Riding high...

Thread: Riding high...

Riding high...

I have a couple of planes, one of them is the Yak-9p by Thicko, which sit with the landing gear about 6 inches to a foot off the ground. Rami tells me there is a fix for that. Does anyone know it? Thanks in advance.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    I have a couple of planes, one of them is the Yak-9p by Thicko, which sit with the landing gear about 6 inches to a foot off the ground. Rami tells me there is a fix for that. Does anyone know it? Thanks in advance.
    I think I have that one with the fix already applied. I'll look for it.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

You can try this.

in the cfg file change

static_cg_height= 6.122056

to

static_cg_height= 5.5

if thats too low then go up to 5.7. higher than that and you be back at the same point.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    You can try this.

in the cfg file change

static_cg_height= 6.122056

to

static_cg_height= 5.5

if thats too low then go up to 5.7. higher than that and you be back at the same point.
    I tried 5.5 and 5.3, each time deleting the .cdp but still no-go. It seems closer but still not on the runway,
    "De Oppresso Liber"

yeah i when as far as 4.6 and its still above the ground. I thought that i had the corrected files already but i havent located them yet.

i'll try it at 4. it might be a model issue. if you editing the CFG you don't have to delete the cdp.

Hi Shadow Wolf Have you tried editing the contact points for the gear? Those are the ones that say 'point.n=1'. The up/down value in relation to the centre of the model (not necessarily the same as the CoG - bit like the dp file) is the third value after that i.e. the fourth value in the list e,g point.0 = 1 [landing gear], -15.1719 [forward/aft], 0 [left/right], -2.3200, [up/down value] Cheers BuV

static_cg_height= is use for when the aircraft is a static object and at the start of the mission so the game has ruff idea how hight the aircraft is. After than [contact_points] are used.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

this might help as well...

ADJUSTING AIRCRAFT HEIGHT ON RUNWAY
    You'll find it's the contact points in the aircraft.cfg file.
    If you go into the cfg file and the [contact points] section the first three points (0,1,2) are the undercarriage contact points.
    Within each set of numbers the first three are the points at which the undercarriage touch the ground.
    Point.0 will either be a tail wheel (with a tail dragger) or a nose wheel (if like a P38 etc etc).
    Point.1 is the port or left hand uc info
    Point.2 is the starboard or right hand uc.
    The number classifications are: (see below)
    //0 Class
    //1 Longitudinal Position (feet)
    //2 Lateral Position (feet)
    //3 Vertical Position (feet)
    //4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute)
    //5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)
    //6 Wheel Radius (feet)
    //7 Steer Angle (degrees)
    //8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid)
    //9 Max/Static Compression Ratio
    //10 Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)
    //11 Extension Time (seconds)
    //12 Retraction Time (seconds)
    //13 Sound Type
    point.0=1.0, -33, 0.0, (-6.2), 2000.0, 0.0, 0.60, 45.96, 0.51, 2.5, 0.5, 5.0, 5.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
    point.1=1.0, 5.2, -8.58, (-8.7), 2000.0, 1.0, 1.60, 0.0, 0.84, 2.5, 0.80, 7.0, 13.0, 2.0, 0.0, 0.0
    point.2=1.0, 5.2, 8.58, (-8.7), 2000.0, 2.0, 1.60, 0.0, 0.84, 2.5, 0.80, 5.0, 9.0, 3.0, 0.0, 0.0
    So, above you would need to change the figures in the fourth set ie -6.2, -8.7 and -8.7 to change the wheel contact points. All these figures are points below the central datum point, in feet.
    So you would have to reduce them to bring the ac closer to the ground (if ac sits too high)
    - OR-
    you need to increase them (equal amounts on each) to take the contact point further away and raise the ac up.
    If you save a copy of your ac.cfg file(s) and then try modding each up or down as neccessary, save and re-load the ac you should be able to get rid of their 'bad habits'.
    If not these then it may be the additional 'scrape points' which come into play when you crash land/land without uc. If the above does not work then we'll take a look at the other contact points.
    Shessi

Bearcat sez...
    The main culprit in this "dropping" experience is the static height. If your aircraft drops and sits just right on the surface, the actual contact points are OK, but the static height is too high. The model is actually dropping down to the correct contact point values:
    static_pitch = 0
    static_cg_height = 4.21
    Lower this in tenths incrementally until the aircraft loads flush with the surface and stops dropping.
    The best way is to load the aircraft in FF and pause it immediately as soon as the screen opens from blank black to 2D panel view -- don't wait one second longer or the plane will drop.
    This will pause the aircraft in its floating position so you can externally see the amount of height to correct.
    Then minimize the screen and make adjustments in the cfg.
    Now maximize the screen again, hit 'Alt+A+A+Enter' and reload the aircraft again and keep it "paused".
    Every time you follow these steps the aircraft will reload frozen in pause and show the changes in height.
    Do this until there's no more distance between the wheels and the surface.
    But if you go too far and the wheels are too "dug-in", the model will now began to "bounce" up to the contact points values.
    When you do this correctly, then you can fine tune the contact points as Shessi suggests if the tires have the look of being almost "deflated" as the model sits on the surface.
    BTW, a bit off-topic, but for those new to dp editing, the procedure i showed above for managing the screen view and making positional changes in the cfg is the same method i use for making positional changes in the dp. In dp work, this method only works for adjusting locations of weapons and gunflashes. For changing weapon types and effects like exhaust flames, you'll need to exit the sim completely and reload before using the new mods.

Blue Devil sez...
    static_pitch = 2.6
    static_cg_height = 4.21
    Don,t neglect "static_pitch" either, ...
    This sets the initial ground angle.
    When loaded, ...The A/C should settle from round tires touching the ground, ...down to squished tires (1/3 to 1/2 sidewall height) w/o any pitching.

I tried adjusting KWB737's numbers up and down but no joy. Bloodhawk: I'll try to decipher yours after my afternoon nap
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    I tried adjusting KWB737's numbers up and down but no joy. Bloodhawk: I'll try to decipher yours after my afternoon nap

That comes from a readme doc that was available at LW's site. actually it comes from an old post from here which was made into a readme doc.