DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 to 40 Nov4 sticky - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 to 40 Nov4 sticky

Phantastic input by both bazzar and John!
    Thank you...!

I would like to point out, that I think Dax Sweetmanns repaints included in the package are fine pieces of work!
    Have many of his repaints for the CS aircraft and admire his work!

Cheers...
    Godspeed, Bernd
    NATO E-3A Squadron 1, 1993 - 2000

"Runway left behind and altitude above are useless..." Al "Tex" Johnston
    Remember YUKLA 27
    Remember ESSO 77

"For example, the fuel setting is setup from the chart in the official United ops manual." There is your problem. United has a reputation for doing things their own way, regardless of what the manufacturer does. Especially in the old days. Most of the changes brought out in the DC-8 were because United crashed one here and ran off the runway there... We had a bunch of ex United 71's that had things on them that were really wrong. Like digital fuel gauges that didn't work, because a captain ran one out of gas in Portland Oregon. Rather than fixing the captain and their training, they "fixed' the airplane. I could go on for hours. Any procedure you get from United I would treat with a grain of salt. Just think about it in a nice logical flow of events. Does the United procedure make sense? Why would you start using fuel from a tank you don't use all the time? Why would you use fuel from alternate tanks that may not have fuel in them all the time. Your procedure for putting all the fuel control levers up for start is wrong as well. All the fuel control levers should be down in the cutoff position. You place the fuel lever for the engine being started up at 15% N2, you then have fuel flow and ignition. The pilot starting the motors is looking at all the engine gauges during start. Otherwise the engineer, if the N2 gauges are in the back is calling out 15% and 35% N2. The 35% is for starter cutout. Unlike the newer jets were the starts switch opens automatically, on the Jurrassic Jet, you had to hold them until you hit 35% or in the case of the 70's,you hit 50% N2. You held those switches for a looooong time on the 70. So long that UPS put switches with longer levers so their pilots wouldn't get tired cramped fingers.

That is one cool bit of trivia...!
    Thank you for your inside view on how the DC8 was operated...:salute:
    Godspeed, Bernd
    NATO E-3A Squadron 1, 1993 - 2000

"Runway left behind and altitude above are useless..." Al "Tex" Johnston
    Remember YUKLA 27
    Remember ESSO 77

I will get her for sure---later.
    For the moment---no money left.:isadizzy:
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bully707 View Post

That is one cool bit of trivia...!
    Thank you for your inside view on how the DC8 was operated...:salute:

Here is a link to a website with info about the accident: http://www.airdisaster.com/investigations/ua173.shtml

United's fix was to replace the Douglas fuel quantity system which worked quite well with a system with large digital readouts that the captain could see that was problematic at best. I can't tell you how many times when trucking across a large body of water I couldn't get a fuel reading using the gauges. It was good that the jurrassic jet had a magnetic drip sticks that could read the fuel quantity. We used to stick the tanks before every flight and then use a fuel log for every flight over four hours and every over water flight. You get real good at doing fuel burn calculations in your head on the fly so to speak. You can never have enough fuel, unless you are on fire.

Charter Member 2015
    For some reason it has a hard hit on fps while taxiing?

David

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Calling JF Tower.

Just bought the DC8 and reporting it works on Windows 8 64. However a minor issue. Windows 8 is coughing on the pdf and I had to refer to my hand down Air Canada DC8 manual to start the bird. Please advise with re PDF W8.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Hello all,

@johndetrick;
    I'm able to nose up this DC-8 at around 58-60 Kias, either half or full load even over GW!
    Is this a normal attitude for a DC-8 knowing that the V1, Vr and V2 are between 120 till 152 Knts ?
    thanks in advance for your lights and clues:salute:
    Have few good ones Folks,
    Yves

Like all new releases, does this one not deserve a sticky?

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeromeo View Post
    Hello all,

@johndetrick;
    I'm able to nose up this DC-8 at around 58-60 Kias, either half or full load even over GW!
    Is this a normal attitude for a DC-8 knowing that the V1, Vr and V2 are between 120 till 152 Knts ?
    thanks in advance for your lights and clues:salute:
    The simple and short answer is no. In the real world,the pilot flying at 80 kts will do an elevator check by pushing forward on the yoke and bringing it back to neutral. The nose dips a little, but not much. This is to check that the elevator is not stuck. The elevator on this airplane is unpowered and takes a bit of force on rotation to lift the nose up. A crash of a -63 at JFK caused by a jammed elevator caused this procedure to be added to the checklist as well as a new elevator position indicator, which is checked on the taxi checklist. That reminds me of something else missing on the new model is the lack of the gustlock on the FO's side of the cockpit. A long lever with a big yellow knob on it. It locked the elevator and rudder in place when parked.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Agreed. It's a very awkward-looking oversight. Sends a wrong message, even if it's not intended.

DL

Quote Originally Posted by johndetrick View Post
    The simple and short answer is no. In the real world,the pilot flying at 80 kts will do an elevator check by pushing forward on the yoke and bringing it back to neutral. The nose dips a little, but not much. This is to check that the elevator is not stuck. The elevator on this airplane is unpowered and takes a bit of force on rotation to lift the nose up. A crash of a -63 at JFK caused by a jammed elevator caused this procedure to be added to the checklist as well as a new elevator position indicator, which is checked on the taxi checklist. That reminds me of something else missing on the new model is the lack of the gustlock on the FO's side of the cockpit. A long lever with a big yellow knob on it. It locked the elevator and rudder in place when parked.
    I thought also it was not possible, so a little of FD tuning is necessary
    Thanks for your answers.
    Yves

absolutely:salute:
    Cheers.
    Yves

It does! :salute:

Enjoying a lot this plane. Thanks JF!
    There is a ISG panel available in flightsim.com if anybody is interested. And of course, it deserves a sticky as everybody else :salute:
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Calling JF Tower.

Just bought the DC8 and reporting it works on Windows 8 64. However a minor issue. Windows 8 is coughing on the pdf and I had to refer to my hand down Air Canada DC8 manual to start the bird. Please advise with re PDF W8.
    Could you submit a ticket so our support team can look into that for you? http://www.justflight.com/support-contact

Thanks
    Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Calling JF Tower.

Hi,
    Have a go at re-downloading the PDF as the manual doesn't have any problem loading on W8 under normal circumstances. In fact I think it was written on a W8 PC. If you still have problems please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by flaviossa View Post
    Enjoying a lot this plane. Thanks JF!
    There is a ISG panel available in flightsim.com if anybody is interested. And of course, it deserves a sticky as everybody else :salute:
    Thank you, have to try:salute:
    Yves

Charter Member 2015
    The flaps gauge does not work and the radar altimeter looks like it is missing something.

David

The flap gauge will only work if you have turned the power on.
    It's all in the manual...

Quote Originally Posted by Pepere View Post
    and the radar altimeter looks like it is missing something.

David
    Sounds like you might be referring to the blanking plate that obscures part of the scale?

Originally Posted by bazzar

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Agreed. It's a very awkward-looking oversight. Sends a wrong message, even if it's not intended.

DL
    As moderator, I take full responsibility for the oversight. Definitely not intending to send the wrong message. My sincere apologies.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Hello Folks,

any repainters for a DC-8-43 out there:ques:
    Thanks in advance.

NB: glad to see, on the DC-8 config tool, the words CFM-56...
    Yves

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
    Sounds like you might be referring to the blanking plate that obscures part of the scale?
    Mine is not blinking, just missing a part.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Pepere View Post
    Mine is not blinking, just missing a part.

David
    Blanker, not blinker. It's a black plate over the gauge.