Collin "LongJock" Glendinning 1951-2014
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Collin "LongJock" Glendinning 1951-2014

Lat:N3650.1 Long:W11403.3 Elev: 1975 K67L

Exclamation Got sad news last night...our friend Collin past yesterday.

Collin Glendinning Of CG's Shipyard past yesterday, his sister asked to let everyone know I posted in newshawks but figured it was alright to post here too Collin was a great friend and Mentor to me, I will miss him S! my friend
    Last edited by Captain Tenneal; March 1st, 2014 at 05:33.
    The Virtual Navy

"I Survived the Unpleasantness"...

Collin Glendinning? Of CG's Shipyard?

Lat:N3650.1 Long:W11403.3 Elev: 1975 K67L
    yes, his sister contacted me last night I'm going to update the original post
    The Virtual Navy

"I Survived the Unpleasantness"...

Sad news indeed.

I met Collin on Skype. He was a great guy and a friend. I haven't spoken with him recently but he will be missed. His contributions to CFS2 are numerous and fantastic in their detail. Yes, thank you for posting it here too - CFS2 was his love.

RIP Collin.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Thanks CT. This is sad news. Indeed!

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Unhappy Bummer.

Very sad news indeed. Collin was one of true greats around here. A super good guy with a terrific sense of humor and also a very talented and interesting guy. Thank you for all of the help, advice and laughs over the years. And thanks for all of your contributions to this hobby that we all love and share. Collin, you will be missed.

Thanks, CT, for the heads up.

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

So very sad to hear of this.

CFS 2 is so much better from your involvement, & I thank you for it. Safe voyage my friend.

Rest in Peace

Sad news indeed. Condolences and prayers to his family and friends.

Very sad news. I was on skype with Collin and Tango in the fall and we had many laughs and talked about CFS2 for a couple of hours. He was a master of his craft and will be greatly missed.

RIP my Friend,

Talon

Unhappy Reply...

I will miss Collin dearly, he was a very kind soul who understood all too well the issues that I and grizzly50 have with our legs. He was much worse off than either of us, because the damage to his legs stemmed from his work in the British Merchant Marine during a fire where he put his own life on the line to save others.

Despite the fact that he was in constant pain, he would always ask me when we spoke about how my legs were doing, and often took his upon himself to make ships in CFS2 for people, such as the SS Ohio tanker. Collin was a true gentlemen, a class act, and as others said, had a wicked sense of humor.

I hope God keeps the grog handy...you know how those British sailors can be. Godspeed, my friend.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

I have known and used all of his great works since he first released them. He was and will be one of the greats. Collin you will be missed. Safe journy. ~S
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

And so we witness the passing of another master. He will be missed.

Godspeed to him and may his family find peace.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Sad news indeed.....

.... I always felt that his depictions of some of the ships of the line were the best around for their class. His rendition of the USS Laffey was extremely accurate as I remember her from when we operated with her in my squadron.

Collin, as you are piped over the Quarterdeck one last time,to change stations and get underway to your final port-of-call, you will not quickly be forgotten and your ships will steam as long as my comp. runs. God speed, sir.
    The first one tonight will be for you.
    Last edited by Fibber; March 2nd, 2014 at 10:00.

May his soul rest in peace

Terribly sad news indeed. Thankfully he will always be remembered in this community because of the passion he put into his creations, which grace many CFS2 installs.

To Fair Winds and Safe Harbours Collin.

God speed Collin , You will be missed ,

Thanks Capt for the heads up ,

I am shocked and deeply saddened by this news. I really loved Colin and we talked often and long over the years and he was a mentor, a friend and a shipmate of mine that i held in high esteem and deeply cared about. I had not been in touch with him for a while. but that was my fault and the fault of my own health being up and down at times. I knew of his circumstances and his life and much of his history for we shared a love of ships and the sea and he bridged the gap actually between sail and steam and modern shipping as he started out in training as a young lad and was for years a well known and much respected officer in the British merchant marine. He had a awesome skill in ship modelling and wicked humour and we shared so much. I am so sorry to hear this, i will try to get in touch with the family.

oh me. i am sorry.
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Sad news indeed...confirming Bruce's contact with family...contacted us via Facebook. Very sad news. Going to miss my friend and mentor. Been friends over a decade...terrific modeler,fantastic naval historian and most important... Good man.Miss ya mate....fair seas and following winds. :unitedkingdom
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

A Good Man a Good Friend and a Great Teacher. I always enjoyed those conversations with him, even hearing him snore, will always remember that amazing sense of humor. Rum for a Toast........................Lord Collin God Bless You.

This is a shock. Collin was one of those truly unique individuals. He always had the sunny side up.

His kind of person always leave a legacy. I believe your legacy Collin, will live for a very long time and always leave smiles on faces of those that knew you.

~S~

Kelti is right, 2014 hasn't been starting out very well. The loss of Akemi and now Collin. RIP to our lost friends, they shall be missed. I hope that later we have a chance to meet again and with all our passed family and friends.

my condolences. he was a major contributor to cfs 2. first akemi now him. gone too soon.

Colin was a Senior Captain of those of us who make ships and naval models and mods for CFS2 and some other sims, he was a British gentleman from a past generation who started out as a lad training on one of the last sail training ships in Britian, he learned his seamanship from the keel up and rose in the ranks to be a highly respected officer in the British Merchant Marine in one of the finest shipping lines of his time. He retired and lived in London in a small flat on the outskirts of London and had a busy and happy daily routine visiting with friends and a neighboring tea shop that he visited daily and was a much loved customer of, he took suceeding generations of waitresses under his wing and was loved by them all. I met him now many years ago when i first started studying flight sims as he and I were drawn together by our shared love of ships and the sea, naval history and naval war and warships. We talked hundreds of hours sometimes for hours at a time on Skype, and he was my mentor in ship modeling and testing and I was a tester for his ships and ship designs. He made some of the best WWII ships for CFS2 with totally accurate shapes and textures he has a library of actual authenic naval pant ships from WWII and his camo schemes were the best in any sim. He also loved the Korean war era and was working with the Fox Five group on that.

His other loves included rail road history, british and he collected scale models of them as well as the ship lore and love he had. He worked with many of us including Sully who developed some wonderful ships of his own to suppliment WWII with essential ship types we had not had before and Colin was always ready with advice and help for any of us who needed to consult and to work on new projects. He was close to his family and they helped care for him when he faced his medical challenges, and he had been in and out of hospital at times over the past years but I had hoped he would remain with us for many years to come.

It is never easy to lose a shipmate, and I will always always miss him. He has set sail on his last voyage and I will always think of him fondly and wish him safe journey, calm seas and fair winds wherever he may fare.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hmsbellona.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	4915

You can obtain Colin's complete fleet of ship models for CFS2 here:

http://simviation.com//lair/cfs2shipyard.htm

hope we can keep these fine ships available and online. I hope the Fox Four group will see to this.
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

God speed Collin , You will be missed

Members who have read this thread: 37