Going down under

Thread: Going down under

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Going down under

Always wanted to go to Australia and now we are. Have a dog sitting job sept to oct in Berdigo, Victoria. Anyone know the area and is there any good aviation sites in the area?

Bob

Hi, don't know much about the Bendigo area (I'm in Sydney) In Melbourne, the capital of Victoria (would be a couple of hours drive from Bendigo) there is a small museum at Moorabin Airport and also Point Cook RAAF base (a little South-West of Melbourne CBD) has a museum too, with a single aircraft flying display (the aircraft varies) two or three days a week. Point Cook also will host a weekend airshow on March 1st and 2nd this year - The Centenary of (Australian) Military Aviation. Sorry, best I can do.

Ooops - just noticed you wrote Sep - Oct . tried to edit prevous post but was unable.

Yeah...while in Melbourne, check out Hyland Books (awesome military and aircraft books), and if you like Indian food, eat at Funky Curry-- inexpensive, but great! Both places are in Melbourne CBD.

Kent

When in doubt, ask the 'Net

http://www.bendigotourism.com/
    http://www.grubby-fingers-aircraft-i...r_museums.html

Bendigo is about 100 miles north of Melbourne, about 110 from Point Cook, mostly on freeway. If you prefer not to drive, there is a fast train service to Melbourne, and there is a daily shuttle bus from Melbourne to Point Cook.

MikeW

Oh, emfrat, that list of museums had the Puckapunyal RAAC Tank Museum - I have not seem that for over 20 years. Drove past on the highway to Melbourne about a year ago but had no time to stop. They had (have?) a fully restored T-34 there and many other interesting pieces too.

Members who have read this thread: 22