A Simple Scenery Makeover!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Simple Scenery Makeover!

A Simple Scenery Makeover!

I made this up a week ago and then before I was able to post, the site went down. This is something I thought some would find interesting. If you're curious about SBuilderX and what it can do. This is a series of images going from the default airport to a photoreal makeover. Total time expended: Approx. 3 hrs.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

The last two:

Current System Specs:

What a difference! Wouldn't it be great if there was a simple kit to change all those default green oblong strips into something like Ed's created?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Now that was very very interesting.

I demand you post no further so I will not learn the masters tricks how to make an airport from scratch.

My wife is already upset with all the time I have spent converting FS9 airports to FSX.

Cease I say!

Edit: please change the title from "Simple" to "Difficult" - it is better for me and others in the long run.

Blog Entries
    EXCEPTIONAL work their Ed....Looking forward to it.

Nice work Ed!
    Guess I don't have to release my version now (now known as Charles G Kalko airport)
    Best, Michael

Wow! I want to do this for my home airport! (Have absolutely no idea how, though).

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    Nice work Ed!
    Guess I don't have to release my version now (now known as Charles G Kalko airport)
    Oh no. . . .lol. . .I'm not releasing this one Michael. It was an "in-house" release only. Something I did just to show this little demo.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Wow! I want to do this for my home airport! (Have absolutely no idea how, though).
    Walter, my other thought was to do a video, showing the steps it took to get the satellite image, making the "blur" and water maps and so on.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Oh no. . . .lol. . .I'm not releasing this one Michael. It was an "in-house" release only. Something I did just to show this little demo.
    it's cool Ed. You know me, picky as usual and until I can get the winter texture just right and solve the runway flickering I have on the custom ground poly, it's not going anywhere and with the holidays and me in retail management, been pretty busy as of late.

It would be great to find someone to contribute some ORBX quality generic hangers and houses and then we could tackle a state together doing these mods as it'a what I like to do also.
    Best, Michael

OK, hijack opportunity here.

Ed's projects was an inspiration and I was also bitten by the photoreal bug. I recently flew a RL Super Cub to a grass field north of Athens, Kopaida. I have done the nearby "Ikaros" field some time ago so really needed to add this in FSX. Now grass really means photoreal so I managed to obtain some good images but the colour was dreadful. My textures are GEX so the colour matching was optimised for them. The following twopics show the initial placing, and then the colour correction and the editing out of the parked planes and buildings that are going to be added as 3d objects later:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fsx+2013-11-14+08-42-27-94.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	160

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fsx+2013-11-14+23-27-00-35.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	159

Autogen and seasonal variations will also be done.

OK hijack over, apologies Ed and thank you for the inspiration!

Very very nice falcon, i like what you have done very very much! If only i could do so for 2 of my most liked airports! EDSB and EDKN...

Walter, my other thought was to do a video, showing the steps it took to get the satellite image, making the "blur" and water maps and so on.
    YES! Please do a video! That looks GREAT, Ed.

Don

Thank you Ed . Caught my attention, as I seem to be drawn and getting closer to learning scenery design myself

Sheesh, what a difference! You make it look easy, even though I do know better.

How low and slow can one fly in photoreal sceneries? Does it take a supercomputer?

Quote Originally Posted by KellyB View Post
    Sheesh, what a difference! You make it look easy, even though I do know better.

How low and slow can one fly in photoreal sceneries? Does it take a supercomputer?
    Actually, "Low and slow" suits photoreal scenery to a "T". Doing over 200kts over photoreal would probably have the same effect it does on default textures. . .the faster you fly, the more the system is taxed to write the ground textures and autogen based on your slider settings and how much CPU/GPU speed you have. I wouldn't say that photoreal as a whole is taxing, but if your sliders are maxed and there's a lot of autogen and scenery objects to display, it may slow it down it bit, again, depending on CPU/GPU speed.

Current System Specs:

Heaven forbid ............... Orbix quality?
    Their testers need to stay away from the Fosters. They miss too much.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Just wanted to say a BIG thank you to Ed who made the tutorials for this ! I've always wanted to put my hand to photoreal airports. Here is what I've done so far. This is a small glider airfiled here in the UK (London Gliding Club) Dunstable, its far from complete but it looks pretty good I think. I managed to get the colour correct for FTX Global summer at the moment then I'll move onto the other seasons, I hope you like it. Again many thank Ed for doing the tutorials.

Attachment 447 Attachment 448 Attachment 449 Attachment 450 Attachment 451
    More in next post...
    Craig

I just love these small airfield.
    They really come to life once you add these photobackground, and then they go to level+1 once you add add autogen buildings, and trees. Very impressive, guys.

I made this up a week ago and then before I was able to post, the site went down. This is something I thought some would find interesting. If you're curious about SBuilderX and what it can do. This is a series of images going from the default airport to a photoreal makeover. Total time expended: Approx. 3 hrs.
    The end result is night and day better than the default -- as are most addons.

From looking at the curved road in the foreground of the first set of images it looks like you changed the location and orientation of the runway. Any nav aids, published charts, etc., to contend with if that was the case?

The only issue I found while making seasonal variations in my project is the fact that you can not assign hard winter variation that is applicable only dynamically when it snows. The seasonal variations are only assigned to months of the year. This way when it snows the surrounding textures become white but the photoscenery part remains green.

Sbuilderx and google earth

Would someone explain to me how exactly to get Google to work in SbuilderX.

I have downloaded various versions of Google Server zips, but can't figure out how to put which pieces of those files where in SbuilderX. In the zip, there is a folder called Code and a separate file called GoogleServer.dll.

I haven't a clue as to what to put where and which to ignore.

Thanks for any pointers will be truly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyB View Post
    Would someone explain to me how exactly to get Google to work in SbuilderX.

I have downloaded various versions of Google Server zips, but can't figure out how to put which pieces of those files where in SbuilderX. In the zip, there is a folder called Code and a separate file called GoogleServer.dll.

I haven't a clue as to what to put where and which to ignore.

Thanks for any pointers will be truly appreciated.
    I'm not at my computer right now, but I did a video tutorial on that as well. Its in the SOH downloads area. Just search falcon409...or SBuilderX may also bring it up.

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 108