AI question

Thread: AI question

AI question

When flying along with AI aircraft, sometimes the AI will make S turns. This seem to be with any aircraft used as AI, flight plans made with AIFP. I have experienced this on longer, 500 to 1000nm IFR flights. Happens when cruising, the climb is ok. Happens with any weather settings. I have listened to ATC, and they are not being told to change course. Any ideas why the AI do this? Or is this normal FSX AI behavior?

Unless someone uses a pre-canned flight plan route, AI traffic will tend to follow a straight line path until getting into the area of the airport and then they can fly a bit of a traffic circuit. When I worked up AI traffic in my own applications, I used a utility that allowed a certain degree of editing of the route, but I don't recall seeing anything in particular that would command an s-turn. Though, with the degree of expertise in the community, and given how so many excellent people have crafted such add-on work, anything would be possible.

Ken

Seems normal, I've noticed it in FS9 as well for the high flyers on long runs. One slight note about AI, it's generally not a good idea to follow them, sometimes the AI engine gets screwy.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Then this must be normal AI behavior.
    Thanks for the replies.

Members who have read this thread: 19