Rest in Peace Collin
    Condolences and prayers to his family and friends

Collin was a master

SAD NEWS!

Pepe

SOH-CM-2018

Oh bloody hell.

Another one gone.

A real gentleman of the sea. He will be greatly missed by all who appreciated his work and his personality.
    I have always been a team player. I was once part of a human centipide.

His ships were some of the best of any virtual ship models in any sim, they were accurate and detailed yet worked within the limits of the sim as he was acutely aware of its limitations. We worked hard on the ones i worked on him with to get things right and I really enjoyed the testing phases. I will try to find some pics i have of some of our work... i am so glad he was with us as long as he was.

A strafing run on one of Colin's Japanese Maru's....showing top side gear and fittings. Just those engine vents alone took very skilled crafting...

A japanese Landing Ship with landing craft aboard...showing the great detail including light AA guns mounted by the taffrail.

Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano

Icon9 NO! Not another one!

I can't believe it! First Akemi and now Colin. What's wrong with 2014?

Captain Kurt spoke the same exact words that came instantly to my mind when I saw the title of the thread in the list: "...we are witnessing the passing of another master"...

Terribly sad news, indeed. I haven't got the luck of being so close to him like some other members here, but on a few occasions I had a touch of his hilarious and pungent humour when he made comments about things that I had done and posted.

I always loved British humour, I have the best Monty Python's movies both on VHS tape and DVD, some of Colin's punch lines reminded me of Monty Python and Fawlty Towers!

From all the replies that I just read, comes out a pictures of a fine human being which I would have liked very much to be able to meet in person, shake his hand and have a couple of pints together. So goes life.

Fare thee well, my friend. As I wished Akemi endless bright blue skies to fly in forever, I am wishing you warm head winds feeding your sails and wonderful oceans to sail in for eternity. May both of you be in the palm of the Gods' hand. Amen.

Stefano
    Last edited by kelticheart; March 3rd, 2014 at 03:54.
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Icon22 Reply...

Stefano,

Don't get me wrong, I love Monty Python. But Collin always struck me as a Benny Hill kind of guy, especially considering that he used to flirt with the nurses when he was in the hospital.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Stefano,

Don't get me wrong, I love Monty Python. But Collin always struck me as a Benny Hill kind of guy, especially considering that he used to flirt with the nurses when he was in the hospital.
    Hey...you knew him better than I. A mix of John Cleese and Benny Hill then!

S.

Colin loved the ladies. Some of his best stories were in that theme .... he WAS a wonderful fellow and actually he did enjoy both of the UK comedy masters mentioned...but also history he collected BBC and other history series and stories and generously directed some of us to the good ones and even shared example across the pond. And he loved a pint as well, so i am sure he is lifting a few in Heaven with former shipmates and mates...just wish we could have kept him here a bit longer.
    Admin

Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
    Colin loved the ladies. Some of his best stories were in that theme .... he WAS a wonderful fellow and actually he did enjoy both of the UK comedy masters mentioned...but also history he collected BBC and other history series and stories and generously directed some of us to the good ones and even shared example across the pond. And he loved a pint as well, so i am sure he is lifting a few in Heaven with former shipmates and mates...just wish we could have kept him here a bit longer.
    CrisGer,

let me make a comment I heard several times in my life: the best ones are always the first ones to go, while the worst ones are always around...

S.

Colin would laugh at that..he used to say when his time came they would have to catch him first
    Admin

I am just speechless to hear that Collin has past away - that is indeed sad news.
    My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace on his ocean of choice ;-)

Akemi also? Wow, I did not know that!

A few of these to these great guys.

At least these sad news come here to these forums. I don´t want to know how many we knew around here have past away in silence...
    Visit my CFS2-dedicated sites: CFS2 : Tips&Tricks + Downloads + A/C-Profiles + Links

My condolences to all on hearing of this sad news. Colin went out of his was to make me, and others, the USS Kadashan Bay. And, for that I will be forever grateful.
    "Second star to the right, and steer on til morning". God Bless.
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

SOH-CM-2016
    Truly sad news. Fair winds and following seas to a CFS2 Admiral!

Heya Kelti;

We're all gettin' up there, my friend. My biggest regret will be that I never met you guys nose to nose. This sim, indeed this forum is filled with terrific people. Time marches on. 2013/14 has been very tough on me and my family. We just plug on, missing those who are ahead of us. It hurts, it really does.

If we can get there thinking that the race has been run, I've done my best, then we have no fears.

CFS2 heaven? Absolutely. We'll all take a sip together one day. Here's to you, me and all of us, Kelti............

Great to be here......great to be anywhere

I knew this would turn into an Irish Wake...

Where Collin wasn't Irish, I will have to be enough for the both of us. Though I may fall a bit short.

So in honor of our Friend, Mentor, Shipmate, Brother in Arms, or just the Man who's works we all admired.

Lift up a glass and celebrate the life that was.

One day we will all join him, in God's good time.

Just remember to give the waitress a 'pat' for him, as she passes by.

"Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Especially the waitress..Colin loved "his girls". and they loved him every one.
    Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    Where Collin wasn't Irish, I will have to be enough for the both of us. Though I may fall a bit short.

So in honor of our Friend, Mentor, Shipmate, Brother in Arms, or just the Man who's works we all admired.

Lift up a glass and celebrate the life that was.

One day we will all join him, in God's good time.

Just remember to give the waitress a 'pat' for him, as she passes by.

Sláinte!

Oh, wrap me in my country’s flag
    And lay me in the cold, blue sea.
    Let the roaring of the waves
    My solemn requiem be.
    And I shall sleep a pleasant sleep
    While storms above their vigils keep.

My Captain brave shall read for me
    The service of the silent dead.
    And yea, shall lower me in the waves
    When all the prayers are said.
    And I will find my long, long home
    Among the billows and the foam.
    Farewell my friends, for many a league
    We’ve sailed together on the deep.
    Come, let us shake our hands
    I’ll sail no more but ship mates were we.

I’m bound above, my course is run
    I near the port, my voyage is done.

<S>
    Best Regards,
    Ghostrider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

He was my friend...

...and he will be missed by many. Gentle winds and calm seas, Collin.
    (Image courtesy of Tango_Romeo)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cgs memorial.jpg  

I have fond memories of being shot down several times by Collin in his favorite MB5.

He was a real character.

LINK

the stories he told in the canteena will bring a tear to your eye.
    Last edited by simonu; March 14th, 2014 at 00:58. Reason: hyperlinked a search but it didn't work

"Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Collin "LongJock" Glendinning 1951-2014

Collin passed away suddenly of a heart attack on his way home from the cafe across the street from his flat.

This was his favourite place ... where he spent much time, health permitting.

His health was very poor and steadily declining. Old injuries suffered during his career in the merchant marine were taking their toll.
    Those injuries, mostly to his legs; were as a direct result of his supreme bravery while rendering assistance to ships at sea, by
    fighting fires and saving countless lives without concern for his personal safety.

Most people don’t know this about him. He was much too modest to speak of it; except to those closest to him.

I can at last, proclaim to the world that: Collin Glendinning is a HERO of the Highest Magnitude and one of the most Honourable men
    to have ever walked this earth.

His funeral was yesterday, March 14.
    His last wish was to be cremated and his ashes scattered at Coalhouse Fort in East Tilbury, UK.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coalhouse Fort.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	5528

I met Collin in the SOH forum and we immediately hit it off and became friends.

I vividly remember dragging him ... “kicking & screaming” onto Skype in 2007.
    He soon learned that this opened a new world for
    him as he was able to meet the people he only knew thru emails & Forum threads.
    It was a few months after this that we realized we had actually met once before.

In the summer of 1962; Collin’s Father was working in Canada. They were living in the small town of Erin, Ontario .. just outside Toronto.
    My family was there to visit my Dad’s buddy from WW2. Bored ... I went outside looking around for trouble ... and met Collin.
    We ended up having a great time that day but never spoke again.

We both found it quite a coincidence to meet again 43 years later in the SOH CFS2 forum in 2005.

I feel quite fortunate to have known him and honoured to be his “brother”.
    Knowing Collin has made made my life more enjoyable ... I like to think that I did the same for him.
    Isn’t that what true friendship is all about?

Collin was most certainly a “one of a kind” and the world now seems a little paler without him.

But I choose not to grieve his passing, rather to celebrate his life and the joy he brought into the lives of everyone around him.

As long as his memory lives in our hearts ... he will never be truly gone.

T.P Orange
    aka "Dirtman
    "

Name:	Collin 1b.jpg 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	5529

Name:	Collin 2b.jpg 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	5530

Name:	Collin 6b.jpg 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	5531

Name:	sailor.gif 
Views:	1 
Size:	2.0 KB 
ID:	5532Click image for larger version. 

ID:	5532Click image for larger version. 

ID:	5532

Thank you for all you've done and rest in peace old friend.

Greg
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Collin's Eulogy - by Simon B.

FYI:
    To Collin, Simon was the son he always wanted but never had.
    To Simon, Collin was the Father he'd always wished for.

Hi, I'm Simon

Collin was many things to many people, he also had 2 names. On-line he went by CG Shipyard.
    This name he chose as it bore relation to his love of all things naval (except sinking). He spent countless hours designing ships on his computer, he shared his designs so that others could include them in the games they played.

Collins favourite game was Battle Pirates. He made many friends in this game, and dozens of them joined his on-line memorial by dropping anchor, in the shape of a cross around his base. Old grumpy killer koala, Kiwi D, Misty, Blade, Punisher, Poison Ivy, Devil, Commander Duncan Wale, Nice Guy, Mummy Maniac, Eagle, Geff22erson, Yony the members of S2c and all his other BP brethren thanks for caring and honouring him in the only way you can. In the spirit of the game Fair winds, calm seas, dry powder and free rum, is what they would wish for him in his new voyage.

Collin and I met some 10 years ago, he spotted me walking to the office downstairs reading a book by Robert Heinlein..
    He remarked on what a good book I was reading, and I agreed, he said he had every book he had ever written upstairs.. Shocked and intrigued, I entered his flat to find a book collection which I envied.. I was told, should I wish to read any, I was more than welcome to stay and read, but that he didn't lend out his books.. It was a few hours later, screwdriver in one hand, fag in another, computers strewn across his floor, and merry laughter filling the room that we bonded as men do around machines.

“Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” Heinlein..

I loved Collin. Collin took care of me when I was sad. When I needed a place to sleep, I had it. If I was hungry he fed me TANSTAAFL, if I wanted a fag he would roll one for me. Collin was a kind, witty, intelligent man; sure he was often cranky, un-trusting of strangers and the state, and more stuck in his ways than was useful, but he made an excellent father figure, friend and confidant. And at the moment I struggle to think that I will ever get over his loss.

I remember the day I introduced him to Buy one get one free's; he didn't trust the supermarkets so much that even the offer of paying for his entire trolley load would not convince him that anything in life was free. I had to queue up behind him and do a separate purchase.. This did however lead to the bulk buying of coke and biscuits.

“Being a mother is an attitude, not a biological relation.” Heinlein
    Collin loved his mum! He loved her so very much, no he didn't want to live with her, sure he didn't appreciate her doing the washing up or hoovering which he let pile up for her visits, but what child does appreciate these things? Collin flew solo. It was his choice, he was a hard man to get close to, mainly because he did not want to let anyone see his softer side; but it was there when he was around his mum, and I ribbed him for it mercilessly.. Thanks Ed for raising a man who in my view had few equals.

Collin recently found his long lost family. He was very excited by this. He very much wanted them to meet his mum, but he was worried about how she would feel about meeting them. Well time waits for no man and the decision was taken from him. Needless to say if he had a dying wish it would be for you to get to know each other.

I would urge anyone who wants to mourn Collins passing to get a BOGOF and remember that some things in life are free, go to east tilbury fort, and drink some rum in his name. Then read a book by Heinlein, whilst the sun sets. Its what I will do, and if I might have his ashes at some later date it is where I believe he should rest.

I'm sure many of you wonder why Collin ended up the way he did, so in closing I find it only necessary to say that I hope that in the place where he is now that shrapnel no longer hurts him, that his broken heart heals and that he is with the woman he loved, and the child he never met.

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.” Heinlein.. and now finally Collin can sleep as much as he wants.

Goodbye my friend, it was a pleasure an honour, and a blessing to have known you.

Name:	cgs memorial.jpg 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	5533

Collage by Simon B.

Members who have read this thread: 37