This Could Be Very Interesting - AnKor's Shaders - Page 14
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617181920212224 ... LastLast

Thread: This Could Be Very Interesting - AnKor's Shaders

Quote Originally Posted by grover1 View Post
    Hi all,

I just reinstalled CFS3 after reformatting my computer today.

When I go to enable SweetFX, the game crashes to desktop immediately before the intro movie would play.

I followed all instructions on page 1 of this thread, but I don't know what's going on.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've managed to get SweetFX to work before.

I don't know if this matters, but I'm using an nVidia GEForce GTX970 video card

THanks,

Chris
    Have you run cfs3config recently?
    How do you have the NoMultisampling option set in d3d8.ini?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    0.95 base opacity should not be showing the terrain like that. Does it go back to normal if you toggle AnKir's shaders off? Is <DisableWaterRender val="y"/> in the ConfigOverrides.xml?

I use the cfs3h20.dds from PTO that looks like the outline of Korea.
    This what I get with Ankor's shader off. <DisableWaterRender val="n"/> in the ConfigOverrides.xml?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot10-16-15-18-21-16.jpg  

Does it happen everywhere or just one particular section of the coast?

Here's what the blue water looks like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot10-17-15-08-02-13.jpg  
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

In the middle of the med towards Sicily

I like your version of the med water color.
    Can you post your selected cfs3h2o.dds?
    Is there another file that I should change?
    How can I reduce the shine?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot10-17-15-12-12-09.jpg  

gosd, it looks like you might be using my new environment mod from a couple years ago; the water textures and shaders.xml are not compatible with Ankor's shaders. Restore your originals and it will look better for you. I am eventually going to get around to creating a new version of my work that is compatible, but for now it's better to uninstall it.

For me, I had to hex edit almost all of the model files to reduce the shine when I moved from XP to Win 7. This has to do with how the Operating Systems interpreted some of the 3d model settings differently requiring the intensity levels to be reduced for Win 7.

You could trying changing the parameters at the top of the models.fx file in the Shaders30 folder first to see if you can get it looking the way you like.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by gosd View Post
    In the middle of the med towards Sicily

I like your version of the med water color.
    Can you post your selected cfs3h2o.dds?
    Is there another file that I should change?
    How can I reduce the shine?
    It turns out that it was the panoramic_cubic_test.dds that needed to be replaced.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...eresting/page4 see post #99.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I'm wondering if there is any way around the shadow being displayed on a model by something that has been alpha'd off the texture sheet? This would be of great help if possible.

I recently noticed an airplane that was overly shiny and seemed immune to the hex editing that I normally use to tone this down. After a good deal of trial and error I rediscovered that AnKor has built in a fix for aircraft that do no have a *_s.dds or *_r.dds file included in the m3d texture references. Adding a 33% gray *_t.+sr.dds file to the texture folder worked to correct the problem.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I emailed Ankor to see how he's been doing. He's been quite busy and hasn't been able to work on the shaders much this year, but he's still interested in the project and hopes to get back to it when he can.

This needs a bump again.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

AnKor sent a couple of us a Beta update to test. He does not have much personal time free to work on this project anymore, so revisions will be few and far between.

- Got rid of shadows (self shadowing and ground shadow) from transparent textures.

- Dynamic reticle now "belongs" to cockpit and doesn't get hidden by frame in Thunderbolt.

- Cockpit light in TextureMagic is correctly configurable.
    Here is an example sprite texture that will be turned into red point light with a range of two meters:
    [CockpitLight] ; Point or Spot|Hex RGB|Range|Atten0|Atten1|Atten2|Theta|Phi
    light_red.dds=Point|ff0000|2.0

* Bump map textures still seems to work incorrectly, but I guess nobody needs them anyway.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

The environment appears much brighter with this version compared to the previous ones.

He didn't mention it in his note, but this version also fixes the grey band at the horizon. This was fixed for WOFF last year, but as far as I know has never been included in any of the CFS3 versions before.

Previous DLLs

Updated DLLs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot09-26-15-15-51-47 before new dll.jpg   Shot01-19-16-22-53-43 after new dll.jpg  
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Looks like you were using an older version. The scenery casts shadows in this one too, try a flight at dawn!

It may not be obvious from these pictures, but both the image of the previous and the latest shaders have shadows being cast from the trees and buildings. The big difference is the noontime summer sun is much brighter shining on the terrain with the DLLs he just sent us to test.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    It may not be obvious from these pictures, but both the image of the previous and the latest shaders have shadows being cast from the trees and buildings. The big difference is the noontime summer sun is much brighter shining on the terrain with the DLLs he just sent us to test.
    That sounds good Majormagee. I have my brightness and contrast cranked up to 100 on my LED monitor. I had not realised that Ankor's package could influence that. I'm looking forward to the new beta.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Just a Bumpimg along..

There are some new features being worked on, check the screenshots thread.

I've been calibrating the default virtualcockpitview FOVscale in the ViewUI xml file to match the default FOV scale for external views in AnKor's d3d8.ini file. I have my External FOV set down to 30 degrees since I have a wide screen display (3840 x 1024), and setting the FOVscale to 0.4 produces an identical target aircraft size (when adjusted for the slight difference in distance between in the cockpit, and looking from behind your aircraft) when you flip from internal to external views.

For the standard external FOV of 60 degrees in d3d8.ini, the FOVscale should be set to 0.8 in ViewUI.xml.

The narrower the angle you use for the external FOV the larger the target aircraft will appear on the screen. Besides letting you identify aircraft types at a greater distance, this also has the fortunate side effect of raising the LOD being displayed. This is because the LOD levels are based on the number of pixels used to display the aircraft on the screen rather than the physical distance they are away from you.

p.s. I just realized that this is dependent on how each aircraft's cockpit is set up, so the calibration is not universal, but it does work for most.
    Last edited by MajorMagee; March 5th, 2016 at 08:00.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by gosd View Post
    Turning on the Ankor shader effects on the following B-17Gs in ETO will turn the color scheme off (all grey):
    B_091,B_094,B_381,B_398,B_447,B_486,B_909.
    Which file should be corrected and how?
    I just discovered the real reason why some of the models turn black with AnKor's Mod turned on. In the case of TKs B24J the shadow layer dds was saved with an alpha layer. Deleting that and saving it again in DXT1 format fixed the problem.
    It turned out that all grey was the same problem as all black. The tricky part of fixing this was that deleting the Alpha layer and saving kept restoring the Alpha layer again even though I was using the DXT1 no alpha format. It wasn't until I did a Save As that the Apha layer was eliminated permanently.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I had forgotten that when this all started it was seen as a way to get SweetFX to run with CFS3 (see page 1).

There is so much you can do with SweetFX. It's fun to just play around and see what you can accomplish with it.

For a minimal but still visible change you can leave every effect turned off except ToneMap (Controls Shading) and Curves (For Contrast). This will leave things pretty much as they were designed to look, but adds a touch more blue to everything (using a negative value is an undocumented feature that adds a tint without dimming the light) and increases the light/dark contrast.

Code:
    #define USE_TONEMAP 1
    #define Gamma 1.00
    #define Exposure 0.00
    #define Saturation 0.05
    #define Bleach 0.0
    #define Defog -0.020
    #define FogColor float3(0.00,0.00,1.00)

#define USE_CURVES 1
    #define Curves_mode 0
    #define Curves_contrast 0.15
    #define Curves_formula 3
    For a big change from the original you can go for that washed out bright hazy day look. This uses Bloom, HDR, Lumasharpen, DPX, Liftgamma, and Vibrance. The low HDR value and the increased midtones for Lift Gamma are the major effects on display here. Look for things like more visible detail in the AA Bursts with this one.

Code:
    #define USE_BLOOM 1
    #define BloomThreshold 33.33
    #define BloomPower 3.3
    #define BloomWidth 0.0333

#define USE_HDR 1
    #define HDRPower 0.66
    #define radius2 0.80

#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1
    #define sharp_strength 2.00
    #define sharp_clamp 0.035
    #define pattern 2
    #define offset_bias 1.00
    #define show_sharpen 0

#define USE_DPX 1
    #define Red 8.00
    #define Green 8.00
    #define Blue 8.00
    #define ColorGamma 2.50
    #define DPXSaturation 3.00
    #define RedC 0.36
    #define GreenC 0.36
    #define BlueC 0.34
    #define Blend 0.33

#define USE_LIFTGAMMAGAIN 1
    #define RGB_Lift float3(0.600,0.600,0.600)
    #define RGB_Gamma float3(1.200,1.200,1.200)
    #define RGB_Gain float3(0.900,0.9.00,0.900)

#define USE_VIBRANCE 1
    #define Vibrance 0.33
    You can go too far with some effects and make things just too weird looking, but nothing is really permanent so have some fun, and see what you can come up with.
    Last edited by hairyspin; October 30th, 2017 at 12:00.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar

Icon22 Oh yeah...

For me, I had to hex edit almost all of the model files to reduce the shine when I moved from XP to Win 7. This has to do with how the Operating Systems interpreted some of the 3d model settings differently requiring the intensity levels to be reduced for Win 7.

You could trying changing the parameters at the top of the models.fx file in the Shaders30 folder first to see if you can get it looking the way you like.
    Yes, I did the same thing about a million years ago in win98se, after having enabling 'SpecularEnable' shine in shaders.xml ...after abandoning that route, everything is back to 'mostly flat'.
    It'd be so cool to know (on my ultra low-end rig) how to get a mild patina, at least

Now that WOFF 3.0 has been released it's okay to share these files.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...1&linkid=21346

These files are installed into the CFS3 main directory the same way as AnKor's previous versions.

This package includes some of my personal modifications, including new water files in the Effects folder, and a couple of adjusted .fx files (the originals are included with - Copy added to the names) in the Shader30 folder. These adjusted .fx files include several new variables near their tops that will let you fine tune the look of some of the effects. The suggested values are listed in the comments for the variable.

The foamamount value in SeaWater.fx is dependent on the water files you're using and is the cut-off brightness that switches the rendering animation from water to foam. Using a different set of water files than the ones I've included will most likely require you to change this value.

The TextureMagic.ini file has the list of my animated gunsite files already included too. The bottom of this file is where you can make edits to customize what will be included or not in the new auto-adjustemnt of special effect brightnesses at night to fit your particular installation.

I've also edited several settings in the d3d8.ini like the FOV that you may want to change to fit your particular set-up better since I'm running at an extra wide 3840 x 1024 resolution.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    MajorMagee,

Salute!

It is not proper change list (I tried to maintain one, but failed ), but the most important features that I can quickly recall:

Environment reflections
    Cubemaps dds file is no longer used, instead the game will update environment reflections in real-time as you fly.
    These reflections are used for sea and aircrafts (especially noticeable on metallic US aircrafts).
    Unfortunately you won't be able to see aircrafts or ships reflecting in the water, but overall it looks much better than with static cubemap texture.

Nighttime lighting for effects
    Smoke and similar effects are properly lit now and become darker when the Sun sets.
    There is a list of "exceptions" in TextureMagic.ini with textures which should stay bright even at night (like flame or explosions).

Improved dynamic (point) lights
    CFS3 had a limitation preventing having more than 6 dynamic lights (like muzzle flashes) simultaneously, otherwise they started to flicker.
    It is not longer the case. My code increases the number of supported lights to about 24 and even if the limit is exceeded they won't flicker randomly - instead the most distant ones will be turned off.
    Also, dynamic lights will now shine on terrain, trees and even water. Previously only aircrafts and facility buildings received light from point lights.