FSX Ground Texture Problem

Thread: FSX Ground Texture Problem

FSX Ground Texture Problem

So since about a month ago I've been having this issue with FSX. My ground textures load very slow. They don't load until I'm right over the area. Random trees keep appearing up. The ground about 5 miles in front of me is completely barren. I have no clue what to do. It's not my add ons because I've tried it all. Have done a re install and it's still the same. I have no clue what to do. It drops my Frames about 20 fps! Anyone know about this? Thanks.

PC Specs

-AMD 8320 8 Core CPU @ 4.0 GHz
    -MSI 7870
    -8 gigs of 1600 MHz RAM
    -GIGABYTE motherboard

Add Ons

-FSDT O'Hare
    -Aerosoft Hamburg
    -PMDG 737 & 747-400/800
    -CS 777-200/300 & 767
    -REX 4
    -FS Recorder
    -My Traffic 2013
    -Freeware Sceneries & Planes

Is there a simple answer?

+1...I'd be interested to hear if there is a simple fix for this issue. Have you tried Bojote's Tweaks? Here is a link http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html. Watch out for the "quick sand"...back up your fsx.cfg file, don't make too many tweaks at one time, and, did I say, back up your files.

Keep us informed on your progress.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

You don't mention what your graphics card is. To be honest, that's how my ground textures are all the time, lol. It's just normal for mine and I don't think much about it. You also mention that it drops your framerates 20fps. . .so what were they beforehand? Mine average 20fps tops.

It's not the cfg file that's doing it. I've tried an entire reinstall of fsx. Also I did state my graphics card it's an MSI 7870. Thanks for your replies! Also I had 50 fps before this. It never happened in the past. This issue only started about a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    You don't mention what your graphics card is. To be honest, that's how my ground textures are all the time, lol. It's just normal for mine and I don't think much about it. You also mention that it drops your framerates 20fps. . .so what were they beforehand? Mine average 20fps tops.
    Falcon...lol..that's the way I should have answered. I'd love to get a consistent 30 fps with all my planes, but never have with the likes of the PC-21 or VRS F-18. Some planes get better results than others on my system(s). The original poster did say he was running an MSI 7870 graphics card. A pretty good card that should be able to run decent FPS.

I have all AMD chips (overclocked 980BE and two (2) Vischera 8350s). Everyone believes that the Intel chips run FSX better (and any single threaded apps). Maybe the solution is a new rig...ugh! I'll keep messing with what I got until I get it right.

I just changed the two 8350s to AHCI disk protocol yesterday. I think I got about 1 or 2 extra FPS. I think switching to faster disk drives (SSDs) will yield some improvement in FPS. (My windows experience number is low due to my disk drives and I think that impacts FPS to some degree.)

If you have $$ to throw at the problem the solution is an i7, but that ain't me.
    Jay
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Do you guys think it could be hardware related. With the PMDG 737 it causes my sim to freeze sometimes when I first load it. In fact when looking at my error log it cause my card to full on fail and freezes the entire PC. My only option when this happens is to do the worst thing ever; shut it down by holding the power button. Is this going to pose issues and is my option a new card?

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator22 View Post
    Do you guys think it could be hardware related. With the PMDG 737 it causes my sim to freeze sometimes when I first load it. In fact when looking at my error log it cause my card to full on fail and freezes the entire PC. My only option when this happens is to do the worst thing ever; shut it down by holding the power button. Is this going to pose issues and is my option a new card?
    I just answered another post, in part, with this: "The issue I'm getting is with my graphics card driver (and that may be where your issue is coming from). I am running an AMD 4980 on this rig and the AMD drivers did not seem to load correctly. When I had this problem before, I uninstalled the driver, used the 3D Guru driver cleaner and then re-installed (shutting down and re-starting in between steps). Check your graphics driver, that may be the issue, not FSX.

Consider also suspending any anti-virus program you have running. I've found when installing graphics drivers (and FSX) things run quicker if the anti-virus is OFF. Due to the speed issue I believe there is more going on than that."

I would think about your graphics driver before replacing hardware. Uninstall all graphics driver related programs and re-install before you think about new hardware.
    Jay

I tried to uninstall the driver but never while suspending my anti virus. I have Microsoft Security Essencials. I have to be on 13.4 from amd because the newer software isn't comparable with fsx, it causes it to crash all the time. Is my card possibly damaged? I'm not sure what else to do but a full windows reinstall...

Members who have read this thread: 27