Terrain lighting issue (lit from the wrong direction)

Thread: Terrain lighting issue (lit from the wrong direction)

Terrain lighting issue (lit from the wrong direction)

Hey all

So just been playing around various settings in P3D v2.0 and it seems that there's a major bug with terrain lighting/shadowing.

With Tess Off i get the standard CPU FSX/ESP terrain lighting/shadows no problems

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tess_Off.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	233.1 KB 
ID:	936

Now with Tess On (but with GPU Terrain shadows cast/receive set to off) lighting is now coming from about 130 degrees clockwise of the sun???????

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tess_On.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	937

Now this just might be an ATI/AMD driver issue (im running a 7970 with the latest amd catalyst 13.11 beta v9.4) so if anyone with NV hardware can check this out id be grateful,at least i'll know who to report the issue to then (LM or AMD)

Cheers
    Gizmo

I may be getting that on my machine, I'll have to check later. The times I've noticed it it seems to be the moon casting shadows in the opposite direction to the sun before it's really set. Running a 7750 so it may be an AMD thing?

I didn't make the test as you did, but nevertheless I noticed that lighting issue in my virtual cockpit shadows.
    I was flying directly towards the sun, and the lighting was coming from the side/behind.
    And when I was flying with the sun behind me, I noticed the shadow of the reticle cast on my windshield, just as is the sun were in front of me.
    I have made just one test though, and that was after playing with the "time preview" function... I don't know if this has any influence...
    I'm running an NVidia GTX480.

I've been following all the issues at Avsim. There is a lot more info on P3D v2 there.

Read this lighting issues here...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/427299-...rrain-shadows/

From LM...

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?min...ewtopic&t=3963

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Hey guys

Thanks for the replies and links,good to know that LM are looking into it looks like its Tess off for now

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I hadn't changed my settings much in V2, so I guess I didn't get this error. Good find. Lets hope that is fixed in the update.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Other than shadows in the VC I turned all shadows off as far too costly and buildings shadows are needing to be fixed for other issues anyway (if I remember correctly).

Also have tessellation off (also too costly) - lose 3D water though.

I have 3 monitors so to turn the P3D goodies on will need a new GPU.
    Last edited by P38man; December 1st, 2013 at 14:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    I hadn't changed my settings much in V2, so I guess I didn't get this error. Good find. Lets hope that is fixed in the update.

Bill
    Do we know for sure there is an update coming?
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Members who have read this thread: 21