The Lockheed PV-1 Vega Ventura
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lockheed PV-1 Vega Ventura

The Lockheed PV-1 Vega Ventura

Well, I thought this would not be such a stretch from the L-18 based Lodestar. Boy, was I wrong. been cranking seriously on this for about 60 hours to get to this point. Only the bomb bay left to do, another 6 hours or so and the exterior should be ready. Not much left of the Lodestar and Harpoon parts to build this one. Hoping I can share extensively the VC parts to reduce build time.

Now you military guys who thought maybe the C-60A would not be enough, now you can haul some "kick-a$$" of a different kind.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Blog Entries
    Love of Lockheeds. Looks like a hot ship Milton. You did some serious lifting on this bird and it's fabulous.

Looks great Milton! I think in the long run this might even be more popular than the Harpoon.

Regards: Tom

Milton ... apparently we can't leave you unsupervised for more than a few hours! WONDERFUL!

Well, that's a pleasant surprise - lots of potential schemes in this one as well.

Thanks Milton.

..oh wow..!! was I thinking out loud with the microphone connected..?? thanks for continuing with the PV-1 !!
    and Tom has sure done a FINE job with the PV-2 fde,, really sweet..!!
    rgds
    t creed

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    Love of Lockheeds. Looks like a hot ship Milton. You did some serious lifting on this bird and it's fabulous.
    It required a lot more than I expected but cranking on it 12-14 hours a day it has come along quickly. Just got the bomb bay doors in; borrowed from the Harpoon and pushed and shoved to make them fit the Lodestar/PV-1 belly.

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Looks great Milton! I think in the long run this might even be more popular than the Harpoon.

Regards: Tom
    Tom, I am certain it will be; so many possibilities with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kestell View Post
    Milton ... apparently we can't leave you unsupervised for more than a few hours! WONDERFUL!
    My wife is moaning wondering when I will come up for air. She is most understanding. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    Well, that's a pleasant surprise - lots of potential schemes in this one as well.

Thanks Milton.
    You bet; I am happy to squeeze this one out in my spare time using parts of the Harpoon and Lodestar with a lot of adjustments and tweaks.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I think it was the C-60 that the RAAF used during WWII but this one looks very close. So I have ordered in more paint so it looks like I may have some work to do.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Hi Milton,

The Ventura has a particular interest to me as my Dad still remembers seeing Ventura's in SAAF livery in the 60's buzzing around, and at the airports! So it's nice to see one being made!

Will you be modelling one with windows in the front - like with a plexiglass bubble nose, as opposed to the solid nose?

Regards,
    Craig.
    Craig Tatley
    No DC-3 without the DC-2

http://www.dc2-fs.com/

This is outstanding Milton. Am having a ball flying your Harpoon around the Solomons. Hugely excited about adding to the Lockheed Twin fleet a Lodestar and Ventura!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Lockheed Twins are like tater chips. You can't have just one. Looking forward to this one as well.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

That little "fireplug" of an airplane is bristling with all kinds of firepower... tubby little troublemaker! And it looks as if to say, "Bring it!". Looks great so far, Milton, the Vega Ventura will be a nice compliment to the Harpoon, and its not so aggressive brother... the Lodestar.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    That little "fireplug" of an airplane is bristling with all kinds of firepower... tubby little troublemaker! And it looks as if to say, "Bring it!". Looks great so far, Milton, the Vega Ventura will be a nice compliment to the Harpoon, and its not so aggressive brother... the Lodestar.

BB686
    Indeed; finished up the exterior model this morning and that is ready for mapping. Will have to decide to map now or after the interior is done.

I am now ready to build the VC for the Lodestar now but I think we can do these concurrently.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

oooooh she's really looking a Beauty Milton! top drawer work as always!

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Indeed; finished up the exterior model this morning and that is ready for mapping. Will have to decide to map now or after the interior is done.

I am now ready to build the VC for the Lodestar now but I think we can do these concurrently.
    Breathless trying to keep pace with the forum, let alone the work, Sir!
    (distract him someone for 5 minutes, for Pete' sake. Please!).

Seriously - amazing progress; Bravo Milton!

For my tuppence worth; plow straight ahead with VC first, then study mapping approach for completed model.
    I have a few thoughts on how we can map for extra awesomosity - just need to catch up on your warp speed first.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Another beauty on the production line!
    Somebody help!!! Milton's at risk of burning himself out!

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Breathless trying to keep pace with the forum, let alone the work, Sir!
    (distract him someone for 5 minutes, for Pete' sake. Please!).

Seriously - amazing progress; Bravo Milton!

For my tuppence worth; plow straight ahead with VC first, then study mapping approach for completed model.
    I have a few thoughts on how we can map for extra awesomosity - just need to catch up on your warp speed first.
    I tend to agree on the doing the VC first (on the Lodestar) before mapping. I can use a lot of the Lodestar and Harpoon VC parts on the Ventura. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    Another beauty on the production line!
    Somebody help!!! Milton's at risk of burning himself out!
    The Lodestar and Ventura exterior model efforts were intense for sure but that exterior heavy lifting is now done. The harder part for me is the VC as there is little guidance for interior things. Takes longer, more frustrating. :-) So, I will focus now in the cockpit VC's for both aircraft now, then map both afterwards. Patience now. :-)

Edit: Got the basic interior infrastructure in place
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; March 13th, 2014 at 12:32.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Amazing!

I put in a 1 TB hard drive last year. Don't know if it's going to be big enough if you keep this up! LOL! Looks great Milton! Dave P3aewguy

Quote Originally Posted by p3aewguy View Post
    I put in a 1 TB hard drive last year. Don't know if it's going to be big enough if you keep this up! LOL! Looks great Milton! Dave P3aewguy
    LOL Dave; I usually accumulate 5-6 GB of stuff per project and my drive is holding up just fine. It is interesting when I recall that back in my early days as a computer programmer, we ran the whole company on 300 MBs :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Wow! I look forward to the Ventura when it's ready! The Ventura was a hot ship compared to the heavier and slower PV-2 Harpoon...
    Great work Milton
    Just wanted to point out something on the model- I know it's a WIP, and you probably know, but the oil cooler intakes were flush with the gear doors along the bottom.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Wow! I look forward to the Ventura when it's ready! The Ventura was a hot ship compared to the heavier and slower PV-2 Harpoon...
    Great work Milton
    Just wanted to point out something on the model- I know it's a WIP, and you probably know, but the oil cooler intakes were flush with the gear doors along the bottom.
    Ah yes, it took some searching to find that detail as my on-the-ground pics have the doors open, and the 3-views hide the doors with the nacelles, and the in-flight pics are dark or bad angles. But I see now you are correct. I'll fix that; thanks for the heads-up. :-)

EDIT: the 12 parts involved in this change have been adjusted; now for the other engine/cowling/oil cooler/cooler flaps/exhaust skirt. :-)
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; March 14th, 2014 at 07:12. Reason: add screen shot
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

LOL Dave; I usually accumulate 5-6 GB of stuff per project and my drive is holding up just fine. It is interesting when I recall that back in my early days as a computer programmer, we ran the whole company on 300 MBs :-)
    Yeah, remember when 512k floppies were standard? LOL!!! I had a TRS(Tandy) 80 with dual 20 meg hard disk cards. Woo Hoo! Hot stuff!

When I had the 1 TB drive installed the techs were amazed at the size of my Microsoft Games folder. I also have my paint kits folder in there also. Yeah, I hoard Flt sim stuff!

Dave

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Deja vous of those times, LOL - not long ago, a 10MB graphics archive would get flabbergasted printing and production houses promptly buzzing.

Xp-47J comes in at circa 4.5 GBs for sounds and 3.85 for artwork.

I shudder to check the Poon - 'there are 12 separate sound dev. folders on my machine.

Graphics ? - not tellin' ya...

YET!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by p3aewguy View Post
    Yeah, remember when 512k floppies were standard? LOL!!! I had a TRS(Tandy) 80 with dual 20 meg hard disk cards. Woo Hoo! Hot stuff!
    512K Dave? My first PC (an Amstrad 1512) used 5¼in floppies, which had a capacity of 340k; mind you, I had the luxury version with the 10MB hard drive. Incredible to think that the RAM on that machine was just 512k, when I now run a machine with 12GB of RAM!!
    Andy

We've come a long way from then!

Members who have read this thread: 96