how do I install to another drive?

Thread: how do I install to another drive?

how do I install to another drive?

I have one install of FS9 on my C drive which I call my FS9 General Avation install, I want to make a second FS9 install on my D drive and a third on my E drive ,one for military and one for vintage scenery and planes.Problem is when I put disk one in, the only options are run and uninstall,as it see's my install on the C drive and of course only wants to run the install on my C drive.How do I point it to my D drive?

guess it's not as easy as I thought

After my last post I checked the sticky "tips and tweaks for FS9" and read the post by Obio on how to make multipule installs of FS9.I should have checked that first before asking the question.I guess I thought it only concerned multipe installs on the same drive.From that I can see it's not as easy as I thought ,so maybe I'll just keep the one GA install,sorry for taking up room in the forum.

I tried a second install when I had XP. I ran into difficulty in that both installs had to use the same ApplicationData folder which had the FS9.cfg and other needed files including the flight to start with. I got around that by switching the AppData folder depending on which install I wanted to start. There may be other ways around this but I just didn't care for more than one install in the end and gave up. You are running Windows 7 right? My XP OS died a month ago so I took the plunge to W7 too. At least the old HD was intact so it actually worked out the right way, the old HD became the non-C "Game" drive with FS already on it. I've got most of the bugs worked out with some addon items and so far so good. The AppData folder now sits after Roaming in the new tree and I presume multiple installs would still change things in there. If there was a way to point a certain install to a certain AppData folder things might simplify a bit but that is something I haven't looked into yet. If I do I'll be checking those Obio files too.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

well I gave it a go

I tried to do a second install following OBIO's instructions and ended up uninstalling everything and am starting from scratch and just using my D drive for one big FS9 install.When I tried the copy and paste thing I lost some of my scenery and when trying to reinstall I found it wouldn't install so I just decided to uninstall the works and reinstall to D.
    By staying with one dedicated drive I have lots of room,(it has 690gb of freespace.)I figure if I live to 90 I might get it finished.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Happy holidays hurricane3

Sounds like you have a similar set up to me H3.

Bare with me for the road I took - not very scientific, but it works:

My fs9 was also on 'C'- so every time I attempted to install on D, all the PC wanted to do, was repair or uninstall.

Here's my solution:

1. Temporarily alter or rename EVERY installation you already have on your machine.
    So if it's named; Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, just change something to fool your PC into believing it's not there.
    Just one digit will suffice for this; e.g. oMicrosoft Flight Simulator 2004. that 'o' makes it unrecognisable.

2. Now go to C:/UsersAdministrator/Application Data/Microsoft or wherever your FS9 folder hoding your FS9 cfg is housed, then temporarily change the name of this folder also. e.g.; oFS9. (My only reason for punching in the 'o' instead of any other letter is that I'm quite forgettful and always use o as a way of recognizing an ORIGINAL something or other. LOL.

If you've covered the above steps you can now freely insert disk 1 and you'll then be prompted to make a new install.

I now have 6 installs. To avoid complications with additional copies, I permanently renamed each one. They all run fine as long as the main fs9 folder exists on the PC.

I still can't figure out how to have more than 1 FS9 folder, but having the same cfg for all my sims is not an issue for me.

Hope that helps some - please give me a jolt if you're still not sure somewhere.

Regards,
    Nigel
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

A quick way to do this is to rename your original FS9 install. (root folder, fs9.exe and fs9.cfg) Now install your new fs9.
    Make sure to install the 9.1 patch. Run the sim after this is done. No need to make any settings changes just yet.
    Close the sim down, then go in and rename the new install, (root folder, fs9.exe and fs9.cfg) making sure that each has the
    same name. (also delete new shortcut and then create a new one after rename) Now rename your old fs9 back to original
    (root folder, fs9.exe and fs9.cfg) and your good to go. Now you can go in to new install and set it up as you like.
    I have 2 installs, one is my original install (about 10 years old) the other is GW3 (alittle over a year) and both sims run fine
    using the above method. Also if you have downloaded either GW3 or Silver Wings there is a HTML doc (read-me) that shows/
    tells you how to do the same thing I posted.
    hope this helps.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Thankyou Nigel

Thankyou for your reply Nigel but unfortuately I am now trying to find a solution to a new problem.As you might have read I had to end up deleting my GA install and start over from scratch.I decided that since I have two 690mg hd's with nothing on them(my C drive which is where my FS9 install was on is almost full ,it's 1 terrabyte) to put one big honking fs9 install with everything on a dedicated hd.
    My problem is with FSUIPC ,in that when I installed version 3.999z8 I would get an error message saying that there was already another version of FSUIPC and it would ctd.I checked the modules file before installing FSUIPC and there wasn't anything FSUIPC related there, and on checking after install there was only one fsuipc.dll there, but I still get the error message with a ctd.
    So now I'am gonna reinstall FS9 but use the older version of FSUIPC ,I think it was 3.999z4.
    I'am wondering if I really have to have FSUIPC as I download mainly freeware planes and scenery other than Wings of Power and FS Global 2005.Thanks again Nigel I also wish you the best of this Holiday season.

Thanks Nigel and Joe

Thankyou for your reply Nigel and Joe, but unfortuately I am now trying to find a solution to a new problem.As you might have read I had to end up deleting my GA install and start over from scratch.I decided that since I have two 690mg hd's with nothing on them(my C drive which is where my FS9 install was on is almost full ,it's 1 terrabyte) to put one big honking fs9 install with everything on a dedicated hd.
    My problem is with FSUIPC ,in that when I installed version 3.999z8 I would get an error message saying that there was already another version of FSUIPC and it would ctd.I checked the modules file before installing FSUIPC and there wasn't anything FSUIPC related there, and on checking after install there was only one fsuipc.dll there, but I still get the error message with a ctd.
    So now I'am gonna reinstall FS9 but use the older version of FSUIPC ,I think it was 3.999z4.
    I'am wondering if I really have to have FSUIPC as I download mainly freeware planes and scenery other than Wings of Power and FS Global 2005.Thanks again Nigel and Joe, I also wish you the best of this Holiday season.

I also did what Nigel suggested, renaming the two main folders- Flight Simulator 9 - and up in the AppData folder- FS9 . This will indeed mask their existence and a new install should go properly. Also in reference to your search for FSUIPC stuff (see your other post FSUIPC Problem) at least one starts with just FSUI so might have been missed, my search using FSUI turned up one more file than searching using FSUIPC. I know, Bleeping Computers! Actually a decent place to visit, bleepingcomputers.com.

For searching more like XP, you can try FileSearchEX by Geoff Concepts (http://goffconcepts.com/products/fil...hex/index.html). Click on the download and install a trial version which has an interface more like XP. If you like it it's only $5.00 per "physical residence", whatever that means. There is also a free version of Agent Ransack (http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack), but I haven't looked into it. Both these are stand-alone utilities you can have as desktop icons.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Members who have read this thread: 19