Attention all DC-3 fans ! - Page 25
Page 25 of 75 FirstFirst ... 15171819202122232425262728293031323335 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention all DC-3 fans !

Quote Originally Posted by banjoman1960 View Post
    Hi Mike

i use dx10,for me it work
    maybee switch off and on with lights use L
    Thank you,now it works and looks great.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    Thank you,now it works and looks great.
    Mike
    nice,have fun..........

gruß von düsseldorf

Nick, thank you for your effort to provide us this great looking VC texture. Now I have a vc that looks a lot better than the basler cockpit.

Now I hope that Jan find's a way to complete his amazing vvc. Now that would really be the cherry on my cheese cake. Hmm...., cheese cake? Time for coffee!
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

SOH-CM-2021
    Thank you Nick. Even I managed to follow your tutorial! Not for the faint hearted? A faint heart never won a fair hand.

Dennis.

1. Quote Originally Posted by 511Flyer View Post
      Not for the faint hearted? A faint heart never won a fair hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by 511Flyer View Post

Dennis.
    That's not the quote I know although yours is probably correct, the one I knew throughout my service was "a faint heart never f***ed a pig"
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Getting back to the original thread

Hi Jan

Any news on assistance with the gauges?

Best wishes Chris

Problem setting the NAV radio's and selecting the fuel tanks

Hello

After successfully applying the original VC I can't set both NAV radio's anymore.
    The ADF and marker switches doing well but I can't select a VHF frequencies into the NAV radio's
    I am also not sure how to use the fuel tank selection in the original panel the right way?
    I hope someone is willing to help me out on these.

Rgrsd

Bert

Week before last I took another trip to King Island [Bass Strait] in the 'Gooney Bird'...a DC3 built in 1945 and the 'youngest' airframe still flying....
    ...VH-0VM -ex-RAAF. It's apparently flown the equivalent of 3 years of a commercial A/C work-load in its life. It'll be 70 years old next year...
    It's one of those flights where you can have access to the aircrew....take pictures, etc.
    Here's one which 'should' be of interest....after we returned to Essendon Airport I managed a pic once the crew had shutdown...

Attachment 12817

Nice pic, she looks like her office is in pretty nice shape!
    You're very lucky, I doubt I'll ever get to even stand in the passenger area of a DC-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Week before last I took another trip to King Island [Bass Strait] in the 'Gooney Bird'...a DC3 built in 1945 and the 'youngest' airframe still flying....
    ...VH-0VM -ex-RAAF. It's apparently flown the equivalent of 3 years of a commercial A/C work-load in its life. It'll be 70 years old next year...
    It's one of those flights where you can have access to the aircrew....take pictures, etc.
    Here's one which 'should' be of interest....after we returned to Essendon Airport I managed a pic once the crew had shutdown...

Attachment 12817
    Now that is what I would consider a "modernized" panel. Nothing real fancy, a single Garmin GNS430 for GPS, Comm1 and Nav1, then fairly conventional Comm2, Nav2, ADF, and transponder radios.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Nice pic, Jafo. I've seen that DC3 parked at Essendon but didn't realise it was as active - and accessible as it is. Definately on my to-do list now!

On the way over I stepped out for a sec and took a photo....

Attachment 12846

Several members have posted about problems starting the MF engines, me included.
    Even though I follow the routine religiously I get variable results - port engine starts only, or neither engine starts, at sea level etc. The mouse hover-over on SHIFT+3 with tool-tips active never produces anything.

I used an old trick, and reset frame rate to 29 fpm. This used to solve the same problem in the MAAM FSX port-over.
    CTRL+E worked! But only once. Next time I had to set the rate to 26 fpm to light the fires.

For no particular reason, and not because I had a flash of inspiration, I wondered if setting the sim rate to x2 would solve the problem.
    It did. So my routine now after pre-startup checks is to set frame rate =30, Sim rate =2, then CTRL+E to start both engines.
    Once the engines start the sim rate is reset =normal.

John

Shame you have to go to that trouble for a Shift+E start, John.

I'm not sure from your description, that you are using the control panel (Shift 3 and 4) correctly. On the panel that displays the engine details (the busier of the two), you actually need to click on (not just hover over) the various commands. Using the 'old' VC (?), you can click most switches in the VC (for battery, generators, mags, fuel pumps etc) but you can't 'hold' the starter switch long enough in the VC for the slow pre-ignition prop rotations.

So you need the pop-up Shift+4 control panel to be able to click (on the OFF word in the right most column) and hold this 'starter' down until it fires (you can watch the nearby rpm read-out stutter, stop, stutter and then reluctantly (it seems) begin to increase before you release the mouse button. It's usually about a 4 second hold for me. At this point you'll hear the engine cough itself into life, then repeat procedure for engine 2.

hope this helps (and apologies if you already knew all this).

Thanks for this, Portia911.

I've not had a chance to try out your suggestions. I've certainly not been using that technique. With a bit of luck I'll get a chance to test later tonight (am in UK) or tomorrow.
    Will post again.

John

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Getting back to the original thread

Hi Jan

Any news on assistance with the gauges?

Best wishes Chris
    It really seems a shame that Javis got such a great start on a world class interior (I could smell the weathered leather) for the Gooney Bird. I like to make another appeal to you folks that work with developers to ask around and see if there is a gauge coder that would volunteer to come on board and make the vintage cockpit complete. We've got such a fine package now it seems a shame not to have a vintage cockpit to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Portia911 View Post
    Shame you have to go to that trouble for a Shift+E start, John.

I'm not sure from your description, that you are using the control panel (Shift 3 and 4) correctly....

So you need the pop-up Shift+4 control panel to be able to click (on the OFF word in the right most column) and hold this 'starter' down until it fires (you can watch the nearby rpm read-out stutter, stop, stutter and then reluctantly (it seems) begin to increase before you release the mouse button. It's usually about a 4 second hold for me. At this point you'll hear the engine cough itself into life, then repeat procedure for engine 2.
    I did all this using SHIFT+3 but to no avail. I have primed, set mixture at AR, the props at 100%, throttle at 10% with generators ON but no amount of holding on the On/Off button on the popup will start either engine.

With sim rate =2 the engines fire up using CTRL+E, then reset to =normal and warm up before power checks etc. Not ideal but at least it works.

EDIT
    Portia911's technique using the SHIFT+3 popup will work if sim rate is set =2 during start up. Once the engines have started resume sim rate=normal.

John

Hey John, good to hear you have had some success and can now run a start procedure in the VC rather than Ctrl+E.

Much more satisfying, especially when the developers have done such wonderful work in providing system details for a fuller immersion experience.

There should be no need to alter anything, assuming that the batteries are charged, you have fuel, you have switched on the
    fuel pumps and have fuel pressure and have turned on the magnetos.
    Engines don't need much more and this aircraft is so well modelled that if you get it right, it will start every
    time but if you don't it won't.

Often inconsistent aircraft model behaviour is caused by the flight that the user has saved as default.

You can remove this variable.
    Go to your FSX Settings-Controls\Buttons/Keys and find the entry for Aircraft (Reload).
    Assign yourself a key for this, load the aircraft and press the key.

The aircraft will reload and at least then you will be starting from the point where the developers intended and it should
    behave correctly.

Regards,
    Nick

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I have had no problems starting the DC-3. My procedure is as follows:

1. Mixture levers fully forward.

2. Prop pitch levers fully forward.

3. Throttle open to about 10%

All switches and pumps on as required.

This is done in P3D V2.4.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by JoHubb View Post
    With sim rate =2 the engines fire up using CTRL+E, then reset to =normal and warm up before power checks etc. Not ideal but at least it works.
    Here's something I tried... in the aircraft.cfg there's a line,
    idle_rpm_friction_scalar= 1.0
    I changed that to = 0.5, I don't know if that's a real fix or not.
    Another little item I changed was... min_throttle_limit = 0.0 and I changed that to = 0.01 this keeps the rpm's up slightly from default.
    In my case the engines kept stalling as soon as the aircraft loaded, they don't anymore. I find now that the engines start better with CTRL +E.
    Your mileage may vary.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Alky View Post
    Another little item I changed was... min_throttle_limit = 0.0 and I changed that to = 0.01 this keeps the rpm's up slightly from default.
    In my case the engines kept stalling as soon as the aircraft loaded, they don't anymore. I find now that the engines start better with CTRL +E.
    Your mileage may vary.
    Yes it work! Fantastic! Finally I can start up the engine after shutting again and again. Thanks

Your mileage may vary.
    Yes, thanks Alky, this works. I can now start using the recommended method from the VC. Great stuff!

John

Quote Originally Posted by BertAtHome View Post
    Hello

After successfully applying the original VC I can't set both NAV radio's anymore.
    The ADF and marker switches doing well but I can't select a VHF frequencies into the NAV radio's
    I am also not sure how to use the fuel tank selection in the original panel the right way?
    I hope someone is willing to help me out on these.

Rgrsd

Bert
    Hi,

I finally managed to resolve the NAV set problem.
    The problem can be solved by disabling the "standby frequency" and "glide slope availability" by setting it to "0"

[radios]
    // Radio Type = available, standby frequency, has glide slope
    Audio.1 = 1
    Com.1 = 1, 1
    Com.2 = 1, 1
    Nav.1 = 1, 0, 0 // 1, 1
    Nav.2 = 1, 0, 0 // 1, 1, 1,
    Adf.1 = 1
    Adf.2 = 1
    Transponder.1 = 0
    Marker.1 = 1

Hope this can help others

Rgrds

Bert

SOH-CM-2023
    Your mileage may vary.
    This modification fixed some problems I have been having. Thank you.