work with TacPack?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Love the Checkmates ("Alpha Charlie")

Looking good Dino. Thanks for your work on the S-3. (My old squadron when I was a youngster flying the S-3A).
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Hoover noise...

Can recognize that NASNI Runway 29 approach a mile away

A colorful livery - courtesy of Groom Lake Simulations...
    Test for the final build still in progress - about 50% complete...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10380002_831323856881077_7970506897216866323_o.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	8409

Dino...superb!
    Looking really great! Looking forward to its release, when it is ready!
    Godspeed, Bernd
    NATO E-3A Squadron 1, 1993 - 2000

"Runway left behind and altitude above are useless..." Al "Tex" Johnston
    Remember YUKLA 27
    Remember ESSO 77

Great stuff Dino, our Tomcat will be lonesome no longer.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Hello Dino,

-Great as usual!
    I can put the Iris S-3 hangar!
    I am impatient!
    Thank you for this work!

Alain

-

Cant wait too. Is this Harpoon from TacPack?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Yeah, Harpoon is from Tacpack.... but it is not working yet!

The Beta release will probably have very limited (if any) Tacpack functions... but, at least in my plans, there will be Tacpack support for:
    - MK 82 / 83 /84
    - Harpoon
    - Refuel pod
    - LAU 68 rockets
    - AGM-65E

Weapons system operation is very simplified... and surely will not support "Search" stores and submarine hunting...
    And I am sorry to confirm there will be no SENSO / TACCO stations... Still, carrier ops are aleady is really fun! :-)

Mk 48 Torp / Depth Bomb

It would be very interesting to see a Mk 48 torp modeled. It could be used against subs and surface vessels.

Although I can neither confirm nor deny that there was this type of weapon carried by the S-3, there is this on Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_101_Lulu .

(In order for the TACCO / SENSO stations to be useful, FSX would have to add / model thermoclines, magnetic flux and various types of sonics (sounds) in the water / ocean environment. Sound / magnetic signature files would have to be added to subs and ocean vessels. TacPac would have to model lofar, difar and active sonobouys. Magnetic detection and the S-3 MAD boom would have to be modeled. Sounds like a bunch of work....anyone? Is this stuff modeled in P3D?)
    Jay
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    It would be very interesting to see a Mk 48 torp modeled. It could be used against subs and surface vessels.

Although I can neither confirm nor deny that there was this type of weapon carried by the S-3, there is this on Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_101_Lulu .

At just under 4000lbs, and 19 ft long, I think a S-3 would need a few modifications to carry one of those. The Mk48 is strictly a submarine weapon, though I think the CGN's had space set aside aft for the weapon,it was never carried.

Attachment 8423

I have; ready for testing, a set of aerial ASW weapons- ASW torps, conventional and nuclear depth charge's, smoke markers. I have hacked together effects from default effects- using a fx control file to set a delay between impact and detonation. It is ready to test, if I could find testers, however , req's for testers who might actually report back rather than simply taking the alpha packs and running; has met with dead air. I am also stymied on an effect for the nuclear depth bomb- google the 1962 'swordfish' ASROC test- its just a big shock/gas bubble/spray dome/rebound type of boom, like a conventional DC, just a mile across. While I have been successful in creating the effect for torps and DC's, I have not 'cracked the code' to figure out how to scale up the effect for nukes. While we can't sink the sub yet (I have some thoughts, but lack the coding skills-at this point) Any takers? Testing or effects?

Dino, the war Hoover is looking your usual masterwork. I am accelerating completion of the Zumwalt CVL to be ready!
    (&%@#$!* slow intermenet today! DERP DERP DERP....)

Attachment 8424
    Attachment 8425

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    (In order for the TACCO / SENSO stations to be useful, FSX would have to add / model thermoclines, magnetic flux and various types of sonics (sounds) in the water / ocean environment. Sound / magnetic signature files would have to be added to subs and ocean vessels. TacPac would have to model lofar, difar and active sonobouys. Magnetic detection and the S-3 MAD boom would have to be modeled. Sounds like a bunch of work....anyone? Is this stuff modeled in P3D?)
    That's a whole separate "sim" in itself, although I would probably buy it having spent hours "in the dip" back in my enlisted days.

Dino, as always looking forward to yet another supreme Naval Aviation model to re-live my one flight in the War Hoover from the boat.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    At just under 4000lbs, and 19 ft long, I think a S-3 would need a few modifications to carry one of those. The Mk48 is strictly a submarine weapon, though I think the CGN's had space set aside aft for the weapon,it was never carried.

I have; ready for testing, a set of aerial ASW weapons- ASW torps, conventional and nuclear depth charge's, smoke markers. I have hacked together effects from default effects- using a fx control file to set a delay between impact and detonation. It is ready to test, if I could find testers, however , req's for testers who might actually report back rather than simply taking the alpha packs and running; has met with dead air. I am also stymied on an effect for the nuclear depth bomb- google the 1962 'swordfish' ASROC test- its just a big shock/gas bubble/spray dome/rebound type of boom, like a conventional DC, just a mile across. While I have been successful in creating the effect for torps and DC's, I have not 'cracked the code' to figure out how to scale up the effect for nukes. While we can't sink the sub yet (I have some thoughts, but lack the coding skills-at this point) Any takers? Testing or effects?

Dino, the war Hoover is looking your usual masterwork. I am accelerating completion of the Zumwalt CVL to be ready!
    (&%@#$!* slow intermenet today! DERP DERP DERP....)
    You are the man when it comes to naval accessories. You're right about the mods for that particular weapon on the S-3, but that is not what I said. If you look at the S-3A Wiki it lists certain nuclear weapons possibly carried by the S-3, but, as I said, I can neither confirm nor deny this. The Mk48 was an error, S-3s carried the Mk46 in my operational days (it was still a pretty big weapon, but not the size of the Mk48). I won't comment on the reliability. We also carried mines internally and, if I recall correctly, one on each wing station if needed. I also remember firing zunis (5 inch rockets), but this was before the S-3 deployed with missiles like the Harpoon or Maverick.

Glad to hear you have weapons ready for test. I'll test them and reply back. Looking forward to it.
    Jay

Members +
    Blog Entries
    ASW test pack in mt previous post this thread. I did figure out a way to do sea mines, bty. You can lay a field, and it will sit inert for the entire session, and they will detonate when a player runs over them. You can also 'Sweep' from an aircraft. Have not figured out how to make AI ships set off the mines though. Hmmm. I wonder if I can make a sled or a MOP for the CH-53...thats the easy part. How could you tow it? Hoist in mission?
    Now a days, sea mines are just dumb bombs fitted with trick fuzes(other than CAPTOR), rather than the 'vegetables' seen in WWII. Similarly, the 'BETTY's' and "LULU's' are long gone, versions of the B-61 or (UK) WE177 with fuzing options for ASW doing the job today.
    And, yes, I modeled the B-61( and a selection of nukes from Y-1852 and Y-1563, Mk-17, B-61 and 83) but I am stuffed for a nuke effect (that does not freeze the sim into a slide show- hardware limitations) Chris Skyes moddeled the WE177 in his British weapons pack.
    And a note about the nuke effect in the alpha test pack. I don't think I ever tested that one (time, time, time!) Don't know what it does. I can say that it won't blow up your computer, otherwise, despondent sayeth not.
    Sorry for Hijacking your thread. I will now shut the #&%@$# up, and return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    ASW test pack in mt previous post this thread. I did figure out a way to do sea mines, bty. You can lay a field, and it will sit inert for the entire session, and they will detonate when a player runs over them. You can also 'Sweep' from an aircraft. Have not figured out how to make AI ships set off the mines though. Hmmm. I wonder if I can make a sled or a MOP for the CH-53...thats the easy part. How could you tow it? Hoist in mission?
    I'll attempt to test over next week and report back.

OT - I have no idea how the "basket" on a buddy store works in FSX, but I think it trails the buddy store behind and below. Could your sled work like the basket on a buddy store? If unable to "hoist" could it just be on / off within certain aircraft flight parameters (i.e., height AGL (in this case "above sea level") and specified airspeed range).
    Jay

Well, in order not to disappoint anyone in future, please beware that the weapon systems functionality will be extremely limited: not much more than select the station, switch the Master Arm and fire - sorry for that, but I have no time to do more than this...
    Now, if you will excuse me, I have an extremely boring night of carrier traps ahead :-)

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	8426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image2.jpg 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	8427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image4.jpg 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	8428

This will be great! One of my dad's friends was one of the first to operate the S3, which was quite a transition from the piston S2! Another friend and colegue flew them for a number of years. Interesting plane, will have to try single engine approaches to the boat, something thta wasnt encouraged if alternates were available.

Cheers: tom

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Attachment 8430

Gee whiz, my brain just will not push start today! I @&$%#! up the FX controller for the NDC. Drop this one into the fx folder and replace, it has the corrected lines.

These are set up as releasable objects from a saved flight. So, 1) save a flight, 2)then exit flight or sim, then go to Documents/Flight Simulator X Files, find your saved flight, 3)open with note pad, and down at the bottom some place, 4) add this line(from the read me file)

[DroppableObjects.0]
    ObjectSet.0=Nuclear_Depth_Charge_LULU,2

The last number being the number of 'weapons' you want to carry

Again, apologies in advance; I have been mucking about with a number of effects trying for the right look, and this one I have not tested, so I don't know what it will do, if anything. If you have a favorite nuke effect you want to use, just post THE NAME of the effect, and I'll scribble up a modded fx controller and post it for you. I'll be in and out today. Been rainy, so a good evening for simming. Have to get caught up on some projects.

edit: just loaded up a test flight, and this iteration of NDC does not work as I intended, so back to the drawing board*sighs* I'll push this one up in the queue and try to get a resolution. The rest all should work as intended, and I'll dig for the old thread to put an end to this infernal hijacking.
    Last edited by lazarus; May 19th, 2014 at 12:52.

A quick update... final system check is now 80% complete, an Alpha version (which will lack Tacpack functionality) will be available by the end of the week, but will not be released to the public.
    Following that (in a 2-3 weeks timeframe), a Tacpack-capable Beta version will be released to the public.

Name:	10380109_835674536446009_60349285627476867_o.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	8705

Members +
    Blog Entries

Very much looking forward to it Dino!

I was just thinking about this upcoming release yesterday; while at the Wetaskiwin airport yesterday, I noticed a Convair Firecat sitting on the ramp. Was neat to see it, hadn't seen one in person before. It was on the museum ramp, so not sure it was an acquisition, or just visiting.

Members who have read this thread: 37