T28A Trojan donationware public beta test - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: T28A Trojan donationware public beta test

So I'm a bit late to the thread here, but wow! What a cool surprise to see this T-28A... and coincidental timing for me since just 2 months ago we (a group) just bought a really nice, clean, low time T-28A. I can't afford the care and feeding of one of these on my own, but as a group of 5 pilots buying a small engine "A" model, it should be manageable. I'm not a high time 28 driver by any stretch, only 5 hours in it so far, but what a sweet, nice flying airplane. The beauty of an A compared to the big engine beasts are smaller fuel burn and no type rating or LOA required; my checkout hop was an hour... the usual airwork and 3 landings, done. I'm sure the 1820 powered ships will blow this thing away performance-wise, but who cares!! This thing is a hoot to fly and it's easier at the fuel pump.

This FSX T-28A model is a thing of beauty; absolutely spot on with the visual model, the cockpit is just perfect, the sound is the real deal R-1300. Love the sound of a low pass from the tower view, it's just cool and funky! The performance and handling seems right on the mark as well, power settings/speeds are what I've seen in the real thing. The ailerons seem just right, but on the real ship, the aileron feel is adjustable; there's a tab adjustment to be made (by ground mechanic) on the ailerons that can either make 'em light as a feather with no real feedback, or can be made to be like set in concrete, both hands on the stick to get it to roll. I prefer somewhere in the middle!

My only beef with this model is the elevators seem to be a bit touchy at low speed in the landing flare, but I can tweak that. Also, it needs the later model low canopy and a 3 blade prop mod, it just looks better... but I keed, I keed!

Fantastic job Anthony, and thanks! Hope y'all don't mind if I post a coupla pics...

If you hit Shift+4 in the T-28A in the sim, you can can go to one of the pages there and adjust the right trim tab for the FDE in the sim.

Beautiful T-28A you have there, I'm jealous.

Oooh looks nice - where are you guys flying that out of?
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Wow, that's really neat. What a treat and a responsibility to be part of preserving such an aircraft. Thanks for the pics. Lovely bird!

Quote Originally Posted by jbDC9 View Post
    So I'm a bit late to the thread here, but wow! What a cool surprise to see this T-28A... and coincidental timing for me since just 2 months ago we (a group) just bought a really nice, clean, low time T-28A. I can't afford the care and feeding of one of these on my own, but as a group of 5 pilots buying a small engine "A" model, it should be manageable. I'm not a high time 28 driver by any stretch, only 5 hours in it so far, but what a sweet, nice flying airplane. The beauty of an A compared to the big engine beasts are smaller fuel burn and no type rating or LOA required; my checkout hop was an hour... the usual airwork and 3 landings, done. I'm sure the 1820 powered ships will blow this thing away performance-wise, but who cares!! This thing is a hoot to fly and it's easier at the fuel pump.

This FSX T-28A model is a thing of beauty; absolutely spot on with the visual model, the cockpit is just perfect, the sound is the real deal R-1300. Love the sound of a low pass from the tower view, it's just cool and funky! The performance and handling seems right on the mark as well, power settings/speeds are what I've seen in the real thing. The ailerons seem just right, but on the real ship, the aileron feel is adjustable; there's a tab adjustment to be made (by ground mechanic) on the ailerons that can either make 'em light as a feather with no real feedback, or can be made to be like set in concrete, both hands on the stick to get it to roll. I prefer somewhere in the middle!

My only beef with this model is the elevators seem to be a bit touchy at low speed in the landing flare, but I can tweak that. Also, it needs the later model low canopy and a 3 blade prop mod, it just looks better... but I keed, I keed!

Fantastic job Anthony, and thanks! Hope y'all don't mind if I post a coupla pics...

That's a nifty plane you've got there and I'm sure you will love it (T28 pilots never seem to have a bad word to say about the plane).

Interesting to see you have the armament package as well. These are rather rare things and it sure was tricky trying to model them for the T28 as there isn't much documentation or photos about and the original plane (VH-TRO) didn't have the weapons package.

Hope I don't get into trouble for this, but I just had to share.

If you are on Facebook, look for the Victoria Air Maintenance Ltd. page and you will see their new profile photo.

Kinda brings a tear to one's eye.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony31 View Post
    Interesting to see you have the armament package as well. These are rather rare things and it sure was tricky trying to model them for the T28 as there isn't much documentation or photos about and the original plane (VH-TRO) didn't have the weapons package.
    Yup, that's one cool thing about this T-28, it came with a full weapons package; two 2 rocket rails in the pics, two 3 rocket rails like you have modeled, 2 100 lb bombs and the gun pods plus gunsight. I think you're right on the rare part, we just sold the 3 rocket rails (rails only, no rockets) to someone for $3,000US. We still have plenty of stuff to hang on the wings and now have an extra 3 grand in the maintenance fund, which is rather nice. I don't think we'll actually mount/fly the bombs or gun pods much; lotta extra weight and drag... the manual shows a 10 kt loss of cruise speed with that stuff hanging. The currently mounted dual rocket setup seems fairly light and "low drag". Plus, they're kinda cool when out flying west of Houston (Texas) around the Brazos River; trolling down the river looking for VC sampans to blow up... fun stuff.

Now, off to donate to sim-outhouse for this fine aeroplane.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Ant, just a ? please. I went to here http://www.flightsimstore.com/produc...oducts_id=2694. Is this only FSX or P3DV2.1?? I was going to buy it as this donation one really impressed me.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Ant, just a ? please. I went to here http://www.flightsimstore.com/produc...oducts_id=2694. Is this only FSX or P3DV2.1?? I was going to buy it as this donation one really impressed me.
    Give it a week. That one at the moment is only version 1.0 of the B/C . I've just emailed the details of the new version 1.1 of the B/C and 2.1 of the D to all retailers and it will take them a while to update their files.

The T28B/C version 1.1 will be 310MB in size and the T28D version 2.1 will be 208MB.

I have removed the links to the public beta version of the T-28A and will upload the final version sometime next week.

Thanks to all those who provided comments and feedback.

Seriously excellent plane! Somehow you managed to pack amazing features in for such a low price! Craaazzzzyyyy!

There was only one downfall I noticed - the A (and the D from my testing) seems to affect VAS pretty well - about 700 MB. Not terrible but not great either.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Is there any difference between the public Beta and the on I downloaded a week or so ago (before I sent my donation)?
    Looks and flies great for me even with that almost invisible Beta on the nose.

The final release will have a number of fixes beyond the original public beta (V090).

Some of these are rather important if using P3D (ie preventing memory leaks).

There were also a few missing textures and one extra texture definition in the models.

Also for MP the flooding issue looks to have been solved (which it wasn't completely in V090).

There are also changes to some bugs in the armaments panel (mainly to do with the bomb dropping) and the rocket speed was not being updated correctly so rockets didn't fly as far as possible.

So, to sum up, when the final release of the T-28A is available (some time this week I hope) make sure you download that as there were quite a few bug fixes from the public beta.

Members who have read this thread: 200