Official KC Flight Shop F4F Wildcat development thread. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Official KC Flight Shop F4F Wildcat development thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon211 View Post
    Oh, I take it back. The Just Flight manual actually does say that it is the "Landing Gear Warning Horn".
    That sounds about right. Modern aircraft have the same thing. I have flown a Cessna 177RG and when your RPM is low and the landing gear is up, the alarm sounds. Its a very simple way of reminding the pilot to put down the landing gear! Its also very annoying since the alarm tends to sound often in normal flight. The 177RG is a very slick bird. When you need to drop altitude, you really need to crank the RPM down or you can overspeed it quickly, and that will trigger the horn.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Kevin, although I'm sure you know, the three-switch panel (and surrounding indicator lights) that is located in that photo, just above the gear horn, is a modern addition and wasn't present on Wildcats originally. The primer color that you see in that photo is correct for the F4F-3 (called dark dull green).

Note, too, that the photo I shared of the other side of that particular F4F-3 cockpit, that the gear handle is facing down - this is because on that particular restoration it has a non-authentic electric gear retract system installed, and thus the crank handle isn't used. On Wildcats with the original crank system employed, the crank will always face forward when the gear is lowered all the way.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Kevin, although I'm sure you know, the three-switch panel (and surrounding indicator lights) that is located in that photo, just above the gear horn, is a modern addition and wasn't present on Wildcats originally. The primer color that you see in that photo is correct for the F4F-3 (called dark dull green).
    Ya. I went over the old thread and saw that posting. The F4F-3 will be painted in the dark dull green, with the later F4F-4 and FM2 (if its done) will be in the chromite green. I love these sort of details! Really brings in the authenticity, and im sure you guys go nutz over it Thank you for the heads up. Every little bit helps!!
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Hey, are you aware of the existence of this site? I was wondering if they had the Wildcat done and it turns out they did.

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/n...TS/F4F-3/F4F-3

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon211 View Post
    Hey, are you aware of the existence of this site? I was wondering if they had the Wildcat done and it turns out they did.

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/n...TS/F4F-3/F4F-3
    Thanks! This will help me out in many ways. It seems that this is a VERY early F4F-3 or a prototype, but still very useful.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Very nice work as usual Kevin.

Looking forward to this one.

Was thinking of picking up one of the JF Wildcat/Martlet, as for some reason, I feel the need to have an example of Grumman's stubby little fighter in FSX!

But I might well wait now until yours is complete.

Are you just doing one variant, or are you planning on doing a few more (F4F-3, Martlets etc)?

I must admit, I would really like to see a high quality FM2 in FSX.

[EDIT]

Just seen post #53!

Cheers

Paul

Thought I'd post this link to a video of the Fighter Collection's FM-2 on on jacks having a gear test.

http://fighter-collection.com/cft/tfc-diary/page/7/

It's in the the second article down.

Another video on YouTube showing a US based FM-2 on jacks having a gear test which might be of use.

Cheers

Paul

And here's another showing it coming down, from a different angle.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the reference contribution! Every little bit helps. The F4F is on hold for a little bit as im working on a pilot training video (for real life pilots). I hope to have some cockpit texture up sometime next week!
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Quote Originally Posted by wallydog View Post
    Any news on the wildcat?
    Yes and no. I have joined the VEAO team, and the Wildcat will be flying in DCS World with full armament! Good news for some, but I understand not everyone liked DCS World. I make the choice for a few reasons, but mainly making this aircraft a team effort will ultimately lead to a better product. If you watch the P-40F promo video, you will see a surprise cameo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxML...ature=youtu.be
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Members who have read this thread: 78