HMS Victorious circa 1960 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HMS Victorious circa 1960

More with the Sea Venom:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NewVic_03.jpg   NewVic_04.jpg  
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    More with the Sea Venom:
    With no FLOLS! :-O

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    With no FLOLS! :-O
    Technically it's not a FLOLS, it's a MOLS (Mirror Optical Landing System), hence the row of lights further aft to bounce off the concave vertical mirror. Not that I read a whole document on optical landing aids to figure out what to put there!

Love the new ship but I'm starting to think I made a mess of te install - that or I'm shooting a perfect approach every single time, I can't get the "meatball" to be anything other than centred perfectly between the green bars. This is if I don't use the RFN gauge, if I do use it I get no lights whatsoever regardless of how I fly the approach, once tunned in I get the course corrections on the ILS and the LSO voice works, no lights however.

Also might have found a slight typo in the read me?

There is no "RFN_Gauge.xml" in the RFN 4.1 pack so I've added the following lines* to the eng of "RFN_Carrier.xml".

<!--?xml version="1.0"?-->
    <carrier helo_distance="0"
    Helo_Bearing="0"
    Sim_Name_Helo="none"
    TCN_Zcoord="1.63"
    TCN_Ycoord="39.48"
    TCN_Xcoord="14.97"
    ILS_Zcoord="-55.0"
    ILS_Ycoord="13.00"
    ILS_Xcoord="-2.25"
    GS_Angle="3.6"
    RunwayAngle="8.0"
    Language="US"
    Frequency="117.20"
    CarrierType="1"
    Sim_Name="Victorious_1958"
    Name="HMS Victorious 1958"/>

Craig</carrier>
    Last edited by fallenphoenix1986; December 13th, 2013 at 14:55.
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

FLOLS or MOLS, I still haven't got it installed yet.

Tried my own mods to the the ealier Victorious RFN 4.1 xml entry - and also Craig's - but no show on the TACAN at 117.20 for some reason. Other boats work fine.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Got it! Did a reload of the entries in the d/l and that did the trick.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I had originally started posting that I couldnt get the frequency to apear, manaeged to eventually but it was out of sequence for some reason.

Craig
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Hi,

Norton nailed the installer, but the exe can be returned from the quarantine.

If I proceed with the installer, how do you use the HMS Victorius? Does it have certain location or does it have a traffic.bgl file to get running somewhere?

With aicarrier.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by MDIvey View Post
    Superb work as always Flying Stations.

Anyone know if there is a Blue and Yellow paint for the Alphasim Westland whirlwind to match the guard helicopter? and if so where to get it?

Matt
    Matt, I uploaded an earlier version of this S-55 to Avsim I think, a couple of years ago, but it's not there any more. I can send it to you if you like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S-55.jpg  
    Norwich, a fine city.

There were some discussions about the British bringing back the standard carriers for the F-35. This thread prompted my curiosity. What's the status of that?

Ken

Back to this work -- stunning! I love the detail of if and frankly I've always had a love crush on the design and functionality of these RN carriers and their aircraft, and this piece of work captures it all magnificently!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhawk_310R View Post
    There were some discussions about the British bringing back the standard carriers for the F-35. This thread prompted my curiosity. What's the status of that?

Ken
    The government officially made a Uturn fromSTOVL to CTOL then a year or so latter made another Uturn back to STOVL. They then turned around and asked why the cost went up - dunno maybe something to do with screwing the contractors around for over a year and having them undertake a series of pointless design studies - open up new supply chains and redirect the construction shedule for (ultimately) no reason whatsoever and then having them work it all back in reverse to get back to where they were before Mr Politician stuck his ignorant nose in.... Rant over....

Craig

edit:
    Oh yeah - Mr Politician then decided to make another swing of the defence cut axe to recoup the costs of the aformentioned screw up...
    Last edited by fallenphoenix1986; December 15th, 2013 at 13:57.

They then turned around and asked why the cost went up
    To be fair the contract was for a carrier that could be converted to take cats and traps so it's not unreasonable to ask why having it done was apparently going to double the cost of the ships...

Granted a redesign was required in places however the simple act of screwing up the production timeline added hundreds of millions to the price, case in point you're having your kitchen renovated; mid way through you tell your contractor to stop and order/install different appliances in different locations and you want tiled walls instead of paint, he goes away orders a new oven/fridge/freezer/whatever, comes up with new arangements and returns in two weeks, you then tell him not to bother and go back to what was originaly planned - would you expect the contractor to stick to the original price? Or will he bill you for the time, effort and expenses incurred by the homeowner meddling in his plan?

The ships could have been fitted out CTOL - but noone ever said you would be able to do it at the drop of a hat, additional hardware displaces existing arangements and power distribution would be radically affected - still possible though.

Craig

Sorry if I'm a bit sharp on this but I was involved in fixing some of that mess IRL.
    Last edited by fallenphoenix1986; December 15th, 2013 at 14:14.

At the prices BAE charge I'd expect the things to be gold plated, but then I'm generally cynical about anything they tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by fallenphoenix1986 View Post
    Granted a redesign was required in places however the simple act of screwing up the production timeline added hundreds of millions to the price, case in point you're having your kitchen renovated; mid way through you tell your contractor to stop and order/install different appliances in different locations and you want tiled walls instead of paint, he goes away orders a new oven/fridge/freezer/whatever, comes up with new arangements and returns in two weeks, you then tell him not to bother and go back to what was originaly planned - would you expect the contractor to stick to the original price? Or will he bill you for the time, effort and expenses incurred by the homeowner meddling in his plan?

The ships could have been fitted out CTOL - but noone ever said you would be able to do it at the drop of a hat, additional hardware displaces existing arangements and power distribution would be radically affected - still possible though.

Craig

Sorry if I'm a bit sharp on this but I was involved in fixing some of that mess IRL.
    Shame you cannot design your politicians as well as your aircraft carriers! Then again, you don't exactly have a monopoly on that sort of stuff!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by fallenphoenix1986 View Post

Craig

Off course in this example the kitchen contractor is being paid a minimum fee every year whether or not he fits a kitchen, in which case I'd expect a bit of flexibility. Not blaming you but having read the Haddon-Cave report I don't trust BAE's management as far as I can throw them.

On demand I have zipped up the Fairey Gannet AEW.3 "423" 849 NAS Victorious repaint. Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Thank you very much.

Members who have read this thread: 102