FSX in Windows 8

Thread: FSX in Windows 8

FSX in Windows 8

I am wondering if FSX should run okay in Windows 8 or are there known compatibility issues? I did a fresh install of FSX on my Windows 8 disk to see if I could get FS recorder to work. I did get FS recorder to work, but I keep getting random CTDs when loading both the OEM planes or any aftermarket planes. One time the P-51 racer will work, the next time it CTD. Same thing with the Vertigo Sims F9F or the Virtavia F-111. Is this to be expected with Windows 8? I know I have had issues with other sims and games. The only reason I even setup up a Windows 8 HDD is to run certain software, but I may have to 86 Win 8.

Quote Originally Posted by brettt777 View Post
    I am wondering if FSX should run okay in Windows 8 or are there known compatibility issues? I did a fresh install of FSX on my Windows 8 disk to see if I could get FS recorder to work. I did get FS recorder to work, but I keep getting random CTDs when loading both the OEM planes or any aftermarket planes. One time the P-51 racer will work, the next time it CTD. Same thing with the Vertigo Sims F9F or the Virtavia F-111. Is this to be expected with Windows 8? I know I have had issues with other sims and games. The only reason I even setup up a Windows 8 HDD is to run certain software, but I may have to 86 Win 8.
    I just did the same thing over the past 2 days. The first time I did it, I incorrectly switched from IDE to AHCI disk protocol and had to do everything all over again. I was upgrading from Vista using a WIN 8 upgrade disk. Here is what I did once I did it correctly. (1) Installed WIN 8 (shut down, restarted); (2) Upgraded to WIN 8.1 (shut down, restarted); (3) Loaded FSX, put in product key and ran it (shut down, restarted); (4) Loaded Acceleration, put in product key and ran it (shut down, restarted); (5) At this point all seems to run OK so I've loaded FTX Global Iceland Demo, VRS Superbug and TacPack.

The issue I'm getting is with my graphics card driver (and that may be where your issue is coming from). I am running an AMD 4980 on this rig and the AMD drivers did not seem to load correctly. When I had this problem before, I uninstalled the driver, used the 3D Guru driver cleaner and then re-installed (shutting down and re-starting in between steps). Check your graphics driver, that may be the issue, not FSX.

Consider also suspending any anti-virus program you have running. I've found when installing graphics drivers (and FSX) things run quicker if the anti-virus is OFF. Due to the speed issue I believe there is more going on than that.
    Last edited by rvn817j; February 9th, 2014 at 09:11. Reason: add'l info
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

You will need this file, http://dll2u.com/dll/UIAutomationCore.dll/6668/ , put it in your main FSX folder.
    Do not put it anywhere else or touch any of the Windows 8 versions.
    It helps to install FSUIPC, the free version will do.
    FSX will then run as well under Windows 8 as it does under 7.
    I have been using it ever since it came out.

Did you install FSX in the default location? If so that could be the problem.

But IMHO Win 8.x is a total waste of time and diskspace if you're running it on a desktop PC. I'll wait for 9 and see what gives. Support for Windows 7 will last till 2020, so we're safe for a while...

I've been running FS9 and FSX under Windows 8 for a year now without any major issues.

As mentioned here and elsewhere, the biggest issue people encounter are permissions which is why it is recommended not to install in the default location.

If you want full control of your install, install it in a non-standard folder like C:\Games. Create the folder first and make sure you have full administrative permissions.

And when you perform an install of any kind, make sure you run "As Administrator." Some installers still want to place folders under C:\Program Files or other locations that may still have some minor administrative restrictions in place.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    I run W8.1 64 with FSX Gold and no Issue's. Only issue I have is Prepar3D V1.4 and 2.0 with the X-52 and logitec's extreme3d pro disappearing lol during the flight, but Lockheed is reporting they have the fix in route. FSX is real happy with W8.1 and very fluid and yep take full admin control of anything including FSX in W8.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

All the above - plus: run FSX (and FS9) in 'Windows 7' compatibility mode - just for safety.

Not paranoid in any way.

Dave

Installed FSX Gold on my new built Win 8.1 gaming system last week. Runs fine and with the up-to-date components of the system FSX is fun again. And it loads in a fraction of the time.

Thanks for all the feedback. I fried my Asus laptop's GPU so this means shopping for a new computer asap... Since most, if not all, new computer comes with Win 8.1 these days, it's nice to know FSX works as good as with Win 7 or even better... I miss flying a lot!

SkySim Mirage III in ORBX AU (near Darwin)

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    My only complaint about today's new computer's is that UEFI errrr. PIA to get the Graphics card to install and now my 2nd new HD WD 2TB isn't showing or detecting. My P3D 1.4 and 2.0 and FSX are well behaved on W8.1.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Windows 8 Recovery Images

Did you know that you can create recovery images for Windows 8's recovery tool - which can include all your apps?

Here's how:
    Using Recimg to create a custom system image is simple. Here are the steps:
    To start, bring up an administrator-level command prompt by whatever method you prefer. In Windows 8, the easiest way is to simply press the Windows key + X and then select "Command Prompt (Admin)" from the menu that appears. A standard admin-level command window will open.

At the command prompt, type
    "recimg /createimage {folder path}", where {folder path} is the path/folder name where you want the custom system image stored. For example, you might use C:\RefreshImage as the path and folder name. (If the folder doesn't exist, Recimg will create one.) So the entire command would be:

"recimg /createimage C:\RefreshImage"

Notes:
    • System images can be quite large, typically 15–25GB. Make sure the destination drive has sufficient room.
    • To speed Recimg's processing, create the system image on your fastest hard drive, even if you don't want to keep it there permanently. (System images can be moved after they've been created)

With the command, path, and folder name entered, press Enter. Recimg will go to work in three stages: initializing, creating a snapshot of the current setup, and then writing the image to the specified location. WARNING: This takes a very long time. Go out and have a curry.
    The custom system-image file is always called CustomRefresh.wim.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by vonstroheim View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I fried my Asus laptop's GPU so this means shopping for a new computer asap... Since most, if not all, new computer comes with Win 8.1 these days, it's nice to know FSX works as good as with Win 7 or even better... I miss flying a lot!

SkySim Mirage III in ORBX AU (near Darwin)
    If I may ask, what Asus laptop do you have with what GPU? I have had overheating issues with my GPU in the past but I have found that as long as I blow the dust and crud out of the cooling fan exhaust ports out the back of the machine once in a while then heat is no longer a problem. I have an older G73jh series with the Radeon HD 5870. The 5870 seems to run anything I want with relative ease; the bottleneck is with the 1.6ghz CPU. Running a CPU intensive application like FSX can really bog it down.

Hey thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. I will certainly give these things a try at some point but for now I have just done a fresh FSX install on my Win 7U disk and so far everything including FS recorder seems to work fine.

Only issue I've had is disappearing controllers sometimes. I upgraded to 8.1 and would get a CTD every time I clicked "Fly Now". Changed it to DX-10 preview and it worked fine except a lot of planes were now incompatible. I refreshed the system and went back to Windoze 8. I'm a happy aviator again.

If I may ask, what Asus laptop do you have with what GPU?
    It's an old G51J with Nvidia GTX260M with 15" monitor. Yes the i7 CPU is quite slow (1.6Ghz), and FSX struggles a lot, but the 260M was quite good back then.

I think my GPU is ok now. I went to a MicroBytes nearby and it seems my GPU suffered a "floating" issue. Because of overheating, even if you clean you fan regularly (like I did), the thermal paste degrades, the GPU chip floats somewhat and is not properly connected to the GPU board. The cure: remove back cover, heat sink and fan, remove old cooked thermal paste, clean carefully with special solvent, use a hair dryer to apply more heat, not too long (85 C is enough), push back gently the Nvidia chip so it gets firmly attached back on the GPU board. Then apply new thermal paste, put back heat sink and fan, et voilà. But don't try this by yourself! You're supposed to do this once a year. Laptops overheat more easily than towers. The guy at MicroBytes was extremely helpful and nice, did all this in front of me, and charged only $35. Was so impress I forgot to tip him... If you are in the Montreal area, pay them a visit (rue St Denis).

But I'm seriously considering changing the G51J for one of the new Asus G750 series, with dual fans, SSD, Nvidia 770M/780M, etc, and Windows 8.1... hence my previous post...

Members who have read this thread: 53