Attention all DC-3 fans ! - Page 6
Page 6 of 75 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141656 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention all DC-3 fans !

Have been on the lookout lately for one of those good ole' metal lawn chairs, vintage 50's/60's, to paint flat olive & employ during the coming Earth Tour in this living work of art being augmented so well. With some comfy pads it should work pretty well once it's stiffened up a bit to military standards. Fun too!

Looking good!

​.

I wonder if the requirements for a C-47 pilot during the war were that you had to 5'10" or less (?) I can't imagine stuffing my 6'1" frame in behind the yoke of one of those!

I'll probably always remember the episode of "Ice Pilots" where one of Buffalo's new pilots at the time was considered too tall for the DC-3 cockpit and thus was assigned to the C-46 with its roomier cockpit.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

have to remember back then most men were about 5 6 to 5 10 with someone over 6 foot being a tall person so they made most things to fit with people from the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    I stand at 6ft and 3in's and can tell ya it's a PIA getting into the Goon's Bucket. It's all in the matter of ya legs and position. Yep I do mmiss my Yellowknife home and that sweet avgas and roar of Buffalo's DC3's

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherOneJustGreat View Post
    But hey, let's not get carried away here... :-)
    +1

Like has been stated in the opening post of this thread, we're certainly aware of the fact that there are many flightsimmers that love to have a GPS on board, even in vintage aeroplanes, and you can all rest assured that we'll take care of that, certainly as an option. Once the first edition of the VVC is outthere and we still have enough juice left in the batteries we might even think of adding a 'modern' radio set.

Regarding a 'complete package' featuring the v2 external model, Ted's magnificent sound suite, plus the VVC, i'm quite sure we can come to an arrangement about that. Battery condition willing i might have a look into a new set of animated pilot figures to complement the external model.

Afraid only words and no pics about the VVC progress this time around, folks. I simply haven't much new to show yet because i started work on the 'Overhead', aka Electrical panels, which required quite a few days of research, gathering of photo's, thoughts, and tests to begin with. As you know, there are as many different DC-3 'Overheads' as there are DC-3's... The basic OH is setup though ( original 'pre customized' left and right 'eyebrow' electrical panels with magneto switch board in the middle and Radio Compass control unit on the ceiling above it ), now setting up the switches, knobs and other stuff and doing texture tests to suit the legends. Can probabely show you something during the coming week.

Until later,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I'll probably always remember the episode of "Ice Pilots" where one of Buffalo's new pilots at the time was considered too tall for the DC-3 cockpit and thus was assigned to the C-46 with its roomier cockpit.
    I remember that one! I've never been up front in a DC-3, but I have been in up front in a C-46, and I was amazed at how small and cramped it was up there. Perhaps they have more leg room than the Douglas!

I'm so looking forward to this DC-3 VC.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    +1

Like has been stated in the opening post of this thread, we're certainly aware of the fact that there are many flightsimmers that love to have a GPS on board, even in vintage aeroplanes, and you can all rest assured that we'll take care of that, certainly as an option. Once the first edition of the VVC is outthere and we still have enough juice left in the batteries we might even think of adding a 'modern' radio set.

Regarding a 'complete package' featuring the v2 external model, Ted's magnificent sound suite, plus the VVC, i'm quite sure we can come to an arrangement about that. Battery condition willing i might have a look into a new set of animated pilot figures to complement the external model.

Afraid only words and no pics about the VVC progress this time around, folks. I simply haven't much new to show yet because i started work on the 'Overhead', aka Electrical panels, which required quite a few days of research, gathering of photo's, thoughts, and tests to begin with. As you know, there are as many different DC-3 'Overheads' as there are DC-3's... The basic OH is setup though ( original 'pre customized' left and right 'eyebrow' electrical panels with magneto switch board in the middle and Radio Compass control unit on the ceiling above it ), now setting up the switches, knobs and other stuff and doing texture tests to suit the legends. Can probabely show you something during the coming week.

Until later,
    Jan
    Good news all around!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    I remember that one! I've never been up front in a DC-3, but I have been in up front in a C-46, and I was amazed at how small and cramped it was up there. Perhaps they have more leg room than the Douglas!

I'm so looking forward to this DC-3 VC.

For a tall person like me and the DC3 I got to sit in. You had to move around a lot. The most frustrating thing is during flights. You need to move ya legs around to keep your blood flowing or it is charlie horse city and pins and needle's errr, no fun bringing in a Goon and bumping a pot hole or snow bumps. Even worse in Arctic cold the pain is.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

I just watched an episode of Ice Pilots and Scott Blue, probably the tall guy mentioned here, was the engineer on the Electra and said that he had been for quite a while. I find that odd since the same show was talking about their desperate need for C-46 pilots. Scott was previously a fully qualified C-46 pilot and seemed to like it. I wonder if he had an accident or got in trouble somehow, he's been mysteriously missing for a couple of seasons.

Hey guys,

Could use some help from some of you 'rivet counters' here. Which quartet of crosshead renditions you like best here, the left or the right ?.... :

(this is a close up of the left side electrical panel but this will apply for the main panel as well. Don't mind the ON-OFF legends, still working on that too )

Here's a shot of the left panel so far :

Thanks!
    Jan

Never been a rivet counter,i prefer the right side.
    Mike
    Last edited by big-mike; January 15th, 2014 at 07:10.

The right side.

The right. Looks good.

i7-4790K@4.8 gig, using EK-Supreme HF waterblock, LG 43" 4K; MSI 2060; 32 gig G.Skill Trident GTX @2400; Win 10-64; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80-style throttle quadrant; TrackIR5

The left side. Older, worn look.

SOH-CM-2021
    Left. Those on the right look too big.

The right.

but a little smaler

cheers
    ralf

I, also, prefer the ones on the right.

Really looking forward to this.

The right side is the right side Jan....

But I could be wrong as I don't consider myself a rivet counter

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Alky View Post
    I just watched an episode of Ice Pilots and Scott Blue, probably the tall guy mentioned here, was the engineer on the Electra and said that he had been for quite a while. I find that odd since the same show was talking about their desperate need for C-46 pilots. Scott was previously a fully qualified C-46 pilot and seemed to like it. I wonder if he had an accident or got in trouble somehow, he's been mysteriously missing for a couple of seasons.
    The way I heard it was Scott is " hungry for flying hours to reach his goal of becoming a captain", and he can't accumulate enough hours if he stays solely with the C-46. So nothing sinister, just the opposite by the look of it.

Which quartet of crosshead renditions you like best here, the left or the right ?.....
    Jan, as somebody who mainly still flies in FS9 I should probably say the Dark Side. (But the left side looks best)
    Andy

Going well, gents, keep 'em coming..

Eventually there's a lot of these guys spread all over the cockpit and once the're all there, the're all there...

The difference is that the left quartet is not completely 3D while the right quartet is, that's why the right ones can have spec light added to them while the left ones cannot. Both the left and right crossheads are of exactly the same size. It's the spec light that makes the right ones 'look' bigger.

The amount of spec light can of course be adjusted.

I didn't have in mind to make the crossheads and other screws completely 3D because of the additional poly count but i tried a complete 3D crosshead just for the heck of it and found the additional poly count to be very modest (only 5 poly's more ).

I believe i saw the first complete 3D rendition of screws in the fabulous A2A J3 VC which made my jaw drop onto the floor..

I'll wait a while ( walk my dog Kodi, which is a Welsh Corgi Pembroke ) and then count the left and right votes.

Thanks, guys !

cheers,
    Jan

The right is nicer looking, smaller if possible but not a deal breaker. Nice work!

Jan:

I'm going to veer away from the rest and suggest a mixture would be best. Most DC-3s I've seen have been worked on by many people in many parts of the world and the result is a bit of hodge-podge. The uniform painting along with different rivet/screw heads will only (IMHO) only add to the overall realism. In addition, may I again ask about any awareness/use of Google Sketchup in the FS modeling world?

Thanks for your efforts- they are greatly appreciated and admired.

Carl Avari-Cooper

Just to be a complete killjoy, I go for the LEFT set. In close-up, the right set looks cleaner/better - but (strangely) when zoomed back and viewed in context of the whole panel, they seem overly bright.

They actually look like two completely different types of screws. LEFT: Philips, japanned (ie. black paint) and RIGHT: Posidrive, chrome.

I suspect the real panels had black painted screw heads (gloss or matt) to minimise reflections/distractions <???>.

Pure supposition though LOL!

Adam.

Definitely the right, but you need to tone sown the specular reflections a bit...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Members who have read this thread: 133