RTWR 2014 Practice #1 "See The USA"
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RTWR 2014 Practice #1 "See The USA"

Icon21 RTWR 2014 Practice #1 "See The USA"

Time to shake off the rust.

This is an open practice for any current or former team members and especially rookies and newbies - you are welcome!

It is a good chance for everyone to make sure his or her FS setup is running smoothly and to iron out any Duenna problems.

Standard RTWR rules apply. More info here: http://www.fsrtwrace.com/about.php

TS3 Server: http://www.sim-outhouse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40

FS Host Server Port 23456: http://www.sim-outhouse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8

Practice #1 Notes:

-Start and end airport is KSMF Sacramento, CA.

-No traffic into the Polar Vortex (tm) meaning, NO landings in Canada. All stops must be within Continental USA.

-Standard race leg this practice must be at least 300nm but less than 500nm max length. There is no time limit. Please, no motorgliders.

-Subsonic jets are allowed on five legs. These can be either civil or military.

-Pilots may fly consecutive legs if the baton has been idle for at least one hour (based on post time).

-Objective is basic flying, correct posting procedure, baton transfers etc. All the usual stuff.

-You control your own routing within the required airports. Be careful not to paint yourself into a corner with a less than 300nm leg into a required stop.

Routing:

The practice will run in a clockwise direction starting at KSMF, Sacramento, CA. The race must run through the below airports.

Required airports:
    KSMF Sacramento, CA (Start/finish)
    KBLI Bellingham, WA
    KINL International Falls, MN
    KPWM Portland, ME
    KORL Orlando, FL
    KASE Aspen, CO
    KSDM San Diego, CA
    and back to...
    KSMF

Graphic overview of required airports-

Reminder- No stops in Canada.

Duenna setting is "soh 2014 practice 1"

*Practice can begin anytime. If you are ready, jump in and go and post in this thread.

Let's have some fun. For any new pilots, please feel free to ask any questions. No question is a dumb one!

Good luck and blue skies.

I have the baton from KSMF to KVNY in the Hawker Sea Fury

EDIT: Duenna is not allowing me to Pick Event for some reason and online Tracking is not working. Any thoughts on this? En Route to Van Nuys :-)

EDIT2: Restarting flight to get my clock running in the correct direction. LOL
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Not sure why you can't select the event Milton. Will have to check that.

I see it on the duenna site:
    http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowEve...wbDBczL9U0TrjM

Assuming you have the tracking box ticked off in the settings?

Also, the routing should have you pointed north towards KBLI...

"The practice will run in a clockwise direction starting at KSMF"

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Not sure why you can't select the event Milton. Will have to check that.

I see it on the duenna site:
    http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowEve...wbDBczL9U0TrjM

Assuming you have the tracking box ticked off in the settings?

"The practice will run in a clockwise direction starting at KSMF"
    My clock runs backwards apparently LOL

Okay, will restart the flight and try correcting the Duenna. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post

Milton is one of those guys... a "racer extraordinaire"... than can run a race in reverse and still be quicker than us ordinary mortals.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    My clock runs backwards apparently LOL
    Aha... I now see it was due to going in the direction of the "polar vortex".

Okay, got those changes all done and tested; seems to be working.

I have the baton KSMF to S21 heading north.

EDIT: sure happy this is practice; accidentally hit reset flight :-)

Will take off again :-/ LOL
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I see you enroute on the tracking page now. All good.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ListFli...ail=last&value=

Okay, got those changes all done and tested; seems to be working.

I have the baton KSMF to S21 heading north.

EDIT: sure happy this is practice; accidentally hit reset flight :-)

Will take off again :-/ LOL
    Man, what a comedy of errors I made on start. Geeze!

I liked south better; had a nice tailwind. North is bucking those icy winds from the Polar Vortex. :-)

EDIT2: I selected S21 small airport to keep close to 300, allowing the next stop to be a required airport and get you just over 300nm if you watch your miles; will be close. The reason online tracking does not show S21 is because after I accidentally reset my flight, I forgot then to redo the flight plan :-/ LOL
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

15 min ETA

Not on MP now, and is there a TS channel we should be on? See nothing I can join w/o password.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Down and safe at s21

Will post dtls
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

....is there a TS channel we should be on? See nothing I can join w/o password.
    Just use one of the channels near the top Milton (prop heads, liar's lounge, WWII etc.) as the race channels are protected until race time for security reasons.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Just use one of the channels near the top Milton (prop heads, liar's lounge, WWII etc.) as the race channels are protected until race time for security reasons.
    Thanks Larry; will do. I had lots of problems with rust and corrosion getting my brain to work this morning but finally got things functional albeit clunky. TS and MP never entered my mind until well into my third try. :-/
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I have the Baton; S21 to KBLI. flying F7F. This is a few miles short of the 300 mile rule. (298 miles)

Jim

No worries Jim on the distance. The thought was for Milton or whoever took the first leg to fly just a hair shorter or a bit less direct to make it work. (I probably tried to be too fine there). I blame the polar vortex...

Leveled off at 20,000, heavy cloud cover, but so far above it. ETE: 42 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    I have the Baton; S21 to KBLI. flying F7F. This is a few miles short of the 300 mile rule. (298 miles)

Jim
    Direct distance may be a couple miles short but a little zig-zag will give you the extra miles. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

100 miles out, ETE19 mins. Headwind 290/59 kts.

Direct distance may be a couple miles short but a little zig-zag will give you the extra miles. :-)
    Ahhh but, remember the rules when leg distance comes into play! It has to be the straight line distance as reported by the in-built flight planner in FS9 or FSX.

Start the flight planner, enter start ICAO, enter destination ICAO, click on the 'Find Route' button then click on the 'NavLog' button and check the distance at the top of the page.

For reference FS9 gives me 298.6 nm, FSX gives me 298.2 nm. The small difference between the two sims is due to the slightly different locations of the airport reference points between FS9 and FSX. In some cases this can be as much as a couple of nautical miles so it's always worth checking on borderline distances.

In the race this would be an invalid leg but Moses has ruled it good, watch for things like this on the rest of the legs so we don't make the same error twice.
    Larry

Baton back to KBLI. darn computer locked up 40miles out.

Ahhh but, remember the rules when leg distance comes into play! It has to be the straight line distance as reported by the in-built flight planner in FS9 or FSX.

Start the flight planner, enter start ICAO, enter destination ICAO, click on the 'Find Route' button then click on the 'NavLog' button and check the distance at the top of the page.

For reference FS9 gives me 298.6 nm, FSX gives me 298.2 nm. The small difference between the two sims is due to the slightly different locations of the airport reference points between FS9 and FSX. In some cases this can be as much as a couple of nautical miles so it's always worth checking on borderline distances.

In the race this would be an invalid leg but Moses has ruled it good, watch for things like this on the rest of the legs so we don't make the same error twice.
    Thanks for that explanation; was unaware.
    When I was looking for a halfway point, I came up with the closest I could get to 300 (within reasonable distance of teh straight line) and it left a balance of 302 I think. Thought it was good. Apologies.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    Baton back to KBLI. darn computer locked up 40miles out.
    Hope you can find the cause Taco; would be helpful
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

My bad, oops Baton back to S21

Someone needs to jump in here for S21 to KBLI.

KBLI wx right now is foggy, 1 nm visibility but you have landing aids with a glideslope.

EDIT: Meanwhile, I'm going to do a test flight to practice if I can't be a wing man
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

KBLI wx right now is foggy, 1 nm visibility but you have landing aids with a glideslope.

If it's that bad it may be worth waiting for the fog to lift, it is only a practice after all.

Although having said that it would be good practice for bad weather approaches.

EDIT: Meanwhile, I'm going to do a test flight to practice if I can't be a wing man
    According to Moses' first post rules:

-Pilots may fly consecutive legs if the baton has been idle for at least one hour (based on post time).
    Larry

If it's that bad it may be worth waiting for the fog to lift, it is only a practice after all.

Although having said that it would be good practice for bad weather approaches.

According to Moses' first post rules:

Nah, that's okay. 15 mins out from KFCA, a good next leg from KBLI. Beautiful flight in the Bearcat with a 50knt tailwind :-) 450K GS.

EDIT: KBLI fog was very thin layer; easy to see approach.

Next leg available is S21 to KBLI; who wants it?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 20