Mysterious car...

Thread: Mysterious car...

Mysterious car...

Hey guys,

The other day when i was walking my dog a car came driving up my street which may well have been the most expensive car ever to be seen here around my neck of the woods. It was early evening, already quite dark so i couldn't make much out of it just that it was very low and quite wide, may have had four doors but not sure about that, front lights (illuminated) that have this bending row of 'christmas lighting' along the edges ( like f.i. Audi ), and a triangular logo at the front just above the grill. Much like that of a Ferrari, only these are square at the front and triangular on the sides. I couldn't make out anything like a rearing horse image neither.

And Ferrari doesn't have a road car with four doors in the first place, right ?

Although i think it was black, no Maserati Quattroporte neither, nore anything like Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Bently, Porsche, Audi, BMW or anything else 'supercar'ish' that i know of.

I just stood there with my jaw on the floor and would love to know what exactly it was, just out of curiosity.

Anyone here that may have an idea ??...... ( really not sure about 4 doors !.... )

Thanks mucho !

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Maybe this one?:

http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...408033156.jpeg Very low and wide!

Or perhaps this one?: http://jacobfoxx.com/wp-content/uplo...la-model-s.jpg Like this one myself, very nice looking car!

No four-door Ferrari's, but they do now have a shooting-break model: http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-cont...i-FF-blog2.jpg

Maybe a Porsche Panamera, though these are more common: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...3%BClfrath.jpg

Since all Aston Martins of the last 20 years looks almost identical I assume you would've recognised the Rapide: http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/cro...--3_600x0w.jpg
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I think for 99% sure you have solved my mystery car problem, Ferry. Thanks so much !!

Never been much of a Porsche fan. Somehow i never cared much for the front end of the 911. I honestly didn't even know Porsche has a four door saloon model like Panamera. That's probabely why i couldn't recognise it. But i'd say the triangular logo and the four doors give it away. That's it !!

Also the fact that i didn't notice a destinctive grill, like f.i. that of an Aston Martin, Jaguar or Bentley makes me think that it actually was a Panamera now that i see the photo of it you posted here. The front lights config ( and surely the backlights as well ! ) also seem to fit the bill.

Quite expensive too, isn't it. And actually quite beautiful.

Yes, i know about the Fisker (Top Gear), amazing car ! And you're absolutely right about that Tesla, absolutely gorgeous ! And yes, if there's one car i could recognise out of a thousand it would be an Aston Martin.
    Thanks much again for solving this riddle, Ferry, now i can finally sleep again ! Porsche Panamera, Ohhh Yeahhh!!!

cheers,
    jan

Somewhat surprised you didn't recognize the Panamera Jan, as it is the most common car of the ones I posted! I still don't think it is a good-looking car, but it sure does look impressive.

I've seen quite a few Tesla's round here, and I'm still impressed by the design. The Fisker is a rare sight in my neighbourhood, I think I've seen only one or two 'in the wild'. And speaking of electric cars: I spotted the first BMW i3 last weekend. Interesting non-typical BMW design, and much bigger than it looked in photos.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

i would like to have this Mercedes G63.....not a sports car,which i think are a waist of the material used.90% of the guys who buy expensive sports cars dont know how to drive them..plus ,atleast in the USA,with the max 65 miles per hour speed limit.......(im law abiding on the street,,pulled to many dead and mangled bodies from wrecks cars)

anyway...i wished i could have one of these..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mercedes-benz-6x6-sand.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	4433

Dave, I would love to have a car like that, but it just isn't practical here. Too many roundabouts, parking spaces too small and fuel prices way too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Somewhat surprised you didn't recognize the Panamera Jan, as it is the most common car of the ones I posted! I still don't think it is a good-looking car, but it sure does look impressive.
    Maybe if it would've been during the day i might well have recognized that it was a Porsche but i actually didn't know anything about a Panamera ( i would've probabely called it a Panorama... ) While driving on the highway that crosses my village i've seen a Ferrari 288 a couple times, Maserati Quattroporte,Bentley Continental (love that !) and i often see a Jaguar XJ 3.0 parked a few blocks away (wow!) but that's about it re expensive cars.

May sound funny to you but the one and only car that always has been and forever will be making my heart really thump when i see one is the MG-TD ( or TC ). And if it's a white (cream) one with red upholstery and grille i may not survive....

Lots of very pretty modern cars around to feast ones eyes in these days but to me the MG-TD will always remain the prettiest. And of course i bought one, in my younger days, but the fun only lasted a year or two. The crankshaft gave up and i didn't have the money for repair. Broke my heart but had to sell it. To the owner of the Soundpush studio in Blaricum who had his eyes on it from the day on that i arrived in it there. He was also owner of the Sony racing team so it took no time for him to have a new engine installed. My beloved MG became a movie star in the TV childern series 'Q en Q'. Deceased actor Bob de Lange played grandpa Quarles van Ispen and drove the car. I'm sure that, after the shooting was done, a new gearbox needed to be fitted... He surely didn't know anything about double clutching... Here's a piccie during shooting :

It's that long ago now that i can look at this piccie without losing my marbles.

cheers,
    jan

That's a great story and photo Jan!

Members who have read this thread: 20