Luftwaffe gear

Thread: Luftwaffe gear

Luftwaffe gear

OK, I've seen pictures of Luftwaffe fighter pilots wearing what looks like a ring of metal cigar tubes around one or both legs, even swear I saw one on an X-Wing pilot in Episode IV... anyone know what the heck these things were?

Blog Entries

Flares...

Quote Originally Posted by _486_Col_Wolf View Post
    OK, I've seen pictures of Luftwaffe fighter pilots wearing what looks like a ring of metal cigar tubes around one or both legs, even swear I saw one on an X-Wing pilot in Episode IV... anyone know what the heck these things were?
    Although I would not swear to it... I am pretty sure those "cigars" are flare cartridges... for use in identifying themselves to SAR crews when downed in the Channel during night bombing raids...

Blog Entries

Just as I thought...

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    Although I would not swear to it... I am pretty sure those "cigars" are flare cartridges... for use in identifying themselves to SAR crews when downed in the Channel during night bombing raids...
    I was dead on target: (seen on an advertisement on-line for militaria stuff: "Luftwaffe Flare Gun Cartridge Strap with Spent Cartridges #1619"

REFERENCE ONLY. (SOLD or NOT FOR SALE)

"Luftwaffe pilots and flight crews often wore their flare cartridges strapped to the flight boot - easily accessible and out of the way until needed. Original examples of the flare cartridge holder are nearly never seen for sale.

Cheers,
    Gaucho_59