New AMD Phenom II
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New AMD Phenom II

fcfcfc

New AMD Phenom II

Has anyone looked into this new CPU and how it would perform running FSX?

harleyman
    From all my reading it is still lacking for FSX...

Intel is still King ....

Charter Member 2015
    While AMD have come a long way with the new Phenom II they are still way behind Intel.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I agree, AMD is still lagging behind Intel.

harleyman
    I just spoke with Ted,txnetcop, and he is building one as we speak..i will get the full low down on it in a day or so.....

Stay tuned till then for a good answer on your question....

Just built one.

AMD Phenom 11 940
    Asus M3A -79T Mobo
    Noctua CPU Cooler
    4gig Patriot 800mhz Ram (will upgrade later to 1066mhz)
    Nvidia 800GTX (will upgrade later to Nvidia 295 GPU)
    1000w PSU.

Have only just finished putting it together, so have not yet tried to OC it.

Tried FSX, smooth as silk at 35fps locked, all seems to be running well so far. The OC tools with this mobo should improve it even more.

Idle Temp 35C.

Changed Affinity Mask to 15 in FSX Cfg.

I know someone else who is running it at 3.8mhz on air, but I don't know what his temps are like.

harleyman
    Cool...Thanks Bruce..Keep us imformed please...

fcfcfc
    Bruce, how have things been with your Phenom II?

harleyman
    fcfcfc....

The latest news from builders is that its a great performer for FSX....

If you wanted one I think it just might be a great choice..Expecially if your mobo is ready for the CPU already...........

fcfcfc
    thanks harleyman

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Smooth as silk for me the Phenom is. Works perfect and crisp and cool. And thats not even overclock. Frames are very strong and fluid at 35 no shutters or blurr of scenery. haven't tried the phenom out on dx10 mode although.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Looking at the Phenom II 940 as well in an upgraded system. You guys who are using it, what sort of settings do you tune FSX to run smooth, or can you crank it up to the max even with some of the more demanding add ons?

The Phenom II is a good CPU, right on par with Intel's Core2Quads but still miles away from the i7s.

Does even the i7 let sliders really go all to the right including traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by rwmarth View Post
    NOPE NOT IN FSX LOL not unless u do some major FSX Configuration tweaks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Im Curious; what sort of settings does one run with an i7 or a q9650 or a Phenom 2 940 for that matter? I read about how one's computer can get so and so fps locked and steady, but I can do that with my 2.2ghz quad now too depending on my settings...

From almost all reports of the Phenom II I've been hearing 35-40 FPS, but with no information about the settings. Anyone with a Phenom II mind sharing the rest of their specs, FSX settings and FPS?

Blog Entries
    I built this one for a friend a little while back:
    http://sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=8446

While the 940 is nice, my Gigabyte x48 with an E8600 runs circles around it when it comes to fps with FSX and my other games. Still it was good to see AMD start competing with at least some of Intel's Penryn quad cores and Core 2s.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I regretted to have spent the money with this cpu

(I use XP SP3)

Quote Originally Posted by rwmarth View Post
    All except traffic.

Phenom IIs just scream for overclocking...

Blog Entries
    I had to kick the Phenom II 940 up to 3.8 to get the performance I was getting. With the HD4870 it was just fine. I ran very high textures most settings full right.

I still believe the i7 Core is a better buy for the future of FSX flying. If the budget won't bear it the higher Penryns do just fine and the cost is almost comparable to the AMD Phenom now.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    I had to kick the Phenom II 940 up to 3.8 to get the performance I was getting. With the HD4870 it was just fine. I ran very high textures most settings full right.

I still believe the i7 Core is a better buy for the future of FSX flying. If the budget won't bear it the higher Penryns do just fine and the cost is almost comparable to the AMD Phenom now.
    Ted

That txnetcop has all the toys.........:argue: LOL :wave:

fcfcfc
    Thanks everyone. Really useful info.

I have not been able to make up my mind between FSX and XP9. Is there an inevitable compromise to run both? Sorry to bring up XP in a FS area. Am I right to think that FSX is CPU bottlenecked and XP9 is GPU limited?

Would the PII or i7 do well for both?

fcfcfc
    I just noticed a new 3.2GHz black edition.

For MB, Asus has this OC tool that would allow tweaking without reboot. Is this helpful or should I stick to Gigabyte which everyone seems to favour?

What I have in mind is:
    AMD 955, HIS 4870 1GB ICE, CoolerMaster RR UV8 fan, Zalman ZM750HP, Kingston HyperX 1066 8GB. The Gigabyte MA790GPDS4H is no long available here for some reason. So thinking about an Asus 790FX type instead. HD will probably be the Caviar Green.

Members who have read this thread: 0