Keeping Track of Activation Codes

Thread: Keeping Track of Activation Codes

Keeping Track of Activation Codes

In re-installing software on a new system I've discovered my skills at tracking activation codes and the like are not as good as I thought. I keep a little black accounting notebook in the desk in which I write down the vendor, the software producer, the product, and the code. Despite my best efforts I inevitably discover I:

a) cannot decipher my own hand writing
    b) transpose numbers and letters
    c) can't decide is that's "0" or "O"
    d) wrote the information down on a scrap of paper that never made it to the book

That's why it's nice to deal with on-line vendors who keep better track of my account than I do. Specifically Just Flight, and the Flight Sim Store. I don't want to infer that other vendors are not so easy to deal with, it's just that these two seem to really make things easy.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Tea, went through the same thing and feel like you do....only problem I had was remembering which vendor I bought the a/c from if I didn't use
    the vendor that created the a/c. I will say that they were helpful and answered questions in a reasonable timeframe...

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

My technique is a little more complex.

I save the activation code in a text file and keep it with the folder of the original installer. The text file is either created directly from the e-mail or created directly by pasting the code into the file. This way, when I burn the install folder to a CD, it will always contain the activation code. I also save the activation e-mail from my purchase to a folder for each vendor.

--WH
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

.... and Flight One (I love them for their support and product) - two different methods of installing and this last four numbers of your CC, not such a great idea when you have used various cards over time and some of which you no longer have!
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I use the same technique WarHorse47 uses-- nested folders by SW mfg., with a text file containing needed activation details and codes. It's a pain to originally set up, but great once you have it and maintain it.

Kent

TeaSea: Zeros and the letters "Z" and "S" should have slashes through them to avoid confusion with "O", "2", and "5" respectively...A little trick from the Cold War-- where ambiguity was not an option!
    Last edited by ColoKent; December 8th, 2013 at 10:21.

I feel your pain.

I use KeePass as an ad hoc key database. Just create a new key for each developer (which then stores logon and password info) then list the item, date, purchase location (for support and download info), and reg key in the comments block. It's searchable, encrypted, available anywhere, anytime (via Firefox and Google drive), and copyable.

Conceptually you could create a key for each product too, and theoretically KeeFox would auto-populate your registration windows.

http://keepass.info/

--Dan
    Never trust a clean Crew Chief.

I create a text file from the e-mail with all the keys etc required and place that in a folder with the download which then goes into my archive folder on an external hd. I also place the e-mail in an Windows mail, backup folder called Roger's. So I'm pretty well covered and when I got my new pc all would be well reinstalling all my downloads. However some of my saved downloads were corrupt which meant a redownload from the vendor. No problem from all vendors except Fspilotshop who charge for a new download. I will never buy from them again.

So no matter how careful you might be, there is always someone out there willing and ready to make a buck out of your misfortune, but in my case just the one.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I save my activation codes in Word format in a sub folder in a folder called Microsoft Office Work. I call the folder FSX Registration Passwords.

I then burn the codes on to a CD. When I need to reformat my C: drive I save the My Documents folder to another partition along with other files I need to save and copy them back after I have completed the install. I do the same with the Users folder and when I copy back the necessary files I still have my email settings and things like that.
    Last edited by AussieMan; December 8th, 2013 at 13:02.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

As disorganized as I normally am, I've managed to keep reasonably good track of this stuff. I have a folder structure in my "fs_data" folder, into which all downloaded planes are organized by freeware/payware/ and vendor. Inside each payware plane folder I have a copy of the confirmation e-mail, and a text file with the activation code and anything else I think I should hold onto, like purchase order number, date purchased, username used to buy the plane, since that's usually an e-mail address, which changes over time.

EDIT: And, I have this stuff backup up between two computers and two external drives, so I ain't never gonna not loose this stuff!
    Last edited by PRB; December 8th, 2013 at 13:07.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

0 and O...yep, I do the little line thingy....got in the habit in the Army. Occasionally I get lazy.

KeyPass is my best friend, but the products I'm missing are older and yes, I can't remember who I bought them from. I also have activation codes, but can't find the installation software...same vendor mentioned above who charges for deactivation of the download. I do not blame them for that....my own fault.

I got most everything re-loaded though...

for you coders looking to make a buck, this would be a nice little utility to write up.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

When I make a purchase, not only do I save the email and order info, I also save the Paypal transaction and/or the credit card receipt. To add too the mix, I also take a screenshot of the transaction, and a screenshot of the registration info to tuck away along with the purchase.

Blog Entries
    My way is really simple....
    I just copy and paste each activation code to my code folder along with the make ( P51D, Corsair, Saber), manufacture ( Vertigo, Milviz, A2A.) then copy and paste the activation code, then refile into my external harddrive, where I keep the file for my payware downloads.....
    I also keep a copy of this information in my portable harddrive ( Cheap little walmart passport external harddrive), for my Laptop.....

Well, if one keeps his/her information only on the HDD (or SSD) the day it fails is goodbye for all that information. Better to put them at least on two of these: HDD/SSD, portable HDD, cloud HDD or paper. I have them (as well products themselves) always on three of thouse. Am I delusious?

Pekka

Blog Entries
    No you not.....Its always best to have enough backups.....
    I forgot to mention that I also have all the codes and downloads on a CD.....Its make for a nice backup to the other backups......

Yep, external storage.....the files I lost I lost in a crash, along with the receipts...

But, a funny thing happened on the way to the vendor's web site to purchase an additional download...I found the original files!!!

Had put some products on a thumb drive now delegated to the back of the desk drawer. The last two products I was missing. Frankly that was pure luck, but I'll take it anyway....
    Last edited by TeaSea; December 9th, 2013 at 15:37.