cfg. files to txt. files

Thread: cfg. files to txt. files

cfg. files to txt. files

While trying to replace the cfg file in Kazunori Eto's Vickers Wellesley-MkI with an updated file which I had on cd ,I found the cfg file had been replaced with a txt. file and wouldn't work.This was not a big deal with this plane but I know there are several which need updated cfg files and if there are any other files that this has happened to I would like to know how to convert them back to cfg. files.

Left-click once on the file name to get into editing mode and change '.txt' to '.cfg' and hit 'Enter'.

A 'config' file is just a simple text file with a different extension.
    Larry

Thanks but...

I tried doing as you said but all it did was open the file,I couldn't see how to change it.

Try right-clicking on the file and selecting 'Rename'. Then change .txt to .cfg. You will probably get some warning about the file not working if you change the extension, but you need to allow that to actually get it to work!

Hope this helps.

Myles

Another way:

1. Select the file by clicking on it once (single click)
    2. Right Click the selected file.
    3. On the menu that appears, select Rename.
    4. Change the ".txt" part to ".cfg".

EDIT: What myles said
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

still doesn't work

Nope, when I rename the file to cfg it doen't really rename it because when I mouse over it ,it's still a txt. file.All the other cfg files look like notepads, this file looks like a page.When I open it it says notepad but it doesn't look like the others when closed.

The actual file type extension is hidden by default. Go to Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab, and uncheck the box for "Hide extensions for known file types." This will enable you to change the actual extension. You will probably be presented with a confirmation saying that the action may make the file unusable - just click through that.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Already unchecked

Thankyou Tom but one of the first things I did being a flight simmer is uncheck that box, I don't understand whats going on but this doesn't seem like the type of file you can change.Why it turned into a txt file is beyound me.Only thing I can do if I run into this again is ask you guys if anyone has an updated cfg file or direct me to someware that I can get one or a whole new updated plane.

The easy way

The quickest way to do this is:

1. Copy in an aircraft.cfg from somewhere else.
    2. Open the existing '.txt' file in Notepad.
    3. Open the new aircraft.cfg in Notepad.
    4. Delete the contents of the new file, and replace with the contents of the old one.
    5. Save.

That'll do the job.

Dave

Another way is to use the "Save as..." option in Notepad. In the File Name box, enter aircraft.cfg, and then right below that, use the dropdown menu to select All Files (*.*).
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Why didn't I think of that?

Couldn't get Toms method to work but dhazelgrove's worked! Hope this will help others. Thankyou guys

Members who have read this thread: 17