GAS Boeing Model 40

Thread: GAS Boeing Model 40

GAS Boeing Model 40

I really love this aircraft in FS9, so I just got it for FSX. Unfortunately, I cannot start it from a cold start.

I've followed the standard startup procedure, but the engine doesn't turn over no matter what I do.

In order to start, I have to load another aircraft - startup - then switch back. I also discovered if I load another aircraft - startup - shutdown with Ctrl+F1, then switch back I can do a startup with the Model 40.

I'm perplexed as to what configuration I have with my standard cold start is affecting the Model 40. I have no problems with any other aircraft, and I cannot see any special gauge that might be interfering.

I be perplexed...
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    I really love this aircraft in FS9, so I just got it for FSX. Unfortunately, I cannot start it from a cold start.

I've followed the standard startup procedure, but the engine doesn't turn over no matter what I do.

In order to start, I have to load another aircraft - startup - then switch back. I also discovered if I load another aircraft - startup - shutdown with Ctrl+F1, then switch back I can do a startup with the Model 40.

I'm perplexed as to what configuration I have with my standard cold start is affecting the Model 40. I have no problems with any other aircraft, and I cannot see any special gauge that might be interfering.

I be perplexed...

If your default cold start flight has the fuel valve in the off position it may effect the model I would suggest starting the default Cessna switching to the B 40 and creating a cold start default flight for that model and saving it. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/65340-planes-wont-start/ I have never understood why some folks experience this problem and others do not. I suspect its individual settings.

No. I'm afraid it is much deeper than just the fuel control switch.

I tend to do things the hard way. Basically, I have set the various parameters in my default flight to =FALSE to shut everything off. The only entry I can find for the fuel pump is this one: FuelPumpSwitch=False. I changed that to =TRUE, and the Model 40 still does not start. The engine doesn't even attempt to turn over.

The next thing I did was to switch to another airplane which was the GAS Stearman. The Stearman starts with Ctrl-E and shuts down with Ctrl-Shft-F1. Then I switched back to the Model 40 and had no problems using the same commands for start and shutdown. I then saved my flight specific to the Model 40. I then closed and restarted FSX, and picked the new flight for the Model 40 and still no joy.

Bottom line is that the Model 40 will not perform a cold start unless I switch from another aircraft. The other option of course is to create a flight with the engine running.
    -- WH

Try using Ctrl-Shift-F4 to open the fuel valves...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Try using Ctrl-Shift-F4 to open the fuel valves...
    I did. No joy. I'm now using a saved flight with engine running.
    -- WH

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    I did. No joy. I'm now using a saved flight with engine running.

There is fuel in the tank when you call up the aircraft, right ??

Yep, tanks are full.

I should add that the engine does not even turn over.

With a cold start, I should be able to start with Ctrl+E. I can see the battery and starter switches flip and the clock is working, but nothing but silence.

Because of the difference in many addon a/c, my default flight also has the generator/alternator set off so I have a hot key to turn that on. Regardless, there is no response from the Model 40.

There has got to be some setting in my default flight that I am overlooking, or something in one of the gauges that is the cause. Perhaps something in the aircraft.cfg engine parameters?? Just typing out loud.
    -- WH

Giving up on this one!!

Well, I'm getting really discouraged with this plane.

I recently purchased another payware aircraft that would not start unless I setup my default flight with the default Cessna. So now that my default flight has the default Cessna in a cold and dark mode, no problem.

Using the same default flight with the default Cessna, I still cannot start the Boeing Model 40 from a cold and dark mode. Ctrl-E does not work, and neither does the standard startup procedure. In fact if I even try the standard startup procedure, the motor does not even turn over. The start button does nothing except wave at me.
    -- WH

Problem solved

Well, I decided to try one more time. After an hour of experimenting through process of elimination and comparing aircraft.cfg parameters with other aircraft, I found a solution.

The solution is to double the battery and generator amperage under the [electrical] section.

[electrical]
    max_battery_voltage = 24 //12
    generator_alternator_voltage = 28 //14

Now, why the original voltages do not work on my install is a mystery to me. If anyone knows the answer, feel free to let me know.

Thanks
    -- WH

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I have this aircraft and have no problems at all. I have not altered the cfg file and have no problems starting the aircraft from a cold start which is my default setting.

My start up [rocedure is as follows:

Battery on.
    Mags to both.
    Mixture to full rich.
    Throttle to approx 10%.
    Then hit the starter switch. Engine fires every time.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Anyone have this running in P3D v4?

LouP