PMDG DC-6... It's alive ! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PMDG DC-6... It's alive !

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    One could ponder about the fact that the current FSX DC-2 model is already too much nearing PMDG quality for PMDG to warrant a new project like that. I think the same goes for the freeware DC-3 model.
    That's only in light of my 2cents, of course.
    Thanks Jan, we dit our best, you know all about it!
    Cheers, Rob
    (who will collect his beer next week ;-) )
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Finally another sign of life: PMDG Forum

The biggest news is probably the fact that the DC-6 will be released first for X-Plane. But the FSX version shall follow shortly. I'm just happy that the project is still going strong after all these years of silence. And it's sounds very promising...almost a little bit like Accusim

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Good news. If it runs on P3D, I'll get it right away!

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

I'm really curious to see what level of "realism" this aircraft will get.

Great news! At least we have some news...

Impressive, but what worries me is all that complexity without an A2A-Captain of the Ship-style crew assist. It's going to be a handful. I'm probably just reflecting my biases but I stayed away from the A2A 377 'til the crew came along, and I'm not sure how eager I am to cope with three flight-deck jobs on my own...
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Holy Moly, Tim!! You nearly gave me a heart attack!!

Sjeeezzz, this news is really the only reason why i visit the Avsim/PMDG forum just about every day ( for about 3 years.... ) and here you come beating me to it ! I guess you must've done pretty much the same, haven't you !

Despite the great news and particularly the amazing VC screenies i couldn't help letting out a sigh too..... Here PMDG have us FSX propliner afficionados waiting for 3 years for news about their exiting DC-6 project and now it is finally presented all of a sudden X-Plane is the word...

Can understand they want to develop for as many serious flightsim platforms as possible but why has my ever most anticipated flightsim model got to be the XP testbed ! It's not fair !!

Didn't know about the difference in fps clickpots mean between FSX and XP though.... Talking about that, 'a little bit like Accusim' might turn out to be an understatement, Tim.... ;-)

I tried X-Plane a few times, never could get into it, but i sure can't live with the fact that the PMDG DC-6 is outthere and i'm not flying it !
    Anyway, thanks a lot for the HU, Tim ! Despite the, for me, totally unexpected X-Plane trick, sure made my day !!

Tchüss!
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    Impressive, but what worries me is all that complexity without an A2A-Captain of the Ship-style crew assist. It's going to be a handful. I'm probably just reflecting my biases but I stayed away from the A2A 377 'til the crew came along, and I'm not sure how eager I am to cope with three flight-deck jobs on my own...
    I have a hunge they won't let us master this beautiful beast all on our own, Alan. This of course is quite a different kettle of fish compared to the, as RR calls it himself, "Gear Up/LNAV/VNAV" simulations that PMDG has released thru the years. Surely they must have checked out the A2A COTS 377 and B-17 which, because of the crew simulation, are quite pleasant and more or less easy to fly. I, for one, would be very much surprised if we didn't find such an option, or atleast something similar, for us to choose with PMDG DC-6. During atleast 3 years of development a LOT can be achieved !

Cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I'm really curious to see what level of "realism" this aircraft will get.
    Did you read Rob Randazzo's comments ?

In many ways a very different type of project from some of the late generation jets. My compatriot Capt Alexi Nocolov and I worked with PMDG on the 747-400 as we were both actively flying the plane at the time. In my view the most difficult part of the project was reverse engineering the computer driven auto flight system. At least the six etc does not have that issue! However there are hoops to clear with regards to the venerable CB16-17 R2800's and the various supercharger settings. Some thought that the flight engineer was the most important part of the crew!

Fairbanks and Anchorage still have some sixes flying daily! Great to hear them cranking up, clouds of blur smoke. A friend who is retired from other stuff is flying one these days.

The four, six and seven though they might look similar are very different planes should one model the engines closely, especially the turbo compound engines of the seven. The complexity of those engines is one reason the plane jane but reliable R2800 of the six are still flying today.

Regards: Tom

Did you read Rob Randazzo's comments ?
    Yes I have, but my question was more like: "how will it compare with an Accusim bird" ?
    I understood they made a precise modelling of the engine behavior, but there isn't anything about "aging" engine, so I'm just curious. This could well be my very first PMDG purchase

I have a hunge they won't let us master this beautiful beast all on our own, Alan.
    Hope that's the case. Managing a DC-6 isn't exactly fodder for FS2Crew (unless Bryan York decides to go in a completely different direction). But some degree of crew assist would be... well, definitely helpful, and maybe required.

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Yes I have, but my question was more like: "how will it compare with an Accusim bird" ?
    I understood they made a precise modelling of the engine behavior, but there isn't anything about "aging" engine, so I'm just curious.
    IIRC, the NGX (and maybe others) include service-based maintenance, so I'd hope for something similar here. Maybe not as characterful as the Accusim variety but we can hope.

My first impulse was to wait for the P3D version, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this is going to get me to load up X-Plane again...

-- Saint-Exupery

Yep, this would get me into installing x-plane as a secondary sim.

Although, I'd be considerably worried that I just wouldn't be committed enough to master a 'study sim' version of a DC-6, as much as I might want to.
    Jim Stewart

Hi Jan,

Quote Originally Posted by Javis
    Sjeeezzz, this news is really the only reason why i visit the Avsim/PMDG forum just about every day ( for about 3 years.... ) and here you come beating me to it ! I guess you must've done pretty much the same, haven't you !
    yes, of course Although today I was actually looking for some news about the upcoming NGX service pack. So it was a nice surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis
    Despite the great news and particularly the amazing VC screenies i couldn't help letting out a sigh too..... Here PMDG have us FSX propliner afficionados waiting for 3 years for news about their exiting DC-6 project and now it is finally presented all of a sudden X-Plane is the word...
    That's true. On the other hand, I always feared that they might cancel the project somewhere down the road like they did it with the Dash-8. After all they also called it a 'filler project' - just like the Dash-8 project. And obviously there was not much time left between all the 7X7 projects. So seeing today that the DC-6 is somehow part of a bigger picture is quite a relief! I'm now sure that the project won't be canceled and that makes waiting much easier

The advantage of the DC-6 is that it has no FE station. So all the controls, buttons and switches are accessible from the pilot seat. Therefore one does not have to switch back and forth between the different stations. That will make it much easier to fly the plane

Greetings
    Tim
    Last edited by Tim-HH; March 4th, 2015 at 11:17.
    Greetings
    Tim

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    With P3D fast becoming the dominant flight sim platform it completely mystifies me as to why developers like PMDG still refuse to support P3D. It is time they woke up and start smelling the roses and realised that P3D is here to stay.

While they maintain this head in the sand attitude PMDG products are off my list. Frankly I will stick with my excellent AH/JF DC-6 thank you.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

In fairness to PMDG, they do support P3D. The 777 for P3D has been released, the 737 is due for release momentarily, and their announcement about the DC-6 says that it'll be available for P3D and for FSX - it's just that they're releasing the X-Plane version first, which I guess makes sense if they decided to treat it as their testbed project.

Not everyone is happy about their P3D pricing, which if I understand it correctly involves the full purchase of a new license, no discount for previous ownership. But that may have to do with the amount of work involved or with licensing requirements. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.

But the good (I guess) news is that there'll be a PMDG DC-6 for P3D -we'll just have to watch the X-Plane guys get to the flightline first....

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    With P3D fast becoming the dominant flight sim platform it completely mystifies me as to why developers like PMDG still refuse to support P3D. It is time they woke up and start smelling the roses and realised that P3D is here to stay.

While they maintain this head in the sand attitude PMDG products are off my list. Frankly I will stick with my excellent AH/JF DC-6 thank you.
    Wow Pat,

I usually highly respect and value your responses, but you must have gotten out of bed on the wrong foot with this one.

PMDG is actually in the midst of making their products compattible with P3D, as can be read on their support forum.
    You might want to update your information

Respectfully,

Manfred
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Yes, the PMDG 777 is out for P3D now and the NGX soon.

I do love P3D and like the OP I love the smokin', drippin' fire breathing radials!

Now....could they do a Boeing B314 in their spare time?!

CK
    Flying Canada's "Left Coast"

This bird is gorgeous!! And all those switches to flip and buttons to mash, I'm in big time on this one.
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
    DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified 1000W

Very much looking forward to this release and I am excited that PMDG has more 'classic' projects in the works.

PMDG has indeed been supporting P3D, the 777 for P3D has been out for about a month now.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-HH View Post
    Hi Jan,yes, of course Although today I was actually looking for some news about the upcoming NGX service pack. So it was a nice surprise.
    I can imagine, Tim! Because it's really an X-Plane topic i might've even overlooked it !

That's true. On the other hand, I always feared that they might cancel the project somewhere down the road like they did it with the Dash-8. After all they also called it a 'filler project' - just like the Dash-8 project. And obviously there was not much time left between all the 7X7 projects. So seeing today that the DC-6 is somehow part of a bigger picture is quite a relief! I'm now sure that the project won't be canceled and that makes waiting much easier
    Even the original announcement screenies prove that a tremendous amount of work must've gone in the VC already. And the external model looks to be in beta stage on top of that. I can't really imagine the devs of this amazing gem would throw it all in the trash can.... But you're right of course, fantastic to know that the DC-6 project is finally well underway even if it's not for FSX initially. I believe X-Plane is on Steam now, the minute the DC-6 is released i'm on it! ( just checked.... ai,ai....55 euri ! and no reflections.... and totally different keys structure compared to FSX IIRC.... didn't like that at all! Oh, well, only one PMDG DC-6 once in a lifetime i suppose... )

Have to agree with a poster on Avsim forum who says that without reflection the X-Plane DC-6 external model looks a bit plasticky. Certainly compared to the initial screenies which no doubt are from FSX.

The advantage of the DC-6 is that it has no FE station. So all the controls, buttons and switches are accessible from the pilot seat. Therefore one does not have to switch back and forth between the different stations. That will make it much easier to fly the plane
    Exactly ! And lets not forget the words of RR himself when he announced the project : Quote "Low climbout angles, slow acceleration, carefully planned descents with plenty of drag so you can keep the power up in order to maintain engine temperatures and avoid torque loading the engines! (Don't worry- we'll teach you what all of that means!) Unquote

In any case, i'm ready! XP,FSX,P3D or whatever!

Cheers,
    Jan

I am in the opposite camp here. I used to fly the A2A B-377 alot and found managing all the systems something that
    kept the boredom out of long flights.

When COTS came along I pretty much stopped flying the 377, although I could 'disengage' the virtual crew.

I have my #2 hat switch on my X-47 set to switch me between Left Set, right seat, FE station and Nav station
    with a flick of my thumb. That makes it easy to manage everything. Also, with TIR, I can look over my shoulder
    to the FE panel to see if anything 'needs attention'.

These days I fly my A2A B-17G online, almost exclusively, with the 91st Bombardment Group. Flying formation adds
    the needed 'challenge' to the otherwise benign operation of the 17.

Although I don't fly non-Accu-Sim aircraft as a rule, if the PDMG DC-6 is 'sufficiently modeled' I may give it a shot.

Paul

USS Dewey DLG-14, ET"C" School Treasure Island-Instructor, OASU/VX-8 Aircrewman

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-HH View Post
    MUCH MUCH easier, I'm sure hahah!
    How are you Tim?? Miss our liitle e-mail chats...Great times!

Cheers, Rob
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Even the original announcement screenies prove that a tremendous amount of work must've gone in the VC already. And the external model looks to be in beta stage on top of that. I can't really imagine the devs of this amazing gem would throw it all in the trash can....
    Yes, when I saw the first pictures I thought they would release it within the next few weeks. Only the following three years of silence worried me a bit

I believe X-Plane is on Steam now, the minute the DC-6 is released i'm on it! ( just checked.... ai,ai....55 euri ! and no reflections.... and totally different keys structure compared to FSX IIRC.... didn't like that at all! Oh, well, only one PMDG DC-6 once in a lifetime i suppose... )
    I guess I also need a X-Plane copy now. Luckily Steam has always many bargain offers. Just two month ago they offered 50% off on X-Plane 10. Normally Steam has another big sale in one of the coming months. I'll drop you a note when I spot something interesting

Quote Originally Posted by robcap View Post
    How are you Tim?? Miss our liitle e-mail chats...Great times!
    Hey, great to hear from you, Rob! I'm fine, thank you. I hope you are as well! Great times indeed...also our meeting in Buckeberg. We should repeat that one day

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim