Distance gauge

Thread: Distance gauge

Distance gauge

Iam looking for a distance gauge. Something simple that can tell me nm's flown. Something that I can reset to zero at any time during a flight. I have searched and could not find one.
    Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by robert41 View Post
    Iam looking for a distance gauge. Something simple that can tell me nm's flown. Something that I can reset to zero at any time during a flight. I have searched and could not find one.
    Any help is appreciated.
    I made such a gauge years ago, but I don't think I uploaded it. (I use it for testing in carrrier operations and spaceflight).
    Besides selectable units (ft, nmiles, meters, km's), you can reset the zero-point at any time.
    It displays both "straight" distance (the distance between current position and ref. point) and "travelled" distance (which is what you want).

However, it needs a brush-up.
    - Straight distance is only accurate within 100 nmiles or so, because it uses simplified formules (not the great-circle formules) now.
    - It only measures in the horizontal plane (so doesn't take altitude difference into account). I'll implement that too, and make that user-selectable.

So I just need to re-code the original gauge a bit; all needed code is already implemented in my space-flight package, but not as stand-alone, simple gauge.
    Probably have it ready in a week or so, after which I'll upload it here. (freeware of course) ...

Rob

In addition to robert41, I also have a good use for this in an upcoming project. It will sit nicely in the flight engineer's panel.

Best, Paul

It would also be most useful for Hump flying ... especially between ndb signals.

that is very cool...ill use that as well..thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    I made such a gauge years ago, but I don't think I uploaded it. (I use it for testing in carrrier operations and spaceflight).
    Besides selectable units (ft, nmiles, meters, km's), you can reset the zero-point at any time.
    It displays both "straight" distance (the distance between current position and ref. point) and "travelled" distance (which is what you want).

However, it needs a brush-up.
    - Straight distance is only accurate within 100 nmiles or so, because it uses simplified formules (not the great-circle formules) now.
    - It only measures in the horizontal plane (so doesn't take altitude difference into account). I'll implement that too, and make that user-selectable.

So I just need to re-code the original gauge a bit; all needed code is already implemented in my space-flight package, but not as stand-alone, simple gauge.
    Probably have it ready in a week or so, after which I'll upload it here. (freeware of course) ...

Rob
    A huge thanks Rob. Looking forward to this.

... or one could use the same equipment that is required to be installed in all certified aircraft - a functioning clock.

It can be used to measure elapsed time, interval time (one ndb to the next), stages of an approach, time to/of climb/descent, and can be used as a reminder when dinner is ready.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    ... or one could use the same equipment that is required to be installed in all certified aircraft - a functioning clock.

It can be used to measure elapsed time, interval time (one ndb to the next), stages of an approach, time to/of climb/descent, and can be used as a reminder when dinner is ready.

oh allways with the obvious...you think were all as schmart as you?.......sheeesh.....

Ready for testing .....

Hi,

Have a testversion ready now.
    If anyone cares to test it before I upload, please drop me an Email, or PM with your Email address to mail it to.

For obvious reasons, I never upload anything untill at least one person has installed it / tried it properly

Best, Rob

Gauge uploaded .....

I just uploaded the Distance Calculator gauge to SOH as file rcbdc-20.zip (in the FSX/Other section).

Enjoy ...

Cheers, Rob

very cool,thank you.

Members who have read this thread: 72