Swiss Air Force Scenery and Scenario Ideas please........

Thread: Swiss Air Force Scenery and Scenario Ideas please........

Swiss Air Force Scenery and Scenario Ideas please........

Hello,

I'm currently putting together a simulator for the Classic Air Force, a Charity based organisation that is dedicated to the preservation, restoration and flying of British built aeroplanes of the 1950s and 60s. Besides operating the oldest British built jet aeroplane the Meteor (T7 and NF11), we also have two JPs, Vampire T.11s, a Canberra and a few Venoms.

The simulator's role is to try and educate our visitors. They have a look around the collection (including a VC10 and BAC1-11), maybe go for a flight in one of our two Rapides, Chipmunk, Prentice or Proctor and then have a go and see what its like to fly the real thing. The more young people that gain an interest in aviation the better and we want something to give them a worthwhile experience. We have had wonderful assistance already from so many people - including Rob Richardson, Dave Garwood and Rick Piper in kindly letting us use their models and also have Chillblast with the PC and Saitek in supplying the controls.

We have scenarios created for most of the aeroplanes now (lasting up to 10 minutes or so each), but as we have a static Venom FB50 cockpit outside the simulator room, we would like to create something a little different for that. Using Rob's FB50 model and currently being repainted by Matt Wynn, does anyone have any suggestions as to any wintry Swiss locations that this could be flown into or out of? An approach through a mountain pass would be idea, as we already have the RAF Venom doing a 30 mile final in British skies. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Martin
    www.classicairforce.com

Get some freeware mesh that covers the Alps then strap on your FSX Vampire and start a flight at Sion. Fly up the Rhone valley and do some touch and goes at Raron, Turliman, Ulrichen - then do some circuits around Ambri. That should get you conditioned and in the mood! My favourite area is to fly between Meiringen (LSMM) across the lake and then through the valleys to land at St Stephan (LSTS) - the latter is hidden and set deep in a valley but IRL still is used for summer air shows with the Hunter Group. I also have set up FS Hunters, Mirages and Vampires as AI flying in and out of LSTS. Bliss.

See photos on this SOH thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ight=hunter%2A
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I believe that Frank Dainese (the guru of mountain sceneries) has recently developed a significant piece of the Swiss Alps...

http://scenarialpinifsx.blogspot.de/

Hi,
    For the sceneries, you are welcome on my website, I think it's a good way to start: http://www.aerosim.ch

Charter Member 2015
    For the best visuals, imo, I'd suggest Swiss Pro X and Sion X sceneries...ala the following vid (only image the Mirage a/c being Venoms!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niny7j2yNb8
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Get some freeware mesh that covers the Alps then strap on your FSX Vampire and start a flight at Sion. Fly up the Rhone valley and do some touch and goes at Raron, Turliman, Ulrichen - then do some circuits around Ambri. That should get you conditioned and in the mood! My favourite area is to fly between Meiringen (LSMM) across the lake and then through the valleys to land at St Stephan (LSTS) - the latter is hidden and set deep in a valley but IRL still is used for summer air shows with the Hunter Group. I also have set up FS Hunters, Mirages and Vampires as AI flying in and out of LSTS. Bliss.

See photos on this SOH thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ight=hunter%2A
    Th Airport is called Turtmann (LSMJ) and is actually closed.

Please find a few historical fields here

Turtmann
    N4618 E00743, 2060', LSMJ
    Usage during the Cold War: Operation base for Squadron 1 (F-5) and Squadron 21 (Hunter)
    Current usage: Closed
    Runways: 08/26: 2000 m x 40 m Asphalt; (1990)

Raron
    N4618 E00749, 2090', LSMN, LSTA
    Usage during the Cold War: Sq 5 (Hunter); Sq 9 (Hunter); Sq 1 (Alouette) (1990)
    Current usage: General aviation
    Runways: 10/28: 2300 m x 40 m Asphalt; (1990)

Ulrichen
    N4630 E00818, 4422', LSMC
    Usage during the Cold War: Operation base for Squadron 2 (Hunter) and Detachment of Squadron 22 (Hunter) (1990)
    Current usage: Closed
    Runways: 05/23: 2100 m x 40 m Asphalt; (1990)

Interlaken
    N4640 E00752, 1893', LSMI
    Usage during the Cold War: Operation base for Squadron 7 (Hunter); Hunter maintenance (1990)
    Current usage: Closed.
    Runways: 05/23: 1981 m x 40 m Asphalt; (1990)

Ambri
    N4630 E00841, LSPM (2000)
    Usage during the Cold War: Operation base for Squadron 3 (Hunter)
    Current usage: General aviation
    Runways: 11/29: 1990 m x 40 m Asphalt; (1990)

Best regards
    Martin

Many many thanks to everyone for their kind suggestions and comments. At least have given me an excuse to explore a country that I don't think I've virtually flown over here. Still have a few weeks before should everything up and running, so plenty of time to come up with something suitable for the Venom. Will let you know how things progress.

Thank you,

Martin

Members who have read this thread: 48