MDLC work around for 64-bit OS

Thread: MDLC work around for 64-bit OS

MDLC work around for 64-bit OS

I have recently been working with Windows 8.1 (64-bit) and have found a work around to run MDLC on a 64-bit OS. This is what I found to get MDLC working:

Directions:

Go to: http://www.japheth.de/HX.html
    At bottom of screen select HXRT (top button and download)
    File name downloaded: HXRT216.zip
    Make a folder name C:\HX on your PC
    Extract files from the HXRT216.zip to folder C:\HX

Go to: http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1
    Select: Windows 0.74 Win32 installer (and download)
    File name downloaded: DOSBox0.74-win32-installer.exe
    Install to the default C:\Program Files (x86) folder

Open folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74

Run file: DOSBox 0.74 Options.bat

Go to the bottom of the page and find:

[autoexec]
    # Lines in this section will be run at startup.
    # You can put your MOUNT lines here.

Notes: I have used the Fw190 as a sample filename, so change that to whatever filename you are going to compile. Also I have used C:\MDLC_85 for the MDLC files location, so change that if your MDLC file folder is different.

For compiling to MDL file add these lines underneath the [autoexec] lines:

mount G C:\HX\BIN
    mount C C:\MDLC_B85
    path=z:;g:;c:
    HDPMI16 -r
    C:
    mdlc /m Fw190.sca
    pause
    mdlc /l Fw190.bgl
    hdpmi16 -d
    pause
    hdpmi16
    mdlc /c Fw190.mdk
    pause
    exit

Save and exit. Run DOSBox and you should have a compiled model (i.e. Fw190.MD2 from the scasm source file). Copy the file to your aircraft model folder and rename the file extension MD2 to MDL.

To decompile an MDL to scasm add these lines underneath the [autoexec] lines instead of the lines above that are for compiling:

HDPMI16 -r
    C:
    mdlc /a Fw190.mdl
    pause
    exit

Save, exit and run DOSBox. You should have a scasm coded .sca file from the MDL file.

I'll write a short tutorial to upload to the appropiate SOH libraries if it works okay for those that are interested, so your feedback about how it works for you is appreciated.

Cheers, O

That's great !

I just reinstalled CFS2 again, just to try it out again & maybe create some new sceneries and ran in the 64bit problem when starting MDLC. Well, computers change.
    A tutorial is very welcome.

That's right Oglivie. It's a workaround. The only thing is (at least on my computers) it will take a lot more time than on f.ex. a XP. So usually I sneak into my wife's 32 bit Win7 if it's possible.

Morton

Hi Morton,

I like your procedure....It sure saves time to have 32-bit PC for the 16-bit programs. I sill have access to my Windows XP 32-bit, but I got tired of having to start up two PCs and transfer files to Windows 8.1, which I like with its faster processing speed and WiFi as compared to my 8-year old XP PC. So I researched the DOSBox procedure to see if it could be made to work for MDLC.

Microsoft is dropping support (which will include stopping updates I think) for the XP OS on April 8 this year. So I think internet vulnerability may increase for XP after that time. But of course there are Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus programs that still may provide enough protection for the web.

Cheers, O

Update...

I found an error in my previous post and this is an update to fix my previous errors. Although MDLC will work with the DOSBox emulater, the scasm.exe will not and it requires the Windows operating system to run.

So the MDLC /m command that executes scasm.exe will not work at all under 64-bit OS or DOSBox. However scasm can be run from the Windows command prompt window to compile an sca file to bgl.

Sample: scasm fw190.sca fw190.bgl

Then for linking the bgl to the fligh simulator file and converting to CFS2 file add these lines underneath the [autoexec] lines (instead of what's in my previous post for compliling):

HDPMI16
    C:
    pause
    mdlc /l Fw190.bgl
    pause
    HDPMI16
    mdlc /c Fw190.mdk
    pause
    exit

Note I have removed MDLC /m from the command lines along with some minor changes. Also if you do not want to exit DOSBox right away after the MDLC the exit comand can be removed also. Follow the other directions in my previous post for more info and add these above corrections. Thanks.

SCASM 2.xx is a Win32 console application. That means that it will look like a DOS program to you but will have all advantages of 32 bit programms including the ability of handling long filenames.

I know it works fine on Win7 with command prompt and should on Win8. Also MDLC /m is disabled on the newer MDLC 190.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Members who have read this thread: 32