Alabeo R-66

Thread: Alabeo R-66

Alabeo R-66

I bought the Alabeo R-66 Helicopter a few days ago and have trouble with starting it.
    The starter switch only works about 10% of the time, same with Control + E.
    When I land it, the engine usually shuts down.
    I contacted Alabeo about this and their response was that I was the first to have these problems, they wanted to know if I was using Acelleration, which I am using.

Anyone had problems with starting the R-66? Or is it that there is something I'm not doing right?
    Thanks for any response. By the way, you don't realize how good ORBX's scenery and airports are until you use a helicopter.

Blog Entries
    This model uses the EH101 FDE, no custom start systems, etc. I use Ctrl+E to get it started.

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Thanks for the reply.
    It does start with the starter button sometimes, but most of the time the button does nothing.
    When it won't start with the button, then it will not start using Control + E either.
    The only way to continue flying is to click "esc" and start over.
    Have you been able to start it with the starter button at all ?
    Using Google "Alabeo R-66", there are a couple of reviews on the R-66 from flightsim websites, both mention the problem with the starter button.
    I'm surprised that Alabeo said I am the only one to have the starting problem.

You didn't find anything, because there isn't anything. It's a local problem within your fsx. I suggest re-installing acceleration.

Blog Entries
    I haven't tried starting it with the starter switch. I will investigate to see what comes out on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by adi518 View Post
    You didn't find anything, because there isn't anything. It's a local problem within your fsx. I suggest re-installing acceleration.
    As I stated in my thread above, if you google "Alabeo R-66", in the few reviews of the R-66 from Flightsim and AirdailyX, they also both mention the problem with the starter.

The problem seems to be related to how you land it, if it is landed with the skids lower in the back than the front, then the engine shuts down and will not re-start either by playing with the switch or by using
    control + E.

Alabeo released their staggerwing about a year ago and many people on the forums were mentioning the starter not working, even though when I wrote to them, they replied that they didn't know anything
    about it. They released an update about a month later fixing the starter.

I see..

I didn't run into this problem, however, ctrl+e works just fine for me. Same for engine shutdown (I use ctrl+d for that). Hmm... did you check your fuel?

If this indeed turns out as a global problem, I suggest using a temporary fix which is just reloading the aircraft. There's a function in fsx control mappings, called '(aircraft) reload'. I assigned 'R' to this function and use it whenever it feels like the aircraft needs refreshing.

When I start a flight using the R-66, the engine is running. I can pull up the fuel cut-off and stop the engine. I then put the fuel knob back to "ON".
    I can then start the engine using the starter switch or Control + E. They work as they should.
    The problem is that after I land with the tail a little lower than the front, the engine shuts down and it cannot be started again.

The fact that both reviews of the R-66 both mention the starter switch problem tells me that it's something that alabeo should look into.
    My experience with alabeo is they will only look into something if they get enough comments on a problem.
    Other than the starting problem, it's a very nice download, I'm not really into helicopters, but it's a great way to view the scenery in ORBX and their payware airports.

The problem is that after I land with the tail a little lower than the front, the engine shuts down and it cannot be started again.
    Is that causing some sort of engine damage? It may be worth checking the Failures menu after it happens to see if the engine has failed.

Blog Entries
    Ok, I had no issues with the starter not working as you described. What I did is:

1.) Shutdown helicopter, including avionics and master battery

2.) Turn on battery

3.) Open fuel cutoff (both on floor and panel)

4.) Engage starter and it starts back up

5.) Bring the generator and avionics back online

Try to see if this method works for you

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    Ok, I had no issues with the starter not working as you described. What I did is:

1.) Shutdown helicopter, including avionics and master battery

2.) Turn on battery

3.) Open fuel cutoff (both on floor and panel)

4.) Engage starter and it starts back up

5.) Bring the generator and avionics back online

Try to see if this method works for you
    Thanks for your reply.
    I shut down everything as you suggested and followed your start up method.
    It starts as it should.
    I did a short flight and as before, the engine shuts down on it's own as soon as I land.
    Following the procedure as before I took off, it will not start, either with the start button or using Control + E.
    It has something to do with landing, even a very soft flat landing, it shuts down and will not re-start.
    I think I will un-install it and then re-install it to see if I still have the same problem.

Try purging your default flight. Delete the flight completely from the directory. Then, allow fsx to detect no default flight and generate a new one. Once it does, save your default flight at an airport of your choice with the default fsx Cessna 172.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

interesting thread .... I too had the startup issues ... I have several Alabeo products, which I love ... I have found if I load up a flight with any Alabeo Bird, as I have most of them, and then switch to the R-66 everything works properly , weird but it works for me ... Mike

I un-installed the R-66 and then downloaded another copy from Alabeo, installed it, and had the same problem.

I then reset the default flight with the default C-172, had the same problem. Thanks 000rick000

I then set up a flight with the Alabeo staggerwing and then switched to the R-66, I was able to land 6 times without the engine shutting down.

Thanks Flyboy208, Glad to hear that I wasn't the only one having a problem with this. The fact that you have to load another alabeo plane and then switch to the R-66 to make it work tells me there is a problem with it.

Very peculiar indeed. I have the stagger wing, extra 300s and Pitts, and don't experience any issues with these...is it only the R-66? Must be....very strange...glad you got it sorted!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Also , I must add ... I don't have Acceleration, only FSX SP2, that may help ... Mike

It was only the R-66 that wasn't working correctly.

Flyboy208....It's strange that it works for you. When I contacted Alabeo, the only thing they said was "Make sure you have acceleration, it won't work right without it".

Alabeo makes some of the best looking planes for sale, wish they would spend a little more time in beta testing to get the bugs out before releasing them.

Not a big deal, but if I remember correctly, I think in the R-66, fuel is spelled fuell on the center panel. Trying to release 3 or 4 planes a year, I think they are rushing things too fast.
    Thanks for your help.

I haven't flown the R-66 in a couple weeks but I don't remember any problems starting it. I flew the Staggerwing last night. I did have some problems with it. I found if I toggle the starter very fast eight or ten times, it would start. I have seen that on other aircraft, don't remember which. One thought about not being able to restart: what was the field elevation? I have seen piston aircraft if mixture is full rich that have problems with the engine dying or not starting at higher elevations.

Glenn

glennc; All my flying is in Orbx's PNW area or Alaska....Almost all of the airports I use are within a couple hundred ft. of sea level.

As for the Staggerwing, if you go to the Alabeo website, look at "UPDATES", there is a fix for the starter.

Second time I'll use the term in ten minutes: Bravo Zulu, thanks. I'll check my update status.

Glenn

Members who have read this thread: 65