A-7 Corsair pictures from Facebook

Thread: A-7 Corsair pictures from Facebook

A-7 Corsair pictures from Facebook

These pictures are from a Facebook forum I belong to. SLUF fans might appreciate seeing these......NC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Nice pics!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Another one from today.... This one was taken of work being done on a A-7 at Cubi Point, PI. Never been there myself, but always wanted to go. But I remember well being underneath those birds, taking off panels.

I was stuck on the East Coast. NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Cool NATC with 3 different types in the pic, including my fav...Tomcat.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Go Ordies! Am not sure, but think this was on the Oriskany.....NC .

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

" Go Ordies! Am not sure, but think this was on the Oriskany.....NC"

Thanks NC . Now I have my back ache again thinking about the good old days
    . My MOS was 6511 (Aviation Ordnance) in the Corps and "humped" many bombs , rockets(2.75 and 5" Zuni's) . Also cut the s--t out of my hands on the 20mm belts loading and unloading on the F8"s

Have a great Day . Got to batten down the hatches later on today we might get a few storms coming from the west .

Rich (Great Pics)

A nice closeup

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gspFeIMLKws.jpg  

Photos from Facebook today:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

If someone could explain the shape/visual differences between the Vought F-8 Crusader and the Vought A-7 Corsair? To me,...they look identical twins. In fact,...I think I'd have to take a class just in trying to tell the two apart.
    Which flew first? What were their strengths and weaknesses in comparing the two together?
    Was one more successful as a pure combat aircraft than the other one?
    Which airicraft stayed in service the longest?
    Thank you!
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by brad kaste View Post
    If someone could explain the shape/visual differences between the Vought F-8 Crusader and the Vought A-7 Corsair? To me,...they look identical twins. In fact,...I think I'd have to take a class just in trying to tell the two apart.
    Which flew first? What were their strengths and weaknesses in comparing the two together?
    Thank you!
    I am sure other USN vets will respond to your questions, but here are some brief answers. Both aircraft were made by Vought. The F-8 came before the A-7. The F-8 was designed as a fighter aircraft. The A-7 was an attack aircraft. They do look similar but put pictures of them side by side, and you will see differences. The
    F-8 finished its service with the USN as a reconnaissance aircraft, I believe. The A-7 was retired completely by the Greek Air Force in 2014, I think. The USN retired them around 1991. The F-8 was retired in 1987. A quick explanation, but easy to find the information, and others will respond, I'm sure. NC

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    I saw the A7 about a year ago at NAS Fallon. It was flight of 6 from the AZ Boneyard ReGen. I think they might have been using them as aggressor surprise for the Marines and AF. Navy is well known for tossing surprise's out and on the Range.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    I saw the A7 about a year ago at NAS Fallon. It was flight of 6 from the AZ Boneyard ReGen. I think they might have been using them as aggressor surprise for the Marines and AF. Navy is well known for tossing surprise's out and on the Range.
    Wow! I had no idea there were any SLUFS still airworthy! NC

Have to wonder if there are any pictures available of these aircraft?

I too remember turning those F-8's around with another upload of 20MM, Zunis and Winders on the F8-C. Had to use my speed handle to open the side access panels to the guns and some one would load
    a can of ammo above where the guns were and slide the belt of 20MM down the feed chute. Then you armed the gun(s) by hooking up the feed mech and connect the ready safe air connectors and the
    the 28VDC electrical connector to the gun (Armed). Before all that, you had to unbutton the brass bay panel located forward just below where the guns were and put your hands deep inside the brass bay
    and pull out all the empty 20mm brass into a large bag that the Paraloft guys made for us, we just dumped the brass over the side of the ship. While in the Gulf of Tonkin this went on Saturdays, Sundays and always.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    " Go Ordies! Am not sure, but think this was on the Oriskany.....NC"

Thanks NC . Now I have my back ache again thinking about the good old days
    . My MOS was 6511 (Aviation Ordnance) in the Corps and "humped" many bombs , rockets(2.75 and 5" Zuni's) . Also cut the s--t out of my hands on the 20mm belts loading and unloading on the F8"s

Have a great Day . Got to batten down the hatches later on today we might get a few storms coming from the west .

Rich (Great Pics)

Quote Originally Posted by brad kaste View Post
    Thank you!
    F-8: slim and pointy. A-7: stubby and roundy ...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Agree NC, I was sure all of them are in the boneyard with only the Greeks recently putting theirs to bed after many years of faithful service. I can only assume these might be around for the still flying F-117, as most know, the SLUF was used as a trainer for early F-117 pilots. The other idea would be one of the civilian adversary companies purchasing them, but that doesn't make sense as one of them is trying to purchase older F-16As to simulate more modern threat aircraft. Another company plans to purchase the remaining Jordanian F-5s. All the current airframes flown (A-4,L-39/159, Hunter, Kfir,AJet) are easy to maintain, one would think an A-7 would require slightly more ground support.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Another fine VA-83 Rampager picture from Facebook today:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rammies.jpg  

For NC and the other SLUF drivers, repainter A. Diaz has released several packs of FSX high and low viz paints covering USN squadrons for the base (non-TP) Razbam Corsair II. Find them on flightsim.com
    NWC
    PMTC
    VA-12
    VA-15
    VA-22 and special camo OP Praying Mantis
    VA-27
    VA-37
    VA-56
    VA-66
    VA-72
    VA-81
    VA-82
    VA-83
    VA-86
    VA-87
    VA-93
    VA-94
    VA-97
    VA-105
    VA-113
    VA-122
    VA-146
    VA-147
    VA-174
    VA-192
    VA-195
    VA-204
    VA-205
    VA-303
    VA-304
    VX-5
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Appreciate the heads up about A. Diaz's efforts/contributions! I downloaded a couple of of them; nice paints! My personal preference, however, is the HiViz paint scheme. Nothing against Antonio's talents! I just like the more colorful HiViz paints!

NC

Man, some of those pictures, while great, scare the heck outtta me.
    We used to call the SLUF the Great White. They probably didn't eat more people than any other plane on the boat, but they had the rep. I stayed the heck away from those planes, especially the front of them. That big, gaping, low placed, intake just looks like it wants to eat someone.
    Anyway, thanks for some great pictures!
    Pat☺

A paint of VA-153 "Blue Flies" I have never seen. NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A-7A 153191 NM300 VA-153 - 5.jpg  

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Nice picture there Chief. Love NavAir Birds with the Bi-Centennial 76 on the tail. She must been assigned to the USS FDR not TR I assume.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Nice picture there Chief. Love NavAir Birds with the Bi-Centennial 76 on the tail. She must been assigned to the USS FDR not TR I assume.
    Undoubtedly. I found the picture on Facebook, and from what little information I could find, that tail symbol was for a brief period only. NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A-7.jpg