PMDG DC-6... It's alive ! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PMDG DC-6... It's alive !

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Yes I have, but my question was more like: "how will it compare with an Accusim bird" ?
    I understood they made a precise modelling of the engine behavior, but there isn't anything about "aging" engine, so I'm just curious. This could well be my very first PMDG purchase
    I am absolutely sure you won't be dissapointed, Daube !

I have the PMDG 737, 747 and 777 and there's nothing that can be compared. They are the quintessence of "It's lonely at the top". Although i'm not that much of a tubeliner fan really, i just can't withstand top quality. Must say the CS T7 is a true competitor, maybe even more, when it comes to eyecandy. That thing is a feast for the eyes, both inside and out.
    The PMDG DC-6 is going to be Propliner Simmer's Heaven !! It's got to be ! And it better be !! I'm not waiting for more than 3 years now for anything less !

Cheers,
    jan

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Cough Cough, Ifly with there 737 and 747 certainly cant be left out. Both support FS9 thru FSX and P3D. A true Freedom of Choice in Payware with respect to those in Fs9 and FSX and P3D.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    Hope that's the case. Managing a DC-6 isn't exactly fodder for FS2Crew (unless Bryan York decides to go in a completely different direction). But some degree of crew assist would be... well, definitely helpful, and maybe required.
    Agreed! I tried FS2Crew many moons ago, can't remember much of it, maybe only that i thought it was pretty complex.... Really love the way A2A implemented 'a crew' in their amazing B-17 model. Not only a great help in flying her but the crew's voices are also the best i have ever heard in FS and add a lot to the immersion (atleast IMHO it usually is the other way around...). I am certainly not going to count on being welcomed 'B-17's wise' when i enter the DC-6 cockpit but boy! would i love it !

On the other hand, should it turn out we're going to be all alone upthere in that superb looking VC afterall, i certainly wouldn't mind putting everything else aside and spend all my simming time on trying to fly this beautiful beast by the book just as long as 'the book' comes with it. Can't wait to learn all about mastering those awesome Double Wasps !

cheers,
    jan

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Cough Cough, Ifly with there 737 and 747 certainly cant be left out. Both support FS9 thru FSX and P3D. A true Freedom of Choice in Payware with respect to those in Fs9 and FSX and P3D.
    I have the Ifly 737, certainly very nice indeed, but this is all about PMDG....

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Received an email from FSPilot shop this morning promoting the PMDG B777-200. Was thinking of buying it until then. Quickly lost interest when I looked at the price.

No FS aircraft is worth $US100. If that is the price tag on the 777 then I can imagine a similar price tag on the DC-6.

As an aged pensioner on a very limited income I will be sticking with the AH/JF DC-6 no matter how good the PMDG one is.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Received an email from FSPilot shop this morning promoting the PMDG B777-200. Was thinking of buying it until then. Quickly lost interest when I looked at the price.

No FS aircraft is worth $US100. If that is the price tag on the 777 then I can imagine a similar price tag on the DC-6.

As an aged pensioner on a very limited income I will be sticking with the AH/JF DC-6 no matter how good the PMDG one is.

First and foremost...I'm looking forward to the DC-6, and glad to see that it really is in development!

Second, to address the above, PMDG is charging both what the market will support, and their 737 and 777 addons are hot sellers despite the price, so...the market is willing to support those costs. In addition, their current Boeing products are licensed by Boeing, and produced in cooperation with them, so that is a very significant part of the cost as well. As we don't know the licensing situation with the DC-6, it's hard to say how much it would be, but I would be surprised if it was over $60-70 mark due to the niche nature of the product (many vocal simmers seems to be die-hard jetliner-only fans), and I do not suspect that any licensing costs would warrant a higher price in this case. Again, hard to say, but I do not suspect that it'll be over what I am estimating above. They cant' accomodate the financial state of all simulation users, and just as I would pass on investing in a Lamborghini at the current time, many of us may have to pass on investing in another high-end addon to this hobby.

Hopefully we'll see a plethora of third-party repaints available upon release!

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    As SeanTK claims that PMDG are charging what the market will support may I be so bold to ask just how many people on limited or fixed incomes can support $100 for an FS aircraft.

By the time I do my fortnightly shopping, make a fortnightly payment on my electricity and phone bills and put petrol in my car I am left with about $150 to last me for the fortnight. It does not include the extra petrol I need if I am called to my Fire Control Centre to do communications, a weekend roster for the same as well as training and the extras required to visit relatives as well as buy birthday and Christmas gifts for my grandchildren. Oh and don't forget my required medication.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    As SeanTK claims that PMDG are charging what the market will support may I be so bold to ask just how many people on limited or fixed incomes can support $100 for an FS aircraft.

By the time I do my fortnightly shopping, make a fortnightly payment on my electricity and phone bills and put petrol in my car I am left with about $150 to last me for the fortnight. It does not include the extra petrol I need if I am called to my Fire Control Centre to do communications, a weekend roster for the same as well as training and the extras required to visit relatives as well as buy birthday and Christmas gifts for my grandchildren. Oh and don't forget my required medication.
    AussieMan, let me start out by emphasizing that I appreciate all you do on this forum, so my following comments are ABSOLUTELY not meant to be personal, and are made with all due respect to your accomplishments. That said however, pricing issues do not seem to be very complicated to me:

1. Businesses choose to price their products as they see fit-- and the market will determine if the business priced it "correctly" or not.
    2. The good news is, as a consumer, you get to make the decision whether to buy products or not.

Seems like a straightforward arrangement to me...It is not a hard assumption to make that PMDG has a HUGE investment in development time in every model they produce and update due to the rather extreme level of systems and FDE modeling. As a result, I am certain that the price reflects what Robert thought is required to cover his fixed and project costs, and make some profit.

Again, I recognize (and sympathize) with the irritation when we see something we want that we believe is "overpriced" (the 2015 Porsche Cayman GTS comes to mind for me...)

Regards,

Kent

Wouldn't you think it's a bit premature to start worrying about the price of the PMDG DC-6 ? We (DC-6 afficionados) have been sitting in the briefing room for more then 3 years. Like Tim said, already when the project was announced 3 years ago the screenshots looked like the project might've been atleast at beta stage, maybe a month or two before release..... Yeah, right !

This latest announcement again sort of promises a 'coming to your (XP) theatre soon' but i have learned my lesson. I'd say worry about the price once you can click on the pay button...

Besides, Pat, somewhere in Mr.Randazzo's latest comments about the DC-6 he says that PMDG is certainly not looking for to get awfully rich with this project. Remember it's a 'testbed', both on account of it being PMDG's first vintage propliner and X-Plane compatible. I have a hunge the price will be very moderate, certainly compared to their regular line of super detailed jetliners.

Btw, if you want an exquisit rendition of a 777, one that can stand proudly in the shadow of the PMDG 777, and, modeling/texturing wise, can even taxi out of that shadow, and you don't want to spend a hundred bucks on it, go with the Captainsim 777. The base pack is only $29.99 atm, an absolute bargain for such superb high quality.

http://www.captainsim.com/store/x777_index.html

cheers,
    jan