Migration Tool query

Thread: Migration Tool query

Migration Tool query

I have a query regarding the FSX to Prepar3D Migration Tool, from Flightsim Estonia. I was just wondering what this tool actually does, that cannot be achieved by simply pointing a FSX installer at the P3D v2 program folder? Is it actually worth buying?
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I have used it. It didn't work on the plane I tried to migrate over, which was the Captain Sim 777. The tool was advertised as the Migration Tool for 'CaptSim' specifically, and then CaptSim stated that wasn't 'their' tool and that the 777 wasn't to be used in P3D.

That really let me down. I still have it though, hoping they will change their minds. Perhaps I'll just make my own 777 for P3D.

But, back to the migration tool. Somehow it changes the Registry, the EXE files in the sims and when you run the installer, it will appear to load into P3D. But, I heard someone say that you need to have the tool 'on' when running things that are migrated over, which makes me think it links to things in FSX.

Bottom line, I still do not fully understand how the tool works. It has an 'on' mode and 'off' mode, and states that some things require it to be active when the sim is running, and that you must use it when installing things that refuse to install into anything except the FSX folder.

That's all I know about it. I am still puzzled by it. I think I did get it to install something else fine, but haven't used it since.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

I have used the Estonia Migration Tool extensively, and found it to work on pretty much everything - aircraft, scenery, weather, everything. The exceptions, and this may be what Bill ran into, are the models that have a "switch" to detect installations into P3D and those will not work. Flight1 aircraft, for example.

My understanding is similar to Bill's: it alters the Registry, creates links in the file directories, etc so that anything that has an FSX detect-and-load process will get redirected to P3D. There are a considerable number of people that say you don't need the tool, that manual hacks work, but I find the simplicity and "certainty" to be worth the low cost. Just turn it on, and leave it on.
    i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz (OC), 8GB DDR3 1600 memory, Windows 7. All home built.

Fast motorcycles, vintage cars, good bourbons, and alas, vintage cigars I had to give up...

Thanks for the response Bill. It sounds like, rather than buying this, I might be better off doing what I have been doing so far, that is, only installing P3D compatible aircraft eg my Carenado's and leaving any that have issues in FSX.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'