Attention all DC-3 fans ! - Page 12
Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 245678910111213141516171819202262 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention all DC-3 fans !

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Beautiful wark Jan, however one remark, I noticed the all the paint of the handle from the emergency exit has been worn away. I don't know whether that is a good sign..... Cheers, Huub
    It was probably in a hot weather climate and the crew routinely opened the hatch in order to cool the cockpit. Nothing to worry about, kind of like oil dripping from the engines. You worry when you don't see oil dripping because that would mean all of the oil has leaked out.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Beautiful wark Jan, however one remark, I noticed the all the paint of the handle from the emergency exit has been worn away. I don't know whether that is a good sign.....

Cheers,
    Huub
    Sorry i might've givin you the wrong impression here, Huub...But i believe i did say somewhere above that the cash flow is very,very low and we'll have to settle for a used but well kept DC-3 rather than a factory fresh specimen ( for all i know even Basler makes use of old DC-3's for their turbo upgrade... )

A lot of ingredients shown here in screenies above are just examples, NOT what we're eventually going to end up with. Better get used to that, matey. Here's a screenie of the throttle pedestal (WIP) that is actually fitted in our DC-3 vintage cockpit.

By all means, if you can't live with a few paint scratches here and there, you will find a crate in the back filled with paint cans according to Douglas standard cockpit colors. Spray away to your hearts content.

Jan-

I PROMISE- I'm flying her as much as possible to become familiar with her idiosyncrasies... getting all the flows and procedures correct for your VVC. However she arrives, she will be perfect... we wait...surviving despite the teasers....

Carl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   1.jpg   1.jpg  

I read Huub's post to mean should we worry that the escape hatch had been used so often
    not that it should have virgin paint on the handle, perhaps that's just me.....

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    I read Huub's post to mean should we worry that the escape hatch had been used so often
    That's the way I read it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    By all means, if you can't live with a few paint scratches here and there, you will find a crate in the back filled with paint cans according to Douglas standard cockpit colors. Spray away to your hearts content.
    Very well done and looking so real ... may save time or add extra for this superb effort , happen to have this on my desktop .. if required I can photo close ups

Ah, i see! You must surely be right. I've been looking at too much escape hatch areas to think about that. There's about non amongst them that don't show scratched paint on the handles. Some of 'em have hardly any paint on 'em anymore..

Besides, i know Huub from his wonderful KLM repaints for Manfred's DC-3 for which i thanked him a lot, not a scratch amongst them...

Anyway, good chance to show update on the pedestal which i wanted to do anyway.

cheers,
    jan

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    .. if required I can photo close ups
    Yessir, please do ! From both sides straight on and one of the top if not asking too much. Thanks !!

cheers,
    jan

Yessir, please do ! From both sides straight on and one of the top if not asking too much. Thanks !!
    Wodger Wilco over and out ... ...... course without the tag

Edit: A thought any further close-up knob dial photo information I can get close and personal into the RNZAF Wigram Museums DC-3 for anything else .. this aircraft is still kitted out as a VIP transport and same aircraft that transported HRH Queenie in the New Zealand 1953 visit i believe .

cheers,
    jan
    Jan - I'm in Auckland and could get in to see the DC-3 in the museum (MOTAT) if required. It's ZK-BQK. I'm not sure whether it's the same model you're working on, but let me know if you want any reference pics taken and I'll see if I can cadge my way in. I've had a request to do the repaint, so I'm looking for additional excuses (!).

http://motataircraft.blogspot.co.nz/...dc-3-c47d.html

Adam.
    Last edited by Adamski_NZ; February 28th, 2014 at 07:55.

With you all the way, Nick...my thought was that it was a bit like finding sharp knives in a steakhouse-type restaurant - you can't help wondering 'Why?'

MikeW

Quote Originally Posted by emfrat View Post
    With you all the way, Nick...my thought was that it was a bit like finding sharp knives in a steakhouse-type restaurant - you can't help wondering 'Why?'
    Hi ya Mike , them there emergency levers really need a banging, one lever - the roof hatch of NZ3551 was impossible to close - almost needed a lever to add to the lever to wrench it shut .... wonder what happens when you really need it

You read it the way I intended to write it . I wonder I I would like to fly in an aircraft which had a so well used exit for emergencies......

A virgin paint..... me? Have you ever ever looked at my repaints! Normally I'm the one who can't stop weathering!

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub , I do like that texture, the weathered affect is superb ... I was to post this an hour back - my Brother stopped in showing off his new toy - a camera equipped helicopter not weathered tho

Hey guys,

First and foremost, a round of applause for Ian !

THANKS SO MUCH, IAN !!! (see below... ;-)

From the ceiling onto the floor, a minor step for me ( i just let go of the exit hatch ;-), a major step for texture work. This all thanks to Ian who was kind enough to take his camera into the cockpit of NZ3551 over at the RNZAF Wigram museum and sent me a truckload of fantastic high resolution photos. ( Thanks so much again, Ian !! I'll send another email your way today )

Here are the first results :

Ian is going back for another shoot and i will ask him a.o. if he might be allowed to open up the fire extinguisher hatch so we'll be able tp properly kill an engine fire should it occur.

Next to the floor work i'm also working on texturing the throttle quadrant and finishing it up with some more stuff. Pedestal is almost done, carbheat handles still to add and some more texture work. WIP looks like this now :

Also happy to say that atleast the so called '.x' file is in ze pocket. (using Prepar3D SDK v2/64 bit) Very important first step into producing the mdl file. I probabely would've had a mdl file by now but then Ian showed up around the corner...

That's it for now, gents.

Cheers,
    Jan

Jan-

The floor texturing is so realistic the I can actually "feel" the scarred aluminum and the layers of paint, scraped at by many pairs of flight boots. Each release of your photos adds to the craving. I have flown the old girl enough to where the flows are now becoming second nature. I will only have to re-learn the correct positioning of the knobs/switches in the VVC. Even London Control is becoming adept at fitting in 100kt approaches at Heathrow and Gatwick should anyone else decide to take the RAE paint for a spin!

Ted Tu-Fun, should you make any improvements (not aware how that is possible exactly) to the sounds, please release V2 of the sound set. This Dakota is becoming an all consuming addiction .

Ian, if you would consider providing a link to your high-res Dakota photos it would be much appreciated mate!

Best- Carl

Blog Entries
    GULP...UH...UH...WOW JAN!!!
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Jan . What outstanding work. Thank you for your had work!!

You know, when I heard we were getting a classic cockpit for the DC-3, I was expecting something basic, but nice. But I should have considered it was being made by Javis and it looks simply amazing so far, far beyond my expectations. Thank for the previews.

That is some incredible work! Many thanks to Ian for contributing his time to put the icing on the cake!

Thanks gents !

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski_NZ View Post
    Jan - I'm in Auckland and could get in to see the DC-3 in the museum (MOTAT) if required. It's ZK-BQK. I'm not sure whether it's the same model you're working on, but let me know if you want any reference pics taken and I'll see if I can cadge my way in. I've had a request to do the repaint, so I'm looking for additional excuses (!).

http://motataircraft.blogspot.co.nz/...dc-3-c47d.html

Adam.
    Thank you very kindly, Adam ! With Ian's contribution i do however have more than enough cockpit photos already so it is not really necessary. I couldn't help notiching that the pax cabin looks very nice.... Much too early yet to decide if i'll ever get to adding a 3D cabin to Manfred's DC-3 but in case that should happen eventually you can be sure i'll be ringing your bell.

Thanks once again for your kind offer !

Cheers,
    Jan

Blog Entries
    Hey a well used plane is A-OK with me.....
    Restored is nice to....

Great to see the latest developments Jan. Having spent many happy hours with Ian at Wigram a couple of years ago, I know he can usually get to the parts other devs can't reach! Well done on your contribution, my friend.

WOW That modeling work is supreme, Stunning ! ... Jan, I now no how to work my camera, I had to throw 120/150 photos out.

I have met Adam seven years back at the Tauranga Airshow - great to see the entire bunch of NZFFers in one tent from all over our the country (missed most of the airshow all this meeting peoples, us the Flight simmers and developers): to beat the lot Adrian Petford come half the way around the world with the want to meet the lot of us, how many people spend a week in Christchurch and make Three visits to a museum Only us plane nutters.

Carl, I'll find a way to host them on my website another learning curve , www.aviation-art-in-action.com

Members who have read this thread: 133