Vancouver+ 3.0 and P3D

Thread: Vancouver+ 3.0 and P3D

Vancouver+ 3.0 and P3D

Tried installing Vancouver+ into P3D and it was a no go as P3D did not recognize FSAddon. I have the FSX exe. copied into P3D to recognize FSX programs. As I live in this area it would be nice to have this program working. Any workarounds?

Blog Entries
    I had it installed and working prior to doing a re format. I had FSX installed, installed it into that as per normal and then installed it into P3D through the scenery library. I've found it useful to have a basic installation of FSX for just this purpose.

Ian.

Vancouver+ 3.0 and P3D

Thanks Ian, I will re-install FSX for just this purpose. I have the Dreamscenery YVR installed into P3D so it would be a bonus to have Vancouver+ installed. One question though, should I install Vancouver+ into FSX and then install into P3D Scenery Library?

Hi guys:

Nearly all scenery packages for both FS9 and FSX which were authored in part by Holger Sandmann since his latter freeware days require various specific edits to the FS Terrain.Cfg, and more recently, several other FS "system" files as well; such edits are best made by specially-written install/configuration utilities to avoid irreparable damage to one's FS system files.

IMHO, it would may not work very well to simply add the Vancouver Plus V3 (aka "Van3+") scenery Area layers to the P3D scenery library GUI stack of layers, as you will likely be missing some scenery content, and may have certain areas which are not excluded so that replaced / overlaid custom scenery content can be properly visualized at run time in FSX.

It is possible that you could "trick" the Van3+ installer into thinking it is installing into FSX by making backups of certain Windows registry keys and FS system files, then re-naming certain FS system files prior to copying your FSX.exe executable into the (temporarily re-named) P3D main root folder.

However, this would still put your P3D installation at risk, and there may be additional considerations not mentioned here. which would also be needed to get Van3+ to work properly in P3d, so unless you are willing to make an extra backup of your entire P3D installation, it might be best to not try installing into a re-named Prepar3D folder chain.

At best, you might be able to trick the Van3+ installer into targeting a "dummy" FSX folder chain in addition to making (temporary) edits to certain keys in the Windows registry so you can study what files are put where, but that may fail if the installer launches and runs the "configurator" ...which might need to find and change FSX files other than just Terrain.Cfg.

Furthermore, after installation the Van3+ "configuration" utility would not work on the P3D system files after a manually-implemented setup, so I think it likely that the official advice from the author(s) and publisher might be for end-users to not attempt doing a manual "port" to P3d.

Perhaps upon receiving additional inquires about P3D installation, the author(s) and publisher may subsequently make available to registered users of Vancouver+ v3, an "official" P3D installation / configuration utility ? :ques:

You may wish to inquire at the support forum to see if Holger and/or Jon Patch would be willing to offer a modified installer, or to post a vetted workflow which is more comprehensive (and authoritative) than what I have described above.

FYI: Apparently Bryan Wallis inquired about proting Van3+ over to P3D around 18 Months ago, and the idea was still under consideration by the author(s) and the publisher.

http://fsaddon.eu/wpfsaddon/?page_id...ockheed-martin

FSAddon Vancouver Support Forum

http://fsaddon.eu/wpfsaddon/?page_id...-support-forum

Hope this helps !

GaryGB

Members who have read this thread: 2