Runway Friction Utility

Thread: Runway Friction Utility

Charter Member 2015

Runway Friction Utility

FSPS? No thanks much ado about nothing...
    Anneke

FSX is much better than FS9 in this regard. However not perfect. My main beef was with skis and snow, and water hydrodynamics for sea planes. Neither are done well at all. Snow on skis actually has a lot of resistance if it has any depth. In FSX one cannot even park except on a perfectly level surface on snow and not have the plane slide away. They more modeled a smooth surface groomed with a Zamboni!

taxi thrust? In the real planes we use what we need.

t

So what's your point?
    Anneke

The point is, probably, about the first post in this thread, and not specifically the second. That is, a discussion about how FSX models runway friction, which is interesting to some people.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

You can't 'stop' a plane on skis because it doesn't have brakes (ie: wheels) or any other 'aid' (ie: spoiler). Put in type 1 (gear) contact points and you will not only have brakes, but differential brakes AND parking brake. The 'resistance' of snow is purely imaginary. It's the contact points that determine how skis 'work' on snow. You can use spoiler (max drag) to hold or slow plane on skis. The bottom line is that you need to work on those things yourself. Same goes for water 'hydrodynamics' (?) in that they also involve the contact points (floats) and the spoiler (for 'brakes'). But don't depend on modelers to provide the mods or updates. You have to do it yourself. You can set the contact points where your ski plane won't move, even if downhill, even at full power.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Paul, I guessed that and althoug a discussion about the inner workings of FSX is interesting, this topic is about a friction tool. AndI'm interested about the working of that utility.
    Anneke

I'm interested in this utility also. As far as I can tell, FSX doesn't model RCR or RSC at all, it would be great if this utility added that.

FSPS SimPhysics X has a runway friction component, is this a stand alone version or a separate system?

Will it interface with or conflict with Accu-feel?

I would be very happy to find a method of keeping the LC-130 stopped on the ice without modding the acft.cfg for brakes.

--Dan
    Never trust a clean Crew Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Anneke View Post
    Paul, I guessed that and althoug a discussion about the inner workings of FSX is interesting, this topic is about a friction tool. AndI'm interested about the working of that utility.
    I am also interested in what the other person posted. His information is based upon reality. To directly challenge him posting that was particularly objectionable. A nicer member than me tried to offer you a gentle input about that and you chose to ignore it. So, I shall be less gentle,

You sir, were rude!

Ken

I seem to remember Pete Dowson (of FSUIPC fame) had a LUA app that addressed runway friction in FSX about 1 year ago. Darned if I understood it though.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhawk_310R View Post
    So, I shall be less gentle, You sir, were rude!
    I'm not your sir. And it was not meant harsh.
    Anneke

Whoa! Anyway back on track, I was rather hoping my post would have sparked some informed input on the LUA and FSUIPC - I 'm finding bits and pieces at Avsim etc but no coherent thread. Anyone?
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

From what I know the newer versions of FSUIPC have the friction mods included by default. Not sure if you need a registered version for them to work though.

Besides being a jet pilot, I also have been a ski and float plane pilot for even longer! I haven't tried this app, but if one could (don't think it is in there yet) model snow and ski operations it would be great. Generally on skis we do not operate off of packed surfaces and the landing "rolls" tend not to be much longer than on firm surfaces with wheels with light braking. The takeoffs are usually longer. Landing on glaciers, which I have done, depend a lot on using slope to reduce the landing run and also the takeoff run. Generally about a 10% slope is optimal. Skis on icy ramps can be downright scary, sometimes you have to cut the engine at the right moment to come to a stop! Deep snow by contrast you can actually be stuck! I have had to get out the snowshoes and pack a runway to depart on more than one occasion!

Cheers: T
    Last edited by fliger747; December 8th, 2013 at 14:23. Reason: spln

I had the interesting experience of taking off in a Piper Archer from a grass strip that had not been mowed within a week or two just last month.

I had just topped off the tanks, had 2500 feet of runway, another guy in the seat next to me, and about 1500 feet into the roll suddenly realized that if I didn't get anymore speed up I had about five seconds more before I would have to abort or risk the fence.

Normally I'm well on my way in 1000 feet.

fortunately I realized all I needed was a notch of flap to lighten the nose, which I gave it, and it speeded up immediately. Still took another 500 feet or so. Little closer than I liked. Big difference with that grass.

We were not physically at risk you understand, but it would have been the taxi of shame to abort and make my way back for another go.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Charter Member 2015
    I was hoping it would deal more with tire effects as they hit the runway, and track more where the tires want to go and less dealing with flight effects.

Hope I explained that correctly.

David

The lateral friction and directional stability are not strong points of the sim, but FSX is an improvement on FS9. Skis are quite hard to get to slide sideways on any surface except glare ice.

Be interesting to get any users reports on this! T

Charter Member 2015
    Well I bought it and it dose support side motion so that can be adjusted. Plus roll and breaking, and you can adjust these areas for wet, dry and snow and on all surfaces. So you can make it so your aircraft will get all but stuck if you go onto grass!!! So far the only dislikeable part is you have to adjust it in windows mode??????? This review is made after only 1/2 hour of plying with it.

I guess for 13.00 USD!?

David
    Last edited by Pepere; December 13th, 2013 at 10:44.

Members who have read this thread: 109