Attention all DC-3 fans ! - Page 7
Page 7 of 75 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151757 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention all DC-3 fans !

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Strange they have used a photo of ZK-AMY a regular overhead in Christchurch "Southern Air DC-3" used for tours and sightseeing.

Thanks for asking but.... Save your polys for something that matters. Either crosshead screw looks great. Go with the lowest poly count.

Thanks very much for your input about the crossheads, gents! I'm glad i put up the question because i think "i've seen the light" now...

I think particularly Adam's suggestion holds much water. It is also a fact that, no matter the intensity of specular light, it will always tone down the details of a texture. I have always blessed the day specular lighting became available in FS. It has made FS aircraft models to look ever so much more realistic. But i see now that adding it to screwheads and that sort of thing will work against the overall vintage feeling of the VVC.

I just had a go at this full 3D crossheads simply because it is possible now, and they certainly do look nice, but after your input i am convinced now that these are better left for modern, spic and span, cockpits.

Thanks very much again all !

cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    .... In addition, may I again ask about any awareness/use of Google Sketchup in the FS modeling world?
    Ah, sorry bout that, Carl. Coincidently i installed Sketchup a while ago because my brother asked me too. He is working with it and was curious about my thoughts of the program. For a freeware program I think it's wonderful and very easy to work with and, depending on export options, might be usefull for creating FS scenery. For creating FS aircraft models though, i think it's about as usefull as an astray on a motorbike....

It's deffinately Gmax you'd want and need. It's free too you know. It's an FS God's givin gift !

I hope that answers your question, Carl.

cheers,
    jan

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    It's definitely Gmax you'd want and need. It's free too you know. It's an FS God's givin gift !
    3DSMax if you're rich.

Ah, sorry bout that, Carl. Coincidently i installed Sketchup a while ago because my brother asked me too. He is working with it and was curious about my thoughts of the program. For a freeware program I think it's wonderful and very easy to work with and, depending on export options, might be usefull for creating FS scenery. For creating FS aircraft models though, i think it's about as usefull as an astray on a motorbike....

It's deffinately Gmax you'd want and need. It's free too you know. It's an FS God's givin gift !

I hope that answers your question, Carl.

cheers,
    jan
    Thanks Jan!

Standing by.... Checking this thread each day..... I look forward to flying the old girl soon

Carl

The right side, but with the specular lighting turned down a bit.

Goodday Captains, i'd like to present the more or less finished left hand overhead electrical panel. As opposed to most other stuff this panel is already textured because of the angle it has to be rotated in to fit its place in the cockpit. Much easier to map a texture onto an object that sits at a straight angle and this goes for placing all switches and other stuff as well. The brightness of the legends as well as the amount of 'weathering' can be adjusted.

Just the panel ( and thanks again for your input about the screws.. ) :

And fitted inside the cockpit together with the magneto switches. The boxes above it are going to be the radios. :

Working on the right hand electrical panel now, probabely ready too in a couple of days.

Have a nice weekend !

Cheers,
    Jan

Wow,can't wait for this panel,it's looking awsome.

Quite incredible! Keep taking the tablets! :lol:

Icon23

Interesting panel, with important switches such as the emergency De-Icer and Prop-Feathering switches, along with that most important switch of all, the "Call Hostess" switch!

Just kidding, the cockpit is looking fantastic! Thanks for the hard work.

Looking Awesome, and thanks again for the tremendous effort you are making
    for us all Jan.

Regards
    Les

Jan, Frikken Marvelous and I'm pleased with your choice of screws, I got a new screw-driver set only yesterday

Hi Jan, very nice!!! Is she already flying in FSX. Did yiu get the exporter to work?
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

lookin good
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is rapidly becoming one my favourite ever threads! Great work Jan.

Holy smokers! That is looking awesome.

Jan, I have two questions for you, if you don't mind.

1) I see a "START" indication on the right side of that panel, but no switch/button or rotary that it could relate to. Is that stil in process, or am I missing
    something there?

2) I use a home built overhead panel with switches that I assign to functions on many aircraft, using FSUIPC. Will it be possible to assign the switches in this vc using either fsx control functions or mouse mapping?

Jan, as always, you are doing an incredible job with this vintage vc.

Forever thankful for all your hard work,

Manfredc3
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by robcap View Post
    Hi Jan, very nice!!! Is she already flying in FSX. Did yiu get the exporter to work?
    Hey Rob, no haven't done any exporting yet. I know myself, as soon as i have something in FSX it'll be more 'test flights' than actual work... I want to do more texture work first

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    I see a "START" indication on the right side of that panel, but no switch/button or rotary that it could relate to. Is that stil in process, or am I missing something there?
    Yup, Manfred, that's the starter position for the fluorescent lighting. The switch is at the 'Off' position here.

I use a home built overhead panel with switches that I assign to functions on many aircraft, using FSUIPC. Will it be possible to assign the switches in this vc using either fsx control functions or mouse mapping?
    To be really sure Hansi will have to answer your question but i believe it'll be possible, yes.

Cheers,
    jan

Goodday Captains, i'd like to present the more or less finished left hand overhead electrical panel.

Just the panel...

And fitted inside the cockpit together with the magneto switches. The boxes above it are going to be the radios.

​.

Hi folks, a final update on the overhead electrical panels, atleast for the time being. There might be some changes needed when we actually get to wire the thing up.

Here's the completed right side electrical panel :

Volt and Amp scales are not correct, just a quick texture to show what it's going to look like.

As you can see i have moved the battery switch to the right panel, seems more appropriate. The left panel looks like this now :

The complete Overhead :

Inside the cockpit :

I feel it's about time now to make an appointment with the upholsterer. In my DC-3 book the lovely padding all around the cockpit is a very important part of the ambiance of a DC-3 cockpit and from experience i know a lot of time will have to be spend on it if one wants to make a good job of it. This time i'd like to take the chance to not just map padding textures on the existing inner cockpit walls but actually create 3D segments to rap around all the bends, corners and obstacles, just like the real thing so to speak. The first thing though will be to establish a good looking padding texture. The next update therefore will probabely take a wee bit longer. Wish me luck... ;-)

Cheers,
    Jan

Jan , all the Luck wished on you, Just Superb

No, sorry, you obviously don't need luck.........now if I did it I would need to be the luckiest person in the world. I will offer BEST WISHES and a heartfelt THANK YOU!!

Steve

Members who have read this thread: 133