2014 Rules Questions and Answers

Thread: 2014 Rules Questions and Answers

2014 Rules Questions and Answers

With respect to Section 10 of the Special Rules (Special Aircraft and Team Flights)

Do these three "events" (Cats on a Wire, Cold Wars, and Doing the Continents) constitute the three team flight opportunities in the race, or are these events potentially different events than the team flights? I'm a little confused here. What if we fly the Cats in the Wire event with just a baton carrier and a wingman? As a "special event" does it generate any kind of bonus, or do these events have to be flown as team flight to get any bonus?

EDIT: Ok, so a continental jet leg and a Sabre leg can be "turned into" a team flight, as long as we get enough pilots, and they satisfy all the other requirements of a team flight. Got that. So the Cats in the Wire event is itself the third and final opportunity for a team flight? In which case it wouldn't make any sense to declare "we are now taking off on the approved Cats on a Wire Flight Event", if there was only two participating pilots flying F7F-3s, right?
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Right.

These are three ways to augment a normally selected type of leg and turn it into a Team Flight. The "Cats on the Third Wire" is just a normal leg in a normal race aircraft (probably a F7F or F8F) which can be a Team Flight if desired. (If the team doesn't need another Team Flight opportunity, then there is no need to fly the "Cats" leg at all.)

All three Special Flights are just opportunities to fly Team Flights and all are optional. Presumably teams will choose two of them to get the Team Flight bonuses, using the third to make up for any shortfalls (if any).
    -Mike

Thanks Mike. Just wanted to make sure I understood that one...
    HP Reverb G2

Cats on the Third Wire (A leg of 300-750nm).
    A flight celebrating naval aviation.
    In an otherwise normal racing leg, the baton carrier and wingman fly an eligible F4F Wildcat, F6F Hellcat, F7F Tigercat or F8FBearcat. Participating pilots may fly any race-eligible naval/marine aviation piston powered plane, including the Grumman "Cats" as well as the Vought Corsair, deHavilland Hornet, Hawker Sea Fury, and Supermarine Seafire.(Normal and thoroughbred racers are eligible for participating pilots.)Pilots may also choose another normally race-eligible naval aircraft. To earn the bonus, participating pilots must land within 20 minutes before or after the baton pilot.This baton leg and the Team Flight component are entirely optional.
    Unless I'm blind, I don't see any Seafires on the white list.
    I'm also curious if the JCA MD80's are eligible (IIRC they were sold via flight1)
    I've also found my answer concerning the AS Sabres, if I read the rules right they can ONLY be used as non-baton or wings in a sabre team flight.
    During an optional Sabre Flight, the baton carrier and wingman fly the Section F8 North American F-86 Sabre. Participating pilots fly any realistic North American F- 86 Sabre,...
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Hi MDK,

Quickly...You are correct that there are no Seafires on the White List. If you like, you can fly the Aeroplane Heaven Seafire as a participating pilot in the "Cats" leg. (See the FAQ.) The Jet White List is set. No JCA(?) on that list.

Hope this helps,
    --M
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Hi MDK,

Quickly...You are correct that there are no Seafires on the White List. If you like, you can fly the Aeroplane Heaven Seafire as a participating pilot in the "Cats" leg. (See the FAQ.) The Jet White List is set. No JCA(?) on that list.

Hope this helps,
    --M
    TNX MM. BTW JCA is 'Jet City Aircraft', the LAGO maddogs. The leonardo versions are different.
    http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?1112
    Also, I take it you meant I can use the AH Spit in place of a seafire ?
    Last edited by MaddogK; February 12th, 2014 at 12:24.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Continental Jet legs can only be flown with those jets that appear on the LEFT side of the list in Appendix B or the Special Rules, right?

IOW, A340 or 757 cannot be used on CJ legs, but may be used on wildcard legs?

Or am I in my [normally] confused state [still]?
    HP Reverb G2

SOH-CM-2016
    As I understand it Paul, it's just the left column of the table (the regional twin-jets) for the continental jet legs, but for the wildcard legs it's anything in that table, plus the CitationX (twice only) plus the B2 (once only).
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Confirmed.
    -Mike

Ok, tanks!
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 18