winzip

Thread: winzip

winzip

Does anyone know how to get windows to give you the option of extracting zip files?I'am running Windows 7 64 bit and all of a sudden Windows won't give me the option of extracting zip files.It always did up until about an hour ago when I left click on the file the dropdown menu doesn't include "extract here" which I always did before.There are ways around it but it was so much simpler to just extract to an empty folder and go from there.

I use WinRAR instead of the default utility, many more options.

7zip is another option.

What happens if you right-click on the zip file?

cheers,
    Lane

Right clicking opens the winzip program which makes it harder (at least for me) to install into FS9.I just tried a reboot and that at least for now, fixed the problem.It seems that after so many files windows gets tired of extracting.I have a long way to go in rebuilding FS9, it's a really large install, and things go much faster just extracting the files to an empty folder.Thankyou for the reply I must try one of the programs you mentioned

Sounds like your default Windows Extraction Utility is corrupted. That default utility always worked for me, but I use a product called "PowerZip" from Trident Software. It is by far the best zip file extraction tool I have ever used.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Question - are you talking about the actual third party WinZip software, or the default utility built into Windows Explorer? In WinZip, the default view (at least in mine) is to see a list of all files with no folder structure. This can definitely make it tough to pull anything out in any organized manner. There are two ways to get around this. The long way is to click the Window tab, then select "Explorer" in the top left, restoring the familiar folder structure. The short way is to right-click the archive, then select WinZip > Extract to drive\path\folder.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	option2.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	2968

Also, if your zips are opening with WinZip by default, you can set them to open with the default utility to make handling them easier. Right click the zip file, chose Open with > Choose default program... and select Windows Explorer, and make sure that the "Always use the selected program..." box is checked. This will let you seamlessly navigate in and out of zip archives just like any other folder.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	changedefault.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	2969
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thanks Tom

I have the trial version of Winzip installed but I think Winzip was the default when I got Windows 7.I't's been so long I can't really remember if I had to install the Winzip program or what.Since it has never said anything about the trial version expireing I'am thinking it must have came as default on 7.After I rebooted, the drop down menu reverted back to give me the" extract here "option. As I said in my last post it seems that after so many times useing Winzip it doesn't give me that option(of extracting here),then if I reboot it again gives the extract here option(at least so far).

The "Extract to here" context menu option is really the only thing I use it for too. If I need to open one, I have the default handler set to Windows Explorer. I guess I've never tried to use it enough times in a row for the nag-ware feature to kick in. There should also be an "Extract all..." option in the first right-click menu. This is the default MS decompression function and works as a wizard. It does roughly the same thing as "Extract to here," but it's just a little more cumbersome.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I never really knew what extracting to Windows Explorier did, but now I see I can do that next time it won't give me the option of "extracting to here'.I'am on cd# 39 out of 91 so I have a ways to go and after a while Windows says, " enough already!"

Members who have read this thread: 35