This Could Be Very Interesting - AnKor's Shaders - Page 30
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: This Could Be Very Interesting - AnKor's Shaders

Great idea Andy, I'll have to add that to my next round of effects for the Spitfire project.

Quote Originally Posted by AnKor View Post
    This could potentially allow more complex conditions for enabling/disabling effects, but I haven't thought about it much and not sure what is possible and what is not. Are there any interesting effects which require additional conditions?
    Well that's got the wheels turning. Give me long enough and I could think up a whole bunch of things. Here's a few off the top of my head.

Horsepower - useful for engine exhaust effects. Manifold pressure could work too, but horsepower would be ideal. Would be good if it could be used in conjunction with the high altitude sprites so contrails can be shut off when the engine is shut down or destroyed.

G forces - G-force induced contrails (combined with Andy's low altitude sprite trick if possible), smoke from negative-g carburetor flooding that certain aircraft experienced (best if paired with horsepower for the same reason as the high altitude sprites).

Mach (as opposed to airspeed) - sonic booms, etc.

Altitude above ground - would be useful for dust effects as pictured above, would be good if it could differentiate between land and water to allow different effects. Think of flying at wave top height and kicking up a spray!

Rain - wet cockpit windows (that might be a long shot)

Rounds remaining in a given gun - could turn on tracers the last few rounds as was often done to let the pilot know he was almost out of ammo.

No idea how feasible any of that is, but a lot of those have been things we've beat our heads against for years.

Quote Originally Posted by FOO FIGHTER View Post
    You're a certifiable genius!

I've been going mad trying to figure out how to get my helo dust effect appear at the right altitude and speed. This solves it perfectly!

One minor thing: It is ineffective on airbases/land a couple hundred feet above sea level.

Now this is getting really cool!
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by AnKor View Post

Unfortunately keeping contrails when aircraft is out of view is still impossible.
    Since after aircraft leave the scene, contrails tens to break up a bit and widen, could narrow bands of clouds be made to simulate that effect?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SweetFX versus Reshade

A couple of years ago I discovered that I needed to run SweetFX with AnKor's shaders for G-Sync to work in CFS3. I had tried to install the more up to date version called Reshade back then, but it wouldn't run at all so I reverted back to SweetFX for my 16 different installs. In most cases I didn't want/need any special effects so I created a null SweetFX profile that had everything turned off, and G-Sync would still be working fine.

When I recently installed MAW-43 I found that even before I got around to adding SweetFX to that install that G-Sync was working just fine. I'm not sure if it was an Nividia Driver Update, Windows 10 Update, or the newer d3d8.dll from AnKor that did the trick, but it was nice to know that I didn't need SweetFX any longer.

That prompted me to try the latest version of Reshade again, and sure enough, it was now mostly working okay (no DOF functions) with CFS3 (MAW-43 install). It warns you when you do the install that you will need an open source d3d8.dll that Reshade has as an optional add-on, but I just used the one already provided by AnKor and it ran fine. (I didn't want to risk losing all of our wonderful new functionality in CFS3 by using the generic file)

When I do have special effects turned on in-game I typically want to produce the same look that I get by post-processing a saved image in PhotoShop. My method is to do an Image-Adjustments-Auto Contrast, followed by an Unsharp Mask with settings of 20% strength, 30 pixel radius, Threshold 0 (High Local Contrast Enhancement). After trying a variety of shader filter and function combinations I finally hit on one that very closely matches what I get in Photoshop.

In SweetFX it's:
    #define USE_LIFTGAMMAGAIN 1
    #define RGB_Lift float3(0.82,0.82,0.82)
    #define RGB_Gamma float3(1.075,1.075,1.125)
    #define RGB_Gain float3(1.085,1.085,1.085)

In Reshade it's:
    Effects=LiftGammaGain.fx
    Techniques=LiftGammaGain
    TechniqueSorting=LeiFx_Tech,AdaptiveFog,AdaptiveSh arpen,AmbientLight,ASCII,BloomAndLensFlares,Border ,Cartoon,Chromakey,CA,Clarity,ColorMatrix,Colourfu lness,AdvancedCRT,Curves,Daltonize,Deband,KNearest Neighbors,NonLocalMeans,DepthHaze,DisplayDepth,Rin gDOF,MagicDOF,GP65CJ042DOF,MatsoDOF,MartyMcFlyDOF, DPX,EGAfilter,Emphasize,HDR,MotionBlur,FilmGrain,F ilmGrain2,FilmicAnamorphSharpen,FilmicPass,Mode1,M ode2,Mode3,FXAA,GaussianBlur,GlitchB,HighPassSharp ,HQ4X,Levels,LiftGammaGain,LightDoF_AutoFocus,Ligh tDoF_Far,LightDoF_Near,LumaSharpen,LUT,MagicBloom, Monochrome,MultiLUT,MXAO,Nightvision,Nostalgia,Per fectPerspective,ChromaticAberration,ReflectiveBump mapping,Tint,SMAA,SurfaceBlur,Technicolor,Technico lor2,TiltShift,Tonemap,UIMask_Top,UIMask_Bottom,Vi brance,Vignette

[LiftGammaGain.fx]
    RGB_Lift=0.820000,0.820000,0.820000
    RGB_Gamma=1.075000,1.075000,1.125000
    RGB_Gain=1.085000,1.0850000,1.085000

The result is that the real time image gains clarity (a hint cooler, brighter and more contrast).

The only difference I see between SweetFX and Reshade using this profile so far is that Reshade drops about 3 FPS, while SweetFX has no slow down at all.

Reshade does provide more filters than SweetFX did, and is the basis for Nvidia's new FreeStyle Ansel features. However, some of the filters available in Reshade run quite a bit slower (-25FPS) on my system than the equivalent ones in SweetFX did, and combinations of even the ones that don't have much impact on FPS can quickly kill the performance. Having said that, the results can be amazing if you have the time to play with all the settings and options to create the look you want.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

For bright and sunnier climates like MAW I find that in addition to the added clarity of LiftGammaGain I need to also brighten things up a bit, so I add in DPX as well.

The SweetFX DPX values I'm using are:
    #define USE_DPX 1
    #define Red 8.00
    #define Green 8.00
    #define Blue 8.00
    #define ColorGamma 2.00
    #define DPXSaturation 2.00
    #define RedC 0.36
    #define GreenC 0.36
    #define BlueC 0.34
    #define Blend 0.20

and in Reshade it's:
    [DPX.fx]
    Strength=0.200000
    RGB_Curve=8.000000,8.000000,8.000000
    RGB_C=0.360000,0.360000,0.340000
    Contrast=0.010000
    Saturation=2.000000
    Colorfulness=2.000000

Top = Null, Middle = SweetFX Lift Gamma Gain, Bottom = SweetFX Lift Gamma Gain + DPX

Again with SweetFX there is no FPS loss, but with Reshade LGG drops about 3 FPS and LGG+DPX drops about 9 FPS
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Here are the AnKor compatible xpd effects entries for the ETO He219 aircraft:

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_high_contrail" Location="emitter_engine_0_exh_r" />
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_high_contrail" Location="emitter_engine_1_exh_l" />
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="cockpit_light_uv" PosX="-0.475" PosZ="4.00" PosY="0.85" Pitch="110" Heading="20" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="cockpit_light_uv" PosX="0.475" PosZ="4.00" PosY="0.85" Pitch="110" Heading="-20" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

One of the things I discovered about the SweetFX settings I posted above, that nicely enhance the daytime clarity, is that they make flying at night almost impossible. They push the darker shades all down toward black, and there are essentially no lighter tones to brighten, so there's nothing to see on the screen. At least it's easy to switch between presets.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

You're a certifiable genius!

I've been going mad trying to figure out how to get my helo dust effect appear at the right altitude and speed. This solves it perfectly!

One minor thing: It is ineffective on airbases/land a couple hundred feet above sea level.

yum! would be great to see this applied on the BMW Flugelrad!

Here are the AnKor compatible xpd effects entries for the ETO Halifax aircraft

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="cockpit_light_uv" PosX="-0.575" PosZ="4.25" PosY="1.05" Pitch="100" Heading="20" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="cockpit_light_uv" PosX="0.475" PosZ="6.25" PosY="0.75" Pitch="100" Heading="-20" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_high_contrail" Location="emitter_engine_0_exh_l" />
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_high_contrail" Location="emitter_engine_1_exh_r" />
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_high_contrail" Location="emitter_engine_2_exh_l" />
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_high_contrail" Location="emitter_engine_3_exh_r" />

Quote Originally Posted by BorekS View Post
    yum! would be great to see this applied on the BMW Flugelrad!
    I had her in mind as well Borek.

I had her in mind as well Borek.
    yo-ho-hooo!
    thanks for the ****, mate

I just had my first opportunity to use another feature that AnKor had mentioned in his original notes to us that was still untried at the time.

I was working on adding the same shading and reflective glass effects that I've completed for the outside view models, to the some of the interior cockpits. I had only done a couple and was getting a nice enhancement to the 3D look (example below), when I decided to see what it looked like at night. Everything looked fine until I turned on the UV lights to see the gauges. Talk about ugly!

At first I didn't understand what had gone wrong, but then I remembered the prohibition for having more than one helper texture assigned to a name. In order to get the shading on the cockpit surfaces I had created a new +sr file. Not a problem, until I also tried to access the +clight file too. (Normal maps are an exception to the one helper texture only rule.)

Fortunately, AnKor had provided a way out for me. I created an alpha layer in the +clight file that had the same +sr information in it, and then renamed it +clight+sa. Deleting the two other files, and Voila, problem resolved!

The only disappointment still remaining is that almost all of the original gauges we have were done as flat decals without lens glass, so there's no opportunity to provide them with dynamic shading and reflectance effects.

Last edited by MajorMagee; May 25th, 2018 at 07:52.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Well.....

Nearly all the planes that I have made have glass covering the gauge face in 3d. They all are textured using a "glass" texture and material. Just saying......

Yes, thanks for taking the time to do that. It makes a real difference!
    Last edited by MajorMagee; May 25th, 2018 at 10:11.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

You can add this line to the effects section of the DR_MS406_AX675.XDP file to have the appropriate dynamic gunsight.

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="FR_OPL_4_gunsight" PosX="0.000" PosZ="-1.066" PosY="1.22" Pitch="90" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Moving CFS3 Ankors Installation

Morning,iv`e just moved my CFS3 Rev 5 Ankors installation from Program Files(X86) to my C drive where my FSX and FS2004 sims are installed and my stuttering is 90% better,i think the 8 gig RAM increase is noticeable,please comment as i`m looking at a new CPU namely a Intel Core i5 7600K which i reckon will be the answer to all performance ills!
    alcanallen.

CFS3 was really not designed to take advantage of a lot of ram (only ever uses about 1Gb), but your new surplus may provide room for other things to be going on now that had been causing the CPU to stutter for lack of memory.

I'm running an i7 7700K overclocked to 4.6 Ghz and I can still make CFS3 stutter if I push the scenery and texture budget parameters too high, so it's really a matter of tuning everything to match the limits of your system. I recently discovered that stubborn stuttering could be relieved by lowering the PatchPixelDim parameter in compositetexturebudgets.xml, but that can have image quality side effects so it needs to be done with that in mind.

It's also a matter of the circumstances. Flying very fast at low altitude over a large city or an airfield can cause issues that even just a few thousand feet of altitude will cure.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

PatchPixelDim="512"

Thanks Andy found the xml, does that end # have an effect too? iv`e lowered "512" by 50 and will test later.<Budgets PatchPixelDim="512" MinPatchDimUseThumb="16384">
    Please let us know of any other tweaks for lower range rigs,
    OS Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
    Mother board Gigabyte B85M-HD3
    Procesor i5-4670@3.4 GZh
    Ram 8 Gig
    G Card AMD Radeon HD 6900
    John.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    I run DX11 .Is Ankor's shaders compatible with it and what sweetfx do i need for it to work ? This mod seems awfully tedious to install and a lot of tweaking to get it to work right. This is really intimidating to install and get to work. Don't know if it is above my pay scale to do. After reading many post i think i'll just wait till WOTR is released to enjoy. Have WOFF-UE and enjoy it greatly and i'm sure WOTR will be just as stunning . More of a player and not much into modding individual files. Will try it out on a stock install first and experiment with it if need be. Any help will be appreciated . Got ETO and all the other expansions working correctly so i'm not a total dummy but all the modding seems daunting ! Regards,Scott

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    I revise my earlier statement. Installed without sweetfx and it works fine for me. Problem solved !

yeah, one CFS3 gfx mega mod variable is good enough, I would say, Scott yet, SweetFx, ENB or such graphical enhancements are basically just cosmethic improvements (screen blur, bloom, color tone etc.). as far only Ankor Shaders adds dynamic object shadows and many many other great things.

unfortunatelly, after a few years, Ive installed latest public Ankors Shader package into my CFS3 which "butchered" all my other CFS3 game installations (just full folder clones) too, because all they use same configoverride set at windows user App Data. so I lost all the bloody set previous game tweaks at once. I didnt realised it. I didnt bothered to solve it yet. using WinXp btw.

I would be a little worried using XP now as it isn't supported plus win7 and 10 are actually quire good. I still have my XP machine next to me to keep a lot of old stuff but I keep it off unless needed.

yes, could be bit strange to use WinXP these days, but as a racesim and flightsim stuff creator of old(er) games there still is no reason to refresh all the development tools on something else. yet, I dont play games anymore and the modding hobby spends a lot of my free time however, having a multiboot to Win7, just because of the hated Steam and his few racesims which requests that OS, but its a secondary boot which I dont use too much often

needs to note the "modding PC" is not the only computer at my home or at work of course...

I have W10 64 bit and a old nvidia gfx 660 . I have trying to install in my cfs3 folder the Ankors shaders 170118 , but whitout lucky , run only in 800x600 16 bit , and in this mode , i see only the runway , not have terrain . sorry for my poor english and someone can help me ?

this seems to suggest your old card still should be fine at top resolution. Explain why you are running in 800 x 600 16 bit.