55 Hours and Done!

Thread: 55 Hours and Done!

57 Hours and Done!

Did anyone outside the SOH RTWR Team know this was even happening? From 0800CST Saturday morning until 1830CST last evening, Team SOH was in the air, 24/7 in an effort to be first across the finish line and hoist the winners trophy. We fell just short in the closest finish to date racing against flightsim.com and Avsim. At times we had as many as 14 pilots on Team Speak checking winds, weather, alternate routing, giving moral support and in the air in teams of two (Baton holder and Wingman). Other team members were readying their aircraft for takeoff as the baton was passed to them. . .flying the DH Hornet, F8F Bearcat, F7F-3 Tigercat, P-51 Mustang, 737's, 747's, Spits and even the F-86 at altitudes up to 30,000ft and higher to catch favorable wind currents hoping to save time and give us the edge. Many of us were grabbing a few hours sleep as others took off so we could be mildly coherent when it was our turn, most got less than 4hrs in any 24hr period as we kept aircraft in the air. There we many folks, who could only offer brief periods of flying as they had RW commitments that kept them from flying more, but kudos to them for stepping up and helping when they could as it gave others some much needed rest.

Behind the scenes work, just to get us to the point of being ready to go with a full flight plan, was handled by some great folks who are experts at the RTWR thing and our success in getting from point A to point B would never have been possible without the hard work they put in for months and months leading up to the Race Time Start. My guess is those same folks (Tako-Kichi and Dangerousdave26 for starters) are looking ahead to 2015 and the chance to show our stuff and take home the trophy.

In closing, my thanks to every member of the team, great job one and all. I learned a lot, both about the techniques of good racing, but also about flying aircraft to their limits and getting the most out of them. Things I rarely if ever concerned myself with up to this point, lol. I also met some great people online, many that I had heard about but never interacted with and there was never a time when I felt like the odd man out because I had never flown in the Race before. I was given every opportunity to fly, both as Wingman and Baton Holder and tried my best not to screw anything up that would cost us a flight or any bonus time we were racing for. Thanks again to everyone who contributed to our success as a team. . .yes, we fell short this time, but it was still a blast. . .and I actually got a full nights sleep, FINALLY!
    Last edited by falcon409; February 19th, 2014 at 15:48.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Well done. This year's race was shorter by about 24 hours that previous races but nevertheless an exciting one. Hopefully next year it will be possible to have P3D as a flight sim for the race and then I will be an active participant.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Sounds like it was good fun.

Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Well done. This year's race was shorter by about 24 hours that previous races but nevertheless an exciting one. Hopefully next year it will be possible to have P3D as a flight sim for the race and then I will be an active participant.
    Yep, it was shorter, but only because we used faster aircraft (P-51 Mustang "H" model, F8F Bearcat, F7F Tigercat, DH Hornet, Avanti, CitationX, 727, 737, Spitfire and so on). There was a suggestion to use a Chopper on a short flight from Samedan to Innsbruck (74nm) but by then we'd been hit with the 2hr penalty and time was of the essence. Great Race. . .unfortunate ending.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Considering the problems with ver2.1, it's a good thing it wasn't usable for this years Race, as I wouldn't have been able to trust it on a 2 hour flight. Having a wingman on every flight ensured that at least one would land to pass the baton, but having an OOM or Fatal Error hit you on final approach or before the Duenna validated the flight would have been maddening. If LM gets it's act together and gets these problems fixed and something can be worked out regarding the Duenna and Real World weather, then I'll be all for having it used in the next Race. If not, then it'll be FSX again next year for me (If I participate).

Members who have read this thread: 31