This Could Be Very Interesting - AnKor's Shaders - Page 20
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10121314151617181920212223242526272830 ... LastLast

Thread: This Could Be Very Interesting - AnKor's Shaders

It's been working great in most of my installs but in Rising Sun - Pearl Harbor it consistently crashes after a short time in game.

The last in a long string of similar log entries is:

73.94: WaterBuffer::AddIndexed - Error! Water buffer exceeded 131072 indices.

Just before the game crashes the terrain starts flashing large artifact areas, and then it locks up.
    It looks like there's something about the way the Rising Sun Mod constructed its terrain that is not compatible with the shaders.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Hmm... Yes, this error is caused by too much water.
    I didn't expect it to be a problem, but can probably fix it.

If I set the Water Load Budget in cfs3config.exe to 50% or less then the error does not crop up.

The line in ConfigOverrides.xml looks like this:

<InteriorWaterLoadingFactor val="0.50"/>
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Thank you once again Major! This cleared up a water/terrain issue I was having.

And thank you once again as well Ankor for your stunning work!

Thanks for the tip, that fixed it. I have the adaptive option, but it didn't work. It seems my settings have somehow gotten reset. I'm also down to getting as low as 12 fps. So I need to figure out what to do to get back on track before I can give much useful test info.

I found an odd issue with the CFS3 program code that prevents GSync from activating unless I have SweetFX running, and that only works if I have AnKor's Shaders installed. I have SweetFX set up with null settings so it's not actively doing anything, but evidently their d3d9.dll needs to be there for Nvidia's GSync to think it can turn on. GSync is an amazing piece of technology that lets me run at high frame rates without any screen tearing.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Here's one of those details I knew, but had forgotten to take care of.

With AnKor's shaders the sprites are dimmed at night unless you specifically exclude them in the texturemagic.ini file in the shaders30 folder. To correct this you need to add the dds filenames for the effects to the list in the [FullbrightSprite] ; section.
    If you've noticed any effects that seem dim at night when they really shouldn't be, you would correct them by adding the appropriate dds filename from your effects/fxtextures folder to the list.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

underwater bottom details

I am having a problem in one of my setup with underwater details being visible when Ankors effects are on.
    I have read something on how to correct this but can't seem to remember it.
    Can somebody help ?

The SeaWater.fx file in the Shaders30 folder controls this. At the top of the file there is a parameter table and you want to increase the value of the BaseOpacity to 0.99 or 1.0
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I hate to be picky, but much as I love the newest shaders and all their features (new shadows, fake driver #, etc.), I really thought the July release nailed water perfectly. Was that a setting somewhere or is it inherent in the shaders?

July:
    screen capture tool

Nov:
    free upload image

The values provided by AnKor are optimized for WOFF where the Water Detail Texture Size set in the configoverrides.xml (cfs3config.exe) is different from the CFS3 default.

For the versions I've published here I had already made some adjustments to the fx parameters to account for this. I also included different seawater effect files that were tuned to provide the "random" sea foam animation.

I probably need to put together another package of the most recent shaders with my adjustments again, but for now here is my current seawater.fx file to put in your shaders30 folder.

Please, let me know if this takes care of it for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Perfect! Thank you sir!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnKor View Post
    It is an interesting idea about force feedback, but I can't easily read game settings from my dll.

Here is another "head shake" test version:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...8.20161221.zip

It is more correct now: previous version calculated forces at aircraft's center of gravity, but now they are properly calculated at cockpit location (including gunner stations).
    I've also reduced vertical and forward movement, but increased the range of horizontal movement. I believe this is more correct for human body

This version also fixes the old "sky-colored triangles at edges of the screen" issue caused by head rotation when using TrackIR (though stock CFS3 doesn't seem to suffer from it as much as OFF). I'm not sure if there are any side-effects, will be interesting to know.

Finally, the effect is configurable now.
    Add 3 lines into d3d8.ini:
    OffsetSpring=12
    OffsetResponse=6
    RotationSpring=24

OffsetSpring and RotationSpring controls how fast the view returns to neutral position, i.e. how strong is the resistance to movement (offset) or rotation.
    Minimum value for OffsetSpring is around 4, less than than might cause the view to drift even after a slight shake. Maximum is unlimited but there's probably no difference after 100 or so.
    Setting RotationSpring to very low value produces an interesting effect -- the view tries to stay focused on the same point for some time regardless of aircraft rotation.

OffsetResponse basically controls the damping of head shake. Note that higher values means LESS damping, i.e. this parameter defines how quick the view responds to acceleration. It has no effect on rotation.
    The December ones work well, but the new ones you just released to fix a TrackIR issue are not good. In my standard test conditions the FPS dropped from 83 to 30 - 36, and the frames stutter constantly.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

The ones you released on the 16th run very well again (good CPU utilization with no stuttering).

I can't decide if I like the AlphaToCoverage or not. Sometimes it looks like the leaves are moving in the wind as you fly past, and sometimes it looks like really severe shimmer everywhere. Perhaps this needs to be limited to only close in viewing distances.

I'm trying out the MouseLook function. I like it's precision, and the smooth return after 5 seconds looks very cool. I typically use TrackIR, so I only just now noticed that the scroll wheel will zoom out, but not back in again. Turning the wheel in either direction only results in zooming farther out.

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Are we making progress on a sticky summarizing the current best practice?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Since these beta dlls are adding new functionality for 2017, I was going to wait until they were ready, and then publish a new complete download package, including full instructions. Those could then be added to the knowledge base sticky.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Got it! I'm primarily concerned with good nigh time effects as Daniel knows, and how TIs, flares, markers, fires, etc. will look at night.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    Since these beta dlls are adding new functionality for 2017, I was going to wait until they were ready, and then publish a new complete download package, including full instructions. Those could then be added to the knowledge base sticky.
    Can't wait for this!

The default is that effect sprites are dimmer at night unless you explicitly define them to stay at full brightness in the TextureMagic.ini file in the Shaders30 folder.

You can also define sprites that are only full brightness at night.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Okay, there's a new Beta out today that seems good to go, so I'll start working on a new install package over the new few days while I finish testing it, and then get it uploaded here.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

where? I've seen nothing from Ankor in a while?

I've published a few updates on simhq: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4322382/1/
    Sorry, sometimes I can't find time to post on both forums.

MajorMagee, yes, I think this version should be good enough to make a new package for cfs3. Of course it needs some testing before that.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to the new mod as of yet to install any mods in that way. Like the stock scenery but have the improved scenery in MAW and Korea. Thanks for all the time and work. Wish i could get on Sim HQ but am banned because of dual accounts. Too sad....

Quote Originally Posted by AnKor View Post
    I've published a few updates on simhq: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4322382/1/
    Sorry, sometimes I can't find time to post on both forums.

MajorMagee, yes, I think this version should be good enough to make a new package for cfs3. Of course it needs some testing before that.
    I'll probably wait for you to complete the version where the Mouse Zoom and Mouse Look can be activated separately before I complete the next download package.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Ok, a small observation test
    Not much interesting to see here yet, but I'm curious if I can pull it off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dx.jpg