Why we fly

Thread: Why we fly

Why we fly

Found this awesome video, IFR approach into NZQN, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mxmFCw-Dig
    Live to fly, fly to live. Do or die, ACES HIGH!

CPL(A), Single Pilot Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, tail-wheel, aerobatic, formation
    Category A Flight Instructor with night, aerobatics, spinning, terrain awareness and basic mountain flying endorsements
    General Aviation Flight Examiner
    Chief Flying Instructor for Auckland Aero Club

Held my breath as they descended into the clouds with that mountain on the left!
    WOW

Thanks for sharing
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

I too held my breath during this approach, even though I reasonably certain that the outcome would be successful, otherwise we'd have no video to watch.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

No doubt, at least I would hope the pilot has made this approach without the clouds. Passengers would have the ultimate trust in the pilot.

Great video, thanks.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Instrument approaches are always a thrill, this beautiful video is no exception. You have to put your faith in your instruments, ATC, the folks who publish the charts, and your own abilities. Dropping below the layer and seeing that beautiful runway in front of you is such a beautiful sight.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've flown that approach several times in FS9 as it was a possible airport in the RTWR the year we had a 'difficult approaches' section. The trick is to rapidly lose altitude over the lake so that you make the last turn (around a cliff) at the correct altitude for final approach. As you complete the turn the airport is straight ahead. It's a lot of fun but nail-biting if the weather is anything but clear.
    Larry

LOL, you just made me go buy the ORB X NZQN. Have to try that approach, and what better way than with a good version of Queenstown International. But it's all your fault, LOL, I'd been resisting, really I had...

Sue

Ha only reason I don't have Orbx NZQN yet is that I'm flying round Orbx England! Once back in NZ it's at the top of the list.. Enjoy the approach!
    Live to fly, fly to live. Do or die, ACES HIGH!

CPL(A), Single Pilot Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, tail-wheel, aerobatic, formation
    Category A Flight Instructor with night, aerobatics, spinning, terrain awareness and basic mountain flying endorsements
    General Aviation Flight Examiner
    Chief Flying Instructor for Auckland Aero Club

Members who have read this thread: 0